RAGE 2 (PC/PS4/XBO)

• @mcgeezaks said in RAGE 2 announced trailer - Joint develop by avalanche studio and id software:

@black-cell I knew you really loved open world games all along.

problem is not open world. problem is how developers make. as most open world games are boring.

this is not like far cry where boring traveling and cutscene with boring gameplay take place.

this is id software game combine with avalanche open world structure. with Doom like shooting, Car combat, exploration, etc. what else not to like?

• @brannox Don't you think upper level management, guidance, proper setting of milestones, etc, has something to do with that?

Take Ubisoft as an example. They have a whole suite of subsidiaries working on their titles, and while the polish is there, their internal teams push things to the point of recreating the same 2-3 games.

EA has a whole slew of teams as well, but the ones that come to my mind, most of the time, were made by teams since dissolved, or are a sports title.

2k is kind of like EA in that they have some solid series, but recently lost teams due to downsizing after poor performing titles.

I think a lot rests on Bethesda to balance and manage their resources effectively, and support each of their teams' creative visions. I think we have seen, again and again over the last 6 years, they've been doing that. I can't imagine Rage 2 not being just as well managed and built on a solid, supportive process.

Whether or not it's your cup of tea, well, that's something else entirely. :)

• @sazime Publishers are primarily (but not completely) responsible for marketing and getting games into retailers, not directly involved in the actual day to day development of any game. Sure, there are instances when publishers get hands on, but the more they do, the worse it is (Hi there EA).

For your Ubisoft example, sure but as you have pointed out, they are direct subsidiaries. So the studios having to push out, say, an Assassin's Creed every other year, are being given that project. MachineGames, Arkane, id, Tango Gameworks all are there own studios under the Bethesda umbrella. MachineGames, for example, had to pitch their vision of Wolfenstein. Bethesda didn't just hand Wolfenstein off to them out of nowhere and said, "Get on it."

EA does have their teams, but once again as you pointed out, a lot of the properties that are directly under EA's ownership have dissolved. Mass Effect for example: The IP is owned by EA and because of the botched Andromeda, they directly closed the arm of BioWare that developed the game. Who knows when or even if Mass Effect ever comes back.

2K, I'm least knowledgable about, but they publish for Rockstar, and Rockstar can do whatever they want with the amount of money they bring in. 2K doesn't have to do a thing but make the game available to buy.

I'm not saying Rage 2 will be great, good, bad, or awful, nor am I calling into question in how it's being managed. I'm just pointing out Rage 2 feels like Avalanche reached out to id (Since it's id's IP) with an idea both really liked, and both went to pitch it to Bethesda, who in turn greenlit the funding. Bethesda appears to have absolutely no hand in how Rage 2 is made, which is how I had two separate interpretations from your post.

• Banned

@black-cell

Hey, you said it in a thread you started, not me.

@black-cell said in Open world, Linear or Semi sandbox? which type of games you prefer?:

Open world games? i just cant play more before i get bored. i couldnot play GTA, assassins creed or far cry without getting bored. these games are so boring and feel tedious at times.

• @brannox Hmmm, probably worded things poorly, but the short: I believe the success so many disparate properties has got to have something (not everything) to do with Bethesda being in the mix. I think they have an uncanny ability to let those developers do "their thing" without washing out their individual creative nuances.

Maybe Ubi and EA are just too big (in terms of total studios, they're stupid huge) to fairly compare them to Bethesda.

• @sazime And I concur in that aspect because Bethesda puts out (mostly) single player experiences. EA is all about the always online multiplayer microtransaction experience whereas Ubisoft's bread and butter is the forever long checklist open world trope.

And I believe comparisons are warranted as they are all publishers. Even though they have different philosophies in how they want to chase trends and reach their bottom line.

And a side note: Thanks for the discussion! I've enjoyed this.

• @black-cell You sure have taken a lot from the 15 seconds of fast cut gameplay in that trailer.

• @el-shmiablo
    dued remember who your talking about and what he suffers from
    Youtube Video

but in all seriousness it's like 10 seconds of quick cut footage, hardly enough to make any real judgment on.

• Even though I'm still not sold at all by the juvenile tone of their marketing, I gotta admit the game looks good in that trailer. Enemy density and variety looks impressive, and the mix of shooting and driving is promising. Not a game for me, but should make fans of the genre happy!

• You say juvenile, I say high-energy. Tomato/tomato. Not saying you are wrong, I just get a much different impression than some here I suppose.

• I heard that this is a spring 2019 game so does that mean we are gitting a DOOM 2 or elder scrolls this year??

• @frasafrase said in RAGE 2 announced trailer - Joint develop by avalanche studio and id software:

You say juvenile, I say high-energy. Tomato/tomato. Not saying you are wrong, I just get a much different impression than some here I suppose.

100% agreed.

• @black-cell

But you have seen about 20 seconds in a fast cutting trailer...

Also, Mad Max (by Avalanche) is pretty by-the-numbers open world game. I love Just Cause 2 which I think was relatively different than other open world games at the time, but judging by their last 2 games (JC3/Mad Max), they aren't deviating from a standard open world formula. Not sure why you jump to conclusions about Rage 2 being any better or different.

• @dipset said in RAGE 2 announced trailer - Joint develop by avalanche studio and id software:

@black-cell

But you have seen about 20 seconds in a fast cutting trailer...

Also, Mad Max (by Avalanche) is pretty by-the-numbers open world game. I love Just Cause 2 which I think was relatively different than other open world games at the time, but judging by their last 2 games (JC3/Mad Max), they aren't deviating from a standard open world formula. Not sure why you jump to conclusions about Rage 2 being any better or different.

Because

alt text

They dont make bad games.

• @black-cell They made the original Rage, and that was, IMO, not very good.
    I know you love Doom, but lightning doesn't always strike twice.

• @el-shmiablo said in RAGE 2 announced trailer - Joint develop by avalanche studio and id software:

@black-cell They made the original Rage, and that was, IMO, not very good.
    I know you love Doom, but lightning doesn't always strike twice.

Different id software and different era.

• Rage 2 looks more interesting than Rage 1 by comparison, but I'll wait. I loved the music they used in the trailer. The game looks to be a better Mad Max game, than the official Mad Max game.

• This trailer had a bit of an agenda in that it was trying very hard to frame itself with the music, fast cuts, chaos and whatnot....
    That aside, the idea of an open world game in the rage universe made by Id and Avalanche has promise. There is a lot you could do with this. Many of the open world games of today work and play more or less the same way, and the rage world feels like ripe footing for innovation, should that be the goal of the developer.

• Youtube Video

This is also one of the best game of E3 and deserve more attention.

• Extended Gameplay from QuakeCon. Looks super good!

Youtube Video