In light of the Mini NES, imagine if Sony made a Mini PS One...

• As some people pointed out, a mini SNES would make a lot of sense and would be amazing, but imagine if Sony took the idea and made a Mini PS One!

I tried to put together a list of 30 games, and it was almost impossible to narrow it down, there are so many classics!

• Battle Arena Toshinden
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
    • Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    • Crash Team Racing
    • Wipeout
    • MediEvil
    • Gran Turismo 2
    • G-Police
    • Destruction Derby
    • Chrono Cross
    • Final Fantasy VII
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Vagrant Story
    • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    • Tekken 3
    • Tomb Raider
    • Tomb Raider II
    • Twisted Metal
    • Resident Evil
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    • Silent Hill
    • Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    • Alundra
    • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    • Spyro the Dragon
    • PaRappa the Rapper

Anything I'm missing? I tried to have some diversity, and also make sure to feature the iconic PlayStation IPs, the games that mattered at the time, but of course this is still inevitably subjective.

Could be a fun game to compare lists :)

• They already have Playstation 1 & 2 classics on PS3.

• @Haru17 With the above mentioned games?

• @Stormcrownn I mean, some of them. I'm not sure about them all, but you might want to check.

• I'd rather have them make new games... but if they want to bring back classics, just get them to work on PS4.

• @Haru17 Well, they already have all the NES games on Virtual Console on Wii U and 3DS too, that's not the point.

What makes the Mini NES a good idea is that it provides a cheap alternative to the casual crowd who doesn't have a current-gen console but would still recognise all those famous IPs and want a convenient, plug-and-play way to experience old favourites again.

• @Axel I think it's a bad idea. It's $60 less going into a new game.

The NES games are dated for casuals who aren't long time hardcore gamers. This is a complete nostalgia novelty machine.
    Rare Replay is a good example of what I'm talking about as it didn't sell well.

Sony are more interested in developing new games. They're not even concerned about backwards compatibility like Microsoft is because they just keep churning out new, great games.

• @Whoaness Just to be clear, I'm aware that Sony would probably never actually make a "Mini PS One", if only because unlike Nintendo, they don't own most of these IPs, so licensing all these old games to put them on the same machine again would be a nightmare.

This topic was only meant for fun, to imagine how awesome it could be if it somehow was made. ;)

As for the Mini NES, I think you're really underestimating its potential. A lot of 30-something parents will buy this for their kids, out of nostalgia yes, or to introduce what they grew up with to their own children, etc. Look at Pokemon GO, so many people playing it now probably haven't played a Pokemon game since Red & Blue, and Pokemon is cool and mainstream again. Retro sells, if you market it well.

And the most important thing to realise is that Nintendo have virtually NO line-up for Christmas this year, except Sun & Moon. There won't be a single heavy-hitter on Wii U. They need to make money somehow. Developing new games for a dying console is useless, it's throwing money away. This is why they've shifted all their major development teams towards making games for the NX, making games on the Wii U is a waste of resources at this point.

In comparison, this whole Mini NES thing was probably put together in less than a year, it's a piece of cake, all they need are manufacturing resources. It's a very low-effort project, for a potentially very high profit. It also allows them to put themselves back in the spotlight, rekindle the flame in the public eye just before launching the NX, to make sure they are a big part of the conversation in 2017.

So purely in strategic terms, I think it's a master stroke.

• @Axel Pokemon GO is popular for a different reason. It's easy to play and it's on platforms that everyone has.
    Yes, Nintendo has no games coming out, that's why kids will just buy Call of Duty for PS4.
    And kids these days have no patience to play the kind of games we played in the past. All of those games are very hardcore and really punishing. Elementary school kids would be playing temple run or angry birds, and if they are mature enough, they would go play modern triple A games.

The Mini NES is just a novelty collectible, just like Amiibos. It'll sell, but for different reasons than what you're thinking.

• @Axel I hear you, but doesn't almost everyone who might ever be interested have a Playstation 3 or 4? And why would casual fans want to play retro games and not current gen ones?

• Sure. I grew up on PlayStation. I have just as much, if not even more, Nostalgia for their games as Nintendo.
    Would love a mini psx to have beside my ps4.
    As long as they get a good mix of all their best IP's in it. Both popular and niche. First and third party.
    So everything from Blasto and Parappa to classics as Crash and FFVII.

• This post is deleted!

• @seppo91 Well that's why FF7 is being remade and Crash is being remastered.

If Nintendo remade the best Zelda game ever, Zelda 2, I would rather have that than the mini NES. The battery in my Zelda 2 gold cart died, but I would beat Zelda 2 in one sitting because the combat is so fun.

• @Whoaness Oh I totally agree, put kids these days in front of the first Zelda, they'll switch it off after 2 minutes. I never said they would enjoy it :D But adults will buy it, indeed for their own nostalgia, or to introduce their kids to it (and probably fail).

My reasoning is simply this: Nintendo can't afford to put their teams on Wii U / 3DS games, they have to focus on making NX games. Still, they have to sell "something" this Christmas to make money. In light of this, I think this Mini NES is a very smart move and will be successful. And for many adults and young adults who have ignored them since the Wii, it's a nice way to remind them they exist and then hit them with the NX a few months later.

But you're absolutely right about kids. Smartphones are totally taking over and capturing these new generations is going to be more and more of a challenge for Nintendo, sadly :(

• @Haru17 I think there's a lot of people who may have had a PS1 as kids/teenagers, but who now have grown out of videogames and just don't have the time/money to spend on a PS4. But show them a Mini NES/SNES/PS1 for 60 bucks with all the games they loved 15 years ago, hassle-free, they would probably pick it up as an impulse buy or a Christmas gift. And they probably wouldn't play through all 30 games on it, but they wouldn't care. At least I assume that's what Nintendo has in mind with this. Maybe I'm way off!

But anyway, this conversation belongs in the Mini NES topic :D

I just wanted to make a fun list of PS One classics :'(

• I think Sony would make a killing. Great idea.

• Perhaps they should do it in their 25 year anniversary. If they hop in now, it would just seem following in Nintendo's footsteps, which they do to some degree at times, but I think that would be too obvious.

• I agree, if somehow Sony could put out a similar product I think a lot of people would be interested, as long as the games were appealing. Like mentioned before Nintendo owns most of the games on their mini nes. If Sony did something like this and was able to get FF VII and MGS I think a ton of people would be interested. As for the reality, I think the mini nes is a cool little product. I do feel like there is a market for this, a lot of people who grew up with the nes are now in the 30's or so. Those who have stopped gaming could see this cool little replica nes and classic controller and buy it off pure nostalgia. My opinion, Nintendo is hot again right now, the new zelda has gotten the hardcores hyped and pokemon go is bringing so many casual gamers or even normally non gamers back into the nintendo fold. This product makes a lot of sense and I think it'll do very well. Personally I'm on the fence, but I think when its all said and done, ill have a mini nes laying around some where.

• I saw this cheesy SEGA Genesis at a "hip" clothing store loaded with games. Thing about putting out a PS1 is that Sony isn't really in the nostalgia territory of their lifespan yet. Many people still play and appreciate their PS1 games. NES can easily be picked up, played, and put down. I feel like people just wouldn't be wanting to sink their teeth into FF7.

Plus, tons of games are available on the PS3 and PS4. Idk maybe I'm wrong but I think it would only sell with titles like: Crash, Spyro, Twisted Metal, and maybe a sidescroller like Castlevania. Not any deep cuts.

I expect Nintendo to sell this in gimmicky places like I saw the Geness at Urban Outfitters.

• @GoTaco
    I've seen those gensis's as well at outfitters. Also I think it was last year but didnt Neo Geo basically do the same thing? Except they also included a handheld system as well. I was a little tempted to snag on of those, still haven't tho.