#3: 0
    #4: 1 (ffff0)
    HM: 2 (Hidz, xias)

Information

Release date: April 29 [US], April 30 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Platformer, Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The Banner Saga

#19. The Banner Saga - 13 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 1 (RARMSTAR)
    HM: 4 (TokyoSlim, FF7Cloud, bard91, thenerdtheword)

Information

Release date: January 14 [US/EU]
    Developer: Stoic Studio
    Publisher: Versus Evil
    Genre: Tactical role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Alright, order restored, The Banner Saga is now in its deserved spot! I double-checked the rest and there shouldn't be any more mistakes.

Also I posted Child of Light, next on the list, don't miss it!

• Child of Light is a hidden gem of 2014. Beautiful world, great story, engaging gameplay and amazing style. If you consider playing it, have no doubts and play it.

• I liked Child of Light a good deal when I finally played it as a PS Plus game last fall(?). Flying felt especially nice, and the fighting system was pleasantly unique. The game didn't make it into my list, but sure, glad to see it in top25.

And yey for Banner Saga for rising a few spots.

• I played Child of Light a bit, but i can't say that i'm really into it. I didn't care about the story from the start, and the game got stale very quickly for me. I quit playing 30 minutes in, so i can't say too much about it. Glad people liked it though, it's cool to see something different pop out from Ubisoft.

• MGSV - Ground Zeroes. It did its job for me and confirmed I was unlikely to enjoy MGSV all that much, I liked the idea of this kind of demo thing though.

Child of Light. I only played a small bit of it. The combat was good, though Grandia does the same system a lot better. The story was where it put me off though. The whole rhyming thing and the child-like vibe to it all made me doubt very much that I was going to be in for any kind of gripping plot and I just had much more interesting Jrpgs in my library to play.

• I own a physical copy of CoL on Vita which I once bought on a sale for like 9,99, never played it, lol.

• I can't remember what I eventually gave my top spot to, but it could well have been Child Of Light.
    I adored the fairy tale feel, I loved the flying around, the combat system was good and interesting. I cared about the cast of characters. I was a little emotional at the ending.

But mostly I love the soundtrack, I listen to it all the time. It's haunting and beautiful.

I'm delighted it made the list.

• I had a lot of fun with Child of Light. I enjoy the variety of characters and even though it limits you to only having two characters on the field at a time, switching between them is fairly easy and adds another layer to encounters. I found the combat engaging, despite its simplicity, and it's one of a handful of games where I really utilized characters with buffs to speed myself up and slow enemies down instead of just plowing through on strength alone. The mechanic of being able to manually hover over enemies with the cursor and impede them, or do the same to your team and heal them, kept me focused. I really like the way the main character evolves through the game and having to make little adjustments to how I played whenever she grew didn't feel irksome or like I was losing something from the change. Flying in that game is just so much fun too and I love the watercolor/storybook visual style. The story isn't anything super amazing, but I think fairy tales are fun, so I was fine with it. Searching out the lost letters and piecing together the extra lore of the world definitely helped me care more about the story overall. Also, there's a good betrayal moment.

• Child of Light is one of those complete blind spots for me. From what I remember, the combat seemed interesting, but the choices made in how the game was created, like the rhyming for example, didn't appeal to me. But I'm quite happy to see a smaller game get onto the list.

Also I just want to publicly commend @Axel for editing the list to the proper order. That must have been a PAIN.

• Global Moderator

I feel like I need to play Child of Light - it keeps popping up on good lists! Im not sure of what have kept me away from playing it already, especially as its also on Vita.

• Mario Kart 8

#18. Mario Kart 8 - 14 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (Axel, SabotageTheTruth, Crepe)
    HM: 4 (Sazime, A7X458, FerrisK96, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: May 30 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Kart racing
    Platform(s): Wii U

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• @Brannox Thanks, it wasn't too bad actually, good thing it was spotted early!

Haven't had time to comment on the last few games revealed, so I'll give my impressions now.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Can't remember if I got it through PS+ or on sale for very cheap, but either way it felt like a great deal to me at the time, not sure how I would have felt about it had I paid full price though. I loved the gameplay and got into the story hard! I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan (had only played 1 and 2 at that point), so I had no idea who Chico and Paz were or anything like that, and I was still moved by the events of the game. I replayed it many times trying to do the different challenge missions and it felt pretty awesome to eventually know the map by heart! This game sold me on Phantom Pain and I do agree that Phantom Pain would have benefited from a few locations as intricately detailed as Camp Omega, but that's another discussion.

Mario Kart 8

That one felt good as a Wii U owner at the time, it was the first game that could become a system seller and turn the console's fortune around. Obviously it didn't, but it still was an amazing leap forward for the series. The HD graphics are gorgeous, the framerate is smooth, the soundtrack is catchy as hell and the controls feel just right. The track selection, especially when you include the DLCs, is in my opinion the best to date in any Mario Kart. It's hard to imagine how much better Mario Kart 9 can get.

• Ah Mario Kart! Ok, I like Mario Kart. Don't really love it. Because I don't own a Wii U, I didn't play this version. I DID play the Switch version last year with some friends for about three or four races. (The only thing I've played on the Switch to be honest). Controls felt weird and because I wasn't used to it, I didn't do well. Still had a great time though. Really happy to see Mario Kart represented on the list. A tiny bit bummed it isn't higher, but ah well.

• I'm surprised Mario Kart is so low. It's arguably one of the best Wii U games not only for 2014, but for the Wii U as a whole. I'm not complaining, just surprised.

• MK 8 is a 2017 switch game, guys. Don't pretend it came out on some console nobody's ever heard of.

• Mario Kart 8 was good stuff, probably woulda been in my HMs if there wasn't another 2014 Wii U multiplayer game that took priority.

• @tokyoslim It's the only one of the two I own and own MK8 on. :P

I bought a new video card for my PC and PSVR this year instead of a Switch. The more I think of what I spent on those two, the more I wish I had not grabbed one and just got a Switch.

• @sazime You can just trade in that Wii-U, those things are pretty rare.