Do You Buy Games At Launch?

• Yes, I need them now and in my veins

• Most of the time if I know I'm going to play it, then yes. Because preordering is cheaper.

• I'm in the "no" camp. Life is busy. (●︿●) I don't have enough time to play everything I want, even after being more and more selective about "what I want" means. So my "first playthroughs" are typically backlogged by a year (or more) nowadays.

And something about myself in particular is that I replay games (both new and old) in equal measure or perhaps even more than "first playthroughs". I easily have the money to pay a full 60 or 90 dollars for each "first playthrough" of every current gen game (or even last gen game) and not think twice about that cost because it ends up being such a small number for me each year. I just don't have any reason to actually pay the full cost for these AAAs when I have equally appetizing AAAs from last year or the year before sitting right there... (sorry developers!)

For everyone who is a "no-er" or "mostly no-er" (or even if you aren't idk), here's a fun question:

What was your last game bought at launch?

For me, it is Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS), on Oct 21, 2008.

That's 3,484 days ago at the time of writing, or 9 years, 6 months, 15 days.

Will I hit 10 years, and reach that decade record? Well, I do have a good grasp of how much game time I am going to have left this year and which retro games and backlog games are my priorities. And it is basically a zero percent chance I'm going to have breathing room to buy a launch game this year, even if you let me have my wildest E3 pipedreams come true and they are making a AAA Soul Blazer and Actraiser in the Luminous Engine and Nightdive gets the rights to reboot Turok in the style of the original trilogy or something crazy like that. I'd still probably wait for a discount (and all the bugs to be fixed) while I play all the other cool games I own. (again, I feel sorry devs :/)

The ONE scenario where I see this changing is if Brave Earth Prologue actually releases this year, after being announced in 2011 (I think). 2011 is so long ago that I could haven't predicted that I would fall off buying new releases so hard (i.e. end up being the type of person I am now), and I've always imagined buying Brave Earth on day one. This is partially because the game is right up my alley but mostly because the creator, Kayin, is/was a poster on another forum community I frequent. (So while it is just another solid indie game in the grand scheme of things, the release is going to be a megaton for us over in the forums). Then again, Life is Busy. I'm 7 years older now and I could be up to my ears on something important the month it drops.

• Nah, I'm in no rush. I've got so much older stuff to play, and I can be a bit of a release order purist, like I want to play Persona 3 and 4 before trying 5 for example.

The last time I bought stuff on release was 2013 (Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, GTA V), and it just didn't feel worth it. I didn't enjoy those more than any other games, I didn't feel part of anything by playing them, I didn't even feel like any of those games did anything new or impressive. I sorta swore off it then.

• Sure, pretty often. Hmm, or maybe it's fifty-fifty. I know what I like the most really well beforehand, and I just need those games as soon as possible. Games like God of War, AC Origins, Horizon and Uncharted. RDR2 later this year for sure.

Then there are games I know I'd like as well, but that can wait. There are a bunch of different reasons for the price-drop waiting for these, it's hard to pinpoint. They're often Lego games, for instance, or Watch Dogs 2 that I finally got last week. Tomb Raider fits this as well.

• If i can, yes. Recently i buy games a few weeks late due to just how stacked my backlog is.

• I rarely preorder anymore (except for some collector's editions, like the upcoming Spider-Man!), but I do pick up games at launch, especially those that I'm interested in (I recently got God of War when it launched last month). September is going to be interesting, there are lots of games coming out that I'm interested in (Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, DQXI, Spyro), so I'm not sure how that month will work in regards to picking up games at launch.

• If I really want it then I will buy it at launch.

I never pre-order unless there is a FREE benefit. For example, Yakuza 6 pre-order had a different case and artbook. Dark Souls pre-order came with a free steel case, art book, and guide. In hindsight, the Dark Souls art book is so awesome because a lot of the designs look very gothic and they were clearly morphed into what became Bloodborne because some of those designs didn't make the actual game.

Day 1 recently/upcoming:

• Dark Souls: Remastered
    • Yakuza 6
    • Uncharted 4
    • MGS V
    • Bloodborne

• If a game I'm interested in comes from a publisher I trust (like PQube, Xseed, SEGA or Idea Factory) yeah most likely a day 1 if not a pre-order, if not (like NISA) I'll wait for confirmation from websites I trust that they didn't fuck up the localization.
    The thought that I could have spend 60 bucks on the awful Ys VIII localization alone justifies how I handle these things nowadays.

• It really depends on the game. If it's from a franchise I'm a big fan of then yes. If it's something totally new and gets my attention, sure. Remakes (not remasters) of games I love are day 1 because they're usually not full price. If they're in that $40 - $50 range I'll bite. Otherwise I'll wait a couple of months for a sale. This year the only games I bought and plan to buy day 1 are God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2.

• If it's games from the unholy trinity, then no. Hell, I've boycotted all of their games. The only exception was the Crash Trilogy and now the Spyro Trilogy.

I buy games, I know I am going to play or enjoy. I prefer supporting the niche publisher or developers that don't try to screw the consumer over.

• I often do but also import sometimes because it can be much cheaper (dealing with New Zealand game prices). That can mean waiting over a week to get it but at least it's bought on launch.

• @cocage

Curious... what is the unholy trinity? I feel like a lot of major publishers have exploitive or anti-consumer purchasables.

My guess:

• EA
    • Ubisoft
    • Microsoft or Activision (but neither Ubisoft/MS/Activision have been thaaaaaat bad lately)?

Konami??

• @dipset You guessed correct: EA, Ubisoft, and Activision. Microsoft, I have next to no interests in their stuff; plus, I'll never forgive them for screwing and cancelling Scalebound. Activision has done nothing, but almost COD for the past decade, with some exceptions. That's why I mentioned the Crash and Spyro Trilogy, but they didn't develop either. That's Vicarious Vision's doing. Ubisoft bores the shit out of me with its constant Ubisoft Open World formula. And then they're starting a policy making games as "live services", instead of actual fucking games.

As for Konami, fuck'em. The only thing do now is pachinko and crappy mods of Metal Gear. They have no idea what they're doing anymore. Which pisses me off, because they were one of my favorite second to Capcom, and third to Sega.

• Yes, if the game remotely interests me i'll buy it Day 1

• @cocage

I see. I mean, to be devils advocate - I think Activision Blizzard has a pretty high standard of quality control for their AAA titles (they also put out shovelware). I don't care for them, but Call of Duty is a pretty strong and polished game every year. I don't write them off completely but I haven't bought one of their games since maybe Modern Warfare 2.

I read on Metacritic that in 2016, EA somehow had the highest reviewed games of any publisher which blows my mind because I would say their quality assurance for AAA titles is almost not existent. Sure, they really came down hard on Visceral's Star Wars "Uncharted" for failing more than one quality control checkpoint, but Need For Speed, Battlefront 2, and basically anything else they have released in a while is pretty much mediocre if not entirely bad. Between the bad games and gross special editions, I'm surprised anybody buys these games at launch. They don't even fix them, just make a "better" sequel.

• Global Moderator

I read "Do you ever buy games and lunch?" and was well confused for a bit before I realised it was launch.

I rarely buy games on launch, Im no big fan of the whole preorder bonus etc, call me old fashioned. Unless its a game I really really want and gonna play with some friends I dont see why, especially when you many times can pick it up a little bit cheaper down the line. But I have bought some games at launch... and lunch :)

• @dipset That's the problem, I don't buy their games, because of horrible practices. EA for example, with its recent Need for Speeds entries. the "reboot" and Payback, are bad. Not the worse, but when you're racing games from 2005 or before are better, you have issues. And when NFS: Rivals (except the PC version; horrible porting) is better than the recent two, it's an even bigger issue. Payback had the worst story, no one asked for. If I wanted Fast and Furious, there a dozen of other and better options.

• all the time. in fact it's usually cheaper at launch than if i were to get it a month or 2 later

• @yoshi wat?