The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!

• I'm known for being on the fence for Metal Gear Solid, so I didn't play Ground Zeroes. But from an outsider's perspective, Ground Zeroes is curious to me. I've never been sure as to why the game exists outside and not a part of Phantom Pain. From what I've gathered, Ground Zeroes is more concise and complete where Phantom Pain isn't, but because of its length, the demo-like nature (at the time) it felt like several were not happy there was more. But hindsight being what it is, I guess Ground Zeroes was the more polished product for what was there.

• Ground Zeroes is a great game, it has 10 hours worth of content but people like to shit on it. It's not a demo and one of the best games released that year.

• @Axel i was just checking the pm i sent you and the banner saga was a hm for me aswell

• @ff7cloud Shiiiit you're right, you and TokyoSlim actually, so it should have 2 more points. I ended up with two different entries for it in my Excel file :(

I'll see how I can update the rankings, sorry!

• If I did my research properly, I would have voted MGS GZ as my HM. I was completely blown away by the audio design in that game. The premise of creating a 2min very highly detailed sound story that you listen to contextualized within the game through the Walkman tape, then use the audio to discover the path you're supposed to take was very very impressive to me.

I am also a huge fan of the film Sacco e Vanzetti which was a heavy influence on this game. I got the chills when "Here's To You" by Joan Baez and Ennio Morricone started playing.

Unfortunately, this type of creative mission never appeared once in the main game MGS V. I went in expecting some really creative open world style missions and didn't get anything like that. I really liked MGS V but was very disappointed after having played MGS V GZ which was very good.

• @axel thanks for checking. I was wondering why my name wasn't on there, thought I might have bumped it, but didn't check.

• @sazime said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2014!:

Hearthstone has the position a lot of games might find themselves in 4 years later: beloved at the time, not nearly as loved later on.

Yeah, I gotta admit i don't even touch the game now. But it was just such a beast of a game for me when I first started playing it that I had to put it in there.

• @crepe That's why I love the idea behind that list. I think some people will hold true to how they felt "at the time," but others (like me), go through that release list with 4 years of other games to compare them against, and it drags some down a bit.

• Child of Light

#20. Child of Light - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (TheOtherJohnP, logic__error)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (ffff0)
    HM: 2 (Hidz, xias)

Information

Release date: April 29 [US], April 30 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Platformer, Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The Banner Saga

#19. The Banner Saga - 13 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 1 (RARMSTAR)
    HM: 4 (TokyoSlim, FF7Cloud, bard91, thenerdtheword)

Information

Release date: January 14 [US/EU]
    Developer: Stoic Studio
    Publisher: Versus Evil
    Genre: Tactical role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Alright, order restored, The Banner Saga is now in its deserved spot! I double-checked the rest and there shouldn't be any more mistakes.

Also I posted Child of Light, next on the list, don't miss it!

• Child of Light is a hidden gem of 2014. Beautiful world, great story, engaging gameplay and amazing style. If you consider playing it, have no doubts and play it.

• I liked Child of Light a good deal when I finally played it as a PS Plus game last fall(?). Flying felt especially nice, and the fighting system was pleasantly unique. The game didn't make it into my list, but sure, glad to see it in top25.

And yey for Banner Saga for rising a few spots.

• I played Child of Light a bit, but i can't say that i'm really into it. I didn't care about the story from the start, and the game got stale very quickly for me. I quit playing 30 minutes in, so i can't say too much about it. Glad people liked it though, it's cool to see something different pop out from Ubisoft.

• MGSV - Ground Zeroes. It did its job for me and confirmed I was unlikely to enjoy MGSV all that much, I liked the idea of this kind of demo thing though.

Child of Light. I only played a small bit of it. The combat was good, though Grandia does the same system a lot better. The story was where it put me off though. The whole rhyming thing and the child-like vibe to it all made me doubt very much that I was going to be in for any kind of gripping plot and I just had much more interesting Jrpgs in my library to play.

• I own a physical copy of CoL on Vita which I once bought on a sale for like 9,99, never played it, lol.

• I can't remember what I eventually gave my top spot to, but it could well have been Child Of Light.
    I adored the fairy tale feel, I loved the flying around, the combat system was good and interesting. I cared about the cast of characters. I was a little emotional at the ending.

But mostly I love the soundtrack, I listen to it all the time. It's haunting and beautiful.

I'm delighted it made the list.

• I had a lot of fun with Child of Light. I enjoy the variety of characters and even though it limits you to only having two characters on the field at a time, switching between them is fairly easy and adds another layer to encounters. I found the combat engaging, despite its simplicity, and it's one of a handful of games where I really utilized characters with buffs to speed myself up and slow enemies down instead of just plowing through on strength alone. The mechanic of being able to manually hover over enemies with the cursor and impede them, or do the same to your team and heal them, kept me focused. I really like the way the main character evolves through the game and having to make little adjustments to how I played whenever she grew didn't feel irksome or like I was losing something from the change. Flying in that game is just so much fun too and I love the watercolor/storybook visual style. The story isn't anything super amazing, but I think fairy tales are fun, so I was fine with it. Searching out the lost letters and piecing together the extra lore of the world definitely helped me care more about the story overall. Also, there's a good betrayal moment.

• Child of Light is one of those complete blind spots for me. From what I remember, the combat seemed interesting, but the choices made in how the game was created, like the rhyming for example, didn't appeal to me. But I'm quite happy to see a smaller game get onto the list.

Also I just want to publicly commend @Axel for editing the list to the proper order. That must have been a PAIN.

• Global Moderator

I feel like I need to play Child of Light - it keeps popping up on good lists! Im not sure of what have kept me away from playing it already, especially as its also on Vita.