The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• @sabotagethetruth Jazzpunk makes an appearance in my HM

• I found Wolfenstein to be a rather bland FPS overall. It was fun, but didn't really stick out to me. Shovel Knight was great though, but it still kind of came and went without much of a lasting impression.

My picks were:

1. Dreamfall Chapters
    2. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd
    3. Drakengard 3
    4. P.T
    5. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
    6. Danganronpa: THH
    7. Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
    8. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

It was far from a great year for games, though the final return of some long dormant classics like The Longest Journey, Tex Murphy and Drakengard were a great pleasure to see.

• Cool, The New Order is a really good shooter. Nice story elements as well. It didn't make on my list, but it was pretty close. Shovel Knight I've never played and don't have any interest either, to be honest. That kind of magic just doesn't speak to me.

My list for 2014 looks like this:

1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    2. Tales from the Borderlands
    3. The Banner Saga
    4. South Park: The Stick of Truth

And my HM's were:
    A. Hitman Go
    B. Infamous Second Son
    C. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
    D. Watch Dogs

Thanks for doing this, Axel! Always fun to participate and see these forming up.

• My list of 2014:
    #1: Wolfenstein: The New Order
    #2: South Park: Stick of Truth
    #3: Divinity: Original Sin
    #4: The Evil Within

Honorable mentions:
    Drakengard 3
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Infamous: The Second Son
    Child of Light

• I enjoyed an uncensored UK import I played last year a lot but like South Park, uneccessary censorship made me not listing it, while removing the nazi symbols is "necessary" for a german release (this is applying to old law though and if a company would finally have the balls to send an uncensored version to the USK there is the possibilty to finally acknowledge that video games are not falling under that law anymore) changing "Nazis" into "The Regime" and basicalyl rewriting the whole premise of the story wasn't and I don't know why they did that, South Park removed the symbols but still called them Nazis, using the term Nazis is not a problem.

Shovel Knight is alright but imo very overrated.

#1: Bayonetta 2
    #2: Tales of Xillia 2
    #3: Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
    #4: Hyrule Warriors

Honorable Mentions:
    Earth Defense Force 2025
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

I'm surprised Hyrule Warriors didn't make it.

• Congrats to Shovel Knight - from everything I've seen and heard it's an absolute classic!

My picks:
    #1 - Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    #2 - Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
    #3 - Dragon Age: Inquisition
    #4 - The Banner Saga
    HM - Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
    HM - The Evil Within

• Totally deserved, maybe my most replayed game of the last 5 years.

• Here's my list! I can't believe I forgot Donkey Kong...

1. Dark Souls II
    2. Shovel Knight
    3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    4. Wolfenstein: The New Order
    5. Valiant Hearts
    6. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    7. Far Cry 4
    8. Nidhogg

• Congrats to Shovel Knight, only played it for an hour but was already very impressed by it.
    Here's my picks:
    #1 Wolfenstein The New Order
    #2 Infamous Second Son
    #3 Infamous First Light
    #4 Super Time Force
    Honorable mentions: Driveclub, Sniper Elite III, Entwined

I'm very happy with this list overall, 2014 wasn't so bad after all. I think that rhymed a bit.

• I just realized that Titanfall didn't make the list.
    :(

• First, on Shovel Knight, I really love how in an age of many games needing to be as realistic as possible, Yacht Club went retro, and captured it better than most I've seen try. I'm very curious what their next project will be once they put aside the IP for awhile. Also, I still think it's funny I called completely forgetting to add a major title in my top five predictions and was right about it being GOTY.

However, as for Wolfenstein, this was the ONLY game that I felt was great (everything else being good to meh, which I'll get to in a moment). I LOVE the no-apologies take on violence and was completely surprised by how much I really liked the story. I felt it dragged a little bit and by the time you go underwater is when I felt it was becoming a little too wrapped up in itself, but the overall campaign was fun. I especially enjoyed how the choice you make in the beginning changed the story and it was really interesting to see the differences.

As is my custom, I just want to shout out all those who also voted for it so high fives to @Sazime, @A7X458, @Faaip, @bard91, @iboshow, @Axel, @TheOtherJohnP, @Fridge-man, @SunPraiser, @NeoCweeny, @PepeElToro805, and special shoutout to @bam541, @CJTreader, @jipostus, and @Hidz

As for my list, it's reflective on how 2014 just wasn't my year:

1.) Wolfenstein: The New Order
    2.) Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
    3.) Destiny
    4.) Sunset Overdrive
    HM.) Titanfall
    HM.) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

I forgot about Titanfall when I sent my list in, but thankfully it wouldn't have mattered anyway. As I said earlier, Wolfenstein was the only "great" game for me. Borderlands was alright but nothing special. I've already commented about Destiny at its entry. Sunset Overdrive, while funny with wacky weaponry Insomniac is known for, had a little bit too much fourth wall breaking and suffers a massive pet peeve of mine: Once you complete the story, you can't start a new one unless you create a new profile. So it falls to the "Fun, but never playing" bin with Crackdown. As for Titanfall, it's strictly multiplayer, and I got it on the promise of friends playing with me. Of course, that fell through and playing it just isn't fun for me. And finally for CoD, I bought it because I enjoyed the Xbox opener for that year's E3 and along with the Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive, gave me something to play when I bought my Xbox One.

And finally, another massive thank you to @Axel for putting this together! These are always fun, regardless if I played anything of note and I'm looking forward to the next one if you choose to keep doing these!

Great lists everyone!

• Jeez, am i really the only one that liked Tales From the Borderlands?

Edit: @Sentinel-Beach and I, I guess.

• Tales was on my HMs, though admittedly it was only there in place of The Wolf Among Us. Both of those games had a weird thing where the first episode came out near the end of one year but the other four were in the next one so it kinda messed with my brain while making my list.

• You know a game is good when it has only been out for about for four years and it gets re-released as much as Shovel Knight has.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

Jeez, am i really the only one that liked Tales From the Borderlands?

Tales From the Borderlands is my favorite Telltale game. I have no idea why thought it's from 2013, since I've studied Wiki list carefully. Should be my #2.

• @ffff0 I imagine that would have been enough to at least get it on the list.

Personally, I'm interested in it as I do generally like Telltale games, but there are others I haven't played that I would play before Tales From the Borderlands.

• That one was rocky, but what a winner! I don't think many of us would have bet on Shovel Knight taking GOTY when this started.

Here's the hard stats:

• Shovel Knight is the lowest score for a winner so far (48 pts vs 71 pts for The Witcher 3, previous lowest score). It also won by the smallest margin, 5 pts ahead of second place. With 48 pts, it would have been 3rd in 2015, 5th in 2016 and 7th in 2017.
    • But Shovel Knight is the first indie game to win GOTY (unless you count The Witcher 3 as an indie, I guess).
    • Wolfenstein: The New Order actually earned the most #1 votes (5 vs 4 for Shovel Knight) and the most total votes (17 people).
    • The Top 3 are all Western-developed games, that's unusual for this community!
    • The scores were very close below the Top 4. One vote would have been enough to bump up 12th place Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to 5th place instead (4 pts difference). Hope all those who forgot it feel extra guilty now!
    • The two Danganronpa games ending up in the top 10 are the two big surprises of the list (outside of the winner itself).
    • 4 Wii U exclusives, including 2 in the Top 5. 2014 was the year of the Wii U! It was also the only home console on which the GOTY Shovel Knight was available in 2014.
    • 3 PC exclusives (Hearthstone, The Banner Saga, Divinity: Original Sin).
    • 2 PS4 exclusives, including a demo. Interesting to remember that Sony only started killing it with its exclusives in 2015.
    • 0 Xbox One exclusive.
    • It was actually the year of the third-party games! The stand-outs being Ubisoft with 3 games (South Park: The Stick of Truth, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War) and Bethesda with 2 (Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Evil Within).
    • Notorious games that missed out: Watch Dogs, Titanfall, 6 points.
    • Sunset Overdrive, Wasteland 2, 5 points.
    • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, 4 points.
    • Infamous First Light, Far Cry 4, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, 3 points.
    • Driveclub, Nidhogg, 2 points.
    • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed Rogue, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, 1 point.

I've played 12 out of those 25 games. I'm only interested in one day trying Transistor and The Banner Saga (soon on Switch!).

Next time we do one of those retro GOTYs, I'll add a list of games to my original post to make sure big names don't get forgotten, but I still encourage you to comb Wikipedia for the more obscure ones that you may have loved!

It's been super fun for me as usual, thanks to everyone who participated! Til next time!

• Thanks again for doing this! As with most recent years, I haven't played a whole lot of the list, but it helps to put things in perspective and give me the feeling of 'hey, maybe I should give that a shot!'

• Man! No love for Wasteland 2 other than me!? Shame, it's a fantastic game that more people should play.

Not surprised how low Titanfall came but I think in hindsight now that we have Titanfall 2, it's easy to think of it as a bad game comparatively. Having not played Titanfall 2 yet, I can't make that distinction. Probably one of the more interesting examples in this countdown.

It's also interesting to note that there are quite a few exclusives from each camp in the trenches.

My list was:

1. Wasteland 2
    2. Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
    3. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    4. The Lego Movie: Videogame
      HMs:
      Titanfall
      Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series
      Alien Isolation
      Destiny

• @hazz3r Wasteland 2 for me is another one of the great looking cRPGs that have come out recently (and that don't stop coming) and for which I don't have enough time,but from what I've seen it seems like a really great game.