The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!
bard91 last edited by
@ffff0 I imagine that would have been enough to at least get it on the list.
Personally, I'm interested in it as I do generally like Telltale games, but there are others I haven't played that I would play before Tales From the Borderlands.
Axel last edited by
That one was rocky, but what a winner! I don't think many of us would have bet on Shovel Knight taking GOTY when this started.
Here's the hard stats:
- Shovel Knight is the lowest score for a winner so far (48 pts vs 71 pts for The Witcher 3, previous lowest score). It also won by the smallest margin, 5 pts ahead of second place. With 48 pts, it would have been 3rd in 2015, 5th in 2016 and 7th in 2017.
- But Shovel Knight is the first indie game to win GOTY (unless you count The Witcher 3 as an indie, I guess).
- Wolfenstein: The New Order actually earned the most #1 votes (5 vs 4 for Shovel Knight) and the most total votes (17 people).
- The Top 3 are all Western-developed games, that's unusual for this community!
- The scores were very close below the Top 4. One vote would have been enough to bump up 12th place Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to 5th place instead (4 pts difference). Hope all those who forgot it feel extra guilty now!
- The two Danganronpa games ending up in the top 10 are the two big surprises of the list (outside of the winner itself).
- 4 Wii U exclusives, including 2 in the Top 5. 2014 was the year of the Wii U! It was also the only home console on which the GOTY Shovel Knight was available in 2014.
- 3 PC exclusives (Hearthstone, The Banner Saga, Divinity: Original Sin).
- 2 PS4 exclusives, including a demo. Interesting to remember that Sony only started killing it with its exclusives in 2015.
- 0 Xbox One exclusive.
- It was actually the year of the third-party games! The stand-outs being Ubisoft with 3 games (South Park: The Stick of Truth, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War) and Bethesda with 2 (Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Evil Within).
- Notorious games that missed out: Watch Dogs, Titanfall, 6 points.
- Sunset Overdrive, Wasteland 2, 5 points.
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, 4 points.
- Infamous First Light, Far Cry 4, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, 3 points.
- Driveclub, Nidhogg, 2 points.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed Rogue, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, 1 point.
I've played 12 out of those 25 games. I'm only interested in one day trying Transistor and The Banner Saga (soon on Switch!).
Next time we do one of those retro GOTYs, I'll add a list of games to my original post to make sure big names don't get forgotten, but I still encourage you to comb Wikipedia for the more obscure ones that you may have loved!
It's been super fun for me as usual, thanks to everyone who participated! Til next time!
Ringedwithtile last edited by
Thanks again for doing this! As with most recent years, I haven't played a whole lot of the list, but it helps to put things in perspective and give me the feeling of 'hey, maybe I should give that a shot!'
Hazz3r last edited by Hazz3r
Man! No love for Wasteland 2 other than me!? Shame, it's a fantastic game that more people should play.
Not surprised how low Titanfall came but I think in hindsight now that we have Titanfall 2, it's easy to think of it as a bad game comparatively. Having not played Titanfall 2 yet, I can't make that distinction. Probably one of the more interesting examples in this countdown.
It's also interesting to note that there are quite a few exclusives from each camp in the trenches.
My list was:
- Wasteland 2
- Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
- The Lego Movie: Videogame
Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series
bard91 last edited by
@hazz3r Wasteland 2 for me is another one of the great looking cRPGs that have come out recently (and that don't stop coming) and for which I don't have enough time,but from what I've seen it seems like a really great game.
Thanks @Axel. These threads are always a fun time. I wish I could have chatted more during it but I was a little busy. Here was my full list of mostly games that didn't make it that I can say are really great
- Alien Isolation
- Shovel Knight
- Velocity 2X
- The Evil Within
- Far Cry 4
A lot of the honourable mentions could have switched around and I basically just beat Tropical Freeze which would have made the list no problem. Overall though, happy with what I submitted.
Now every horror fan out there, please check out Isolation.
Brannox last edited by
Is it cool to move this and the Top 2015 threads to the Hall of Fame? I don't know what the criteria is for a thread to go to that category and I noticed this and the 2015 one are not there while 2016 and 2017 are.
The Hall of Fame is kinda for channels like this, just to go back on and maybe channels that have an insane amount of posts and no longer load. Something like that. I'll move it now.
Brannox last edited by
@tokeeffe9 Thanks for both the move and the clarification!
logic__error last edited by
I disappeared for a week! Shovel Knight taking the top spot is perfect, I haven't gotten to play it yet but I've watched enough to know it's deserving.
Little late but here is my list.
#1 Fantasy Life
#2 Child of Light
#3 Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc
#4 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
HM: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
HM: Hatoful Boyfriend
HM: Never Alone