EZA curates May games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?

• A thread for sharing new games coming out in May... what are you personal picks/interests of the month?

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
    Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
    Make a list of your interests and/or possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
    Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
    This is the place!

~

Going into more detail:

The basic idea is to list new games that you are interested in, as well as games you are potentially curious about or want to give wider attention to. You can briefly describe them or ask other people to help fill you in. The hope is that regular threads like these can act as a collective filter/discovery mechanism to help people decide what is worth checking out.

"New games" means any new title that is being released or ported this month in any capacity (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month"). The angle here is sharing your anticipation and promoting game discovery (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress - that belongs elsewhere).

• If you want a handy list of the 'consensus' top upcoming games of the month, here's one video list and one text list. Feel free to post other lists like these that you find useful.
    • Final request: If you are the first person to mention a game please provide (at minimum) a short sentence description. (If it is a very big AAA release though, then don't worry about it.) This is a good convention that makes the thread more useful as a discovery mechanism, and especially helps out anyone who doesn't follow the news as closely as you.

• Hmm... it's gonna be a light month for me I think.
    Dragons Crown Pro ... maybe?

The art style is problematic for some, but the super exaggerated look kind of appeals to me as something different. On top of that, mechanically, it's a good Vanillaware beat-em-up RPG with good environments and story.

• It's a semi-busy month for me games-wise. Asside from continuing to put time into God of War and Skyrim I will be picking up:

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

I've been craving playing a traditional 2d platformer for a while now and missed it the first time around. Actually this is be my first Donkey Kong game since Donky Kong 64 0_0

I'm mainly getting it thanks to this brillaint episode of Game Makers Toolkit that deepdives into the game's level design

Battle Chasers Nightwar

I've been waiting for the Switch version of this game for what seems like forever. I backed the original Kickstarter for this and thankfully the team let me Switch my reward to receiving the Switch version. It is the cool mix of isometric dungeon crawling (think Diablo) with JRPG style turn based combat. Which is combining two of my favourite things together into one colourful package.

Detroit: Become Human

I'm a big fan of narrative driven games and Quantic Dreams latest looks pretty ambitious in terms of the amount of branching in individual scenes and the wider narrative. I'm a bit concerned with some of the handling of the subject matter in the trailers and demos but I'm hoping once they're viewed in the full context of the game as a whole they will be less problematic.

• This month is pretty filled, but even though that's the case, there is NOTHING coming out I want to buy, it's either new games I do not care about or ports and remasters of games I already own and don't want to rebuy.
    Perfect month for some more japanese imports :)

1. Dark Souls Remaster BABY

Big hype for this one. After putting so many hours into the original, even a small upgrade and small changes to one of my favorite games makes me excited.

As someone looking to pick this up on PC though, I definitely have my foot on the brakes with regards to grabbing it quickly. I'm not going trust that it won't be getting a series of major bug patches right out of the gate. I've also been observing a lot of Souls discussion around the net about whether the remaster has a worse art style or not (a subtle difference to some, not so subtle to others), or if this was simply a problem with Bandai Namco using overly bright graphical settings for their footage, and even if not, mayhaps a patch will address complaints about this too? I love Dark Souls, but as a late comer to the original PC release I was lucky all I've ever loved is stabilized Dark Souls, thanks to official and unofficial fixes.

1. Detroit: Become Human

Quantic Dream's next "interactive narrative game" I guess you could say. The story has you swapping through the storylines of 3 androids in a near future society. I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of David Cage's style of games, but Detroit: Become Human is really drawing my attention. The future, android-based setting is keenly interesting to me right out of the gate, and the game appears have great production values and high ambition.

The negative rumblings I've been hearing so far are that the actual writing might be too heavy handed, such as the parallels to human discrimination being portrayed too overtly. And separately, a lot of people have seemed confident from the get go that the game's story ultimately won't be "saying anything new" in this genre of sci-fi. But this pessimism I am observing in others seem to fall very softly on my own ears. I guess I just don't care about those flaws if I still find the sci-fi setting and characters cool? The only minor thing that tempers my anticipation is about the interactivity, as these games don't offer tons of it so what gameplay is present has a bigger responsibility to stick the landing. Fingers crossed.

Smaller games that entered my radar, but I know comparatively less about:

1. Overload: a new six-degree-of-freedom shooter from the creators of Descent. The trailer looks like a really fun game, but having not played Descent since it was new I don't know where to set my expectations.

2. Wizard of Legend: A top down action RPG roguelike. Combat broadly plays out in a fast paced, darting fashion like Hyperlight Drifter from what I can tell. I love me some top down ARPGs, not sure yet about the roguelike part in this one.

3. City of Brass: A first person Arabian Nights themed roguelike, with whip+sword gameplay (one weapon in each hand). Kind of reminds me of Ziggurat for some reason, I'm waiting for someone to tell me this one is good.

The Strange Journey 3DS remake is also coming out this month. I'm not personally interested in getting this since the original is still sitting in my OG DS collection, but I want to give the game a shout out.

• Megadimension Neptunia VIIR - A remake of Megadimension Neptunia VII, now with VR support!
    Detroit: Become Human
    Agony - A first person horror game that I've had my eye on now for quite a while.

That's it really.

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar (May 15th)

I've also been waiting for the Switch version ever since the game released on other platforms last year and it's easily my most anticipated release of the month. I love the art style, the character design, and the gameplay looks right up my alley. Huber praising it on Huber Syndrome a few months ago reinforced my excitement. 2 weeks to go!

• Detroit: Become Human (May 25th)

Keeping an eye on this one. On one hand, I love narrative games, and the setting of this one really appeals to me. On the other, it's a Quantic Dream game, so I'll definitely wait for reviews and other people's impressions. Not a priority for me, if I pick it up it'll probably be on sale a few months down the line, unless somehow it gets insanely great reviews.

• Yoku's Island Express (May 29th)

It's that pinballvania game that Don featured last year on some stream, can't remember which. I love the gameplay concept and the style looks charming. Should be a perfect companion to Battle Chasers on my Switch!

• I saw some gameplay footage for City of Brass on Playstation Access last night and I had to do a double take. It's such a stylistically cool looking game.

Definitely looking to pick it up.

• If I can scrape the cast together there are two games that interest me this month:

Yoku's Island Express - I used to play a load of pinball games in my childhood. (I got really good at Eight Ball Deluxe, and quite good at Angel Egg Pinball). Mixing pinball with story and metroidvania elements sounds like a delightful time.

Dragons Crown Pro - My only hesitation with this one is knowing how high my wife's eyebrows will raise at seeing the sorceress' cleavage. It was bad enough with Seraphina in Disgaea 5!

• I'm gonna be playing some State of Decay 2, I don't think I'll buy it since I bought 1 month of the game pass for like 1 euro.

• @mcgeezaks I'm waiting on reviews for State of Decay 2 and I'll probably just game pass it in the end

• Detroit: Become Human, Street Fighter Collection and Sega Mega Drive Collection are what I'm anticipating.

• There's a side scrolling, bullet hell Touhou game releasing today: Azure Reflections! The gameplay is not quite identical to the official bullet hell Touhou games, as in this game you can use extra powers, like barrier shields and body tackling. There are equipment/accessory mechanics and skill upgrades from what I can gather as well. If you are really hardcore, you may have already played it as Azure Reflections is a localization of the 2012 doujin game Maihana Soumakyou: Uniting Barrage Action.

Hat tip to @musou-tensei
    @musou-tensei said in Weeb Games (Japanese Games Appreciation Thread):

Speaking of digital, Sony's label Unties Games has localized and released a new Touhou fangame called Touhou Shooter Azure Reflections, which is a horizontal shmup, on PSN for $25, currently available for $18 (launch discount on EU PSN only for PS+ members, In the US for all). It looks pretty good but nothing I'd spend more than 10 bucks on, digitally at least.
    At least it's not by NISA.

http://operationrainfall.com/2018/05/15/touhou-shooter-azure-reflections-psn/

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.