Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?

• My first exposure to the series was back in 1999 on a friend's PC. The 2nd game just came out, and he got it about a month later. I played a bit here and there, but he went through most of it. After all the spiritual successors and inspirations that came out in the past decade and now, I find it harder and harder to see a SS3 in the future. Look at it: the Bioshock series, Dead Space 1 & 2, Singularity, Prey (2017), Evil Within 2 (arguably), and now Atomic Heart.

Now, if SS3 does happen; more power to people who developed the game and the fans who get to enjoy it. My concern is what can it offer new to the table that hasn't already been done. Not much for me, other than story closure (a lesson of why you should never end on a cliffhanger). It would not stand out much from the crowd other than being a near 20 year old property. The scare factor could definitely be a high point/theme for the game, but that's it. Every game that has come out in its wake has been described as System Shock, but in "the sky", "underwater", "on an island", or in space, but not in first person. And if it does happen and becomes a seller, where do you go from there?

• Videogames are so weird in this way. The last Michael Keaton/Time Burton Batman flick came out in 1992. The first System Shock came out in 1994 and the 2nd in 1999. Now, almost 20 years later for SS and just a little while longer for that Batman production, why should we expect a 3rd?

You're right bringing up other games that cover similar ground, but without the IP's name attached to it. We get great things in the "same vein of" category all the time in gaming, and it works. Of course, it's a good sign that the genre System Shock falls into is popular enough to be successful, so what's to be done?

Reboot. Just a nice, solid, "this is a new game for a new era" reboot. Just like we get a new creators' takes on Batman, Superman, Star Trek, etc, we should get a new take on System Shock. Sure, change it up. Make it feel new, and tells us a new story (or a thematically similar one in a different way), but give me SHODAN, give me space monkeys and give me a giant space adventure that makes me feel creeped out and afraid enough that exploring becomes a tense effort in staying alive.

Here's hoping those Kickstarter guys are getting it done right.

• @sazime Yeah, I heard the ones doing the kick starting are having production trouble. Hopefully, they can get it sorted out.

• @sazime Here's some good news.

Youtube Video

• Ok so"production trouble" on a game helmed by Warren Spector is standard operating procedure, and he almost always finds a way through. System Shock 3 will still happen.

That video looks like a discussion of the System Shock Remake though, that's a seperate (but related) project.

• If it retains the depth and quality the series is known for, then definitely. Both games already stand out from the crowd despite all the recent attempts to emulate and succeed on what it gave us.

System Shock 3 has one of those opportunities to be one of the best games ever made. Every game has that mind you, but when you've already got such a fantastic building block to work on, it should be perfectly achievable.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Thief 3 & the reboot etc. There's so many bad examples to learn from, hopefully they'll identify the modern trends that have hurt a lot of follow ups in the past and then simply learn from them.

• Yes there is. especially warren spector is making it so it will retain the elements of system shock 2 which is one of the best game ever made.

@sheria said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Thief 3 & the reboot etc. There's so many bad examples to learn from, hopefully they'll identify the modern trends that have hurt a lot of follow ups in the past and then simply learn from them.

come on my friend. Deus Ex HR was excellent game and now become a classic after almost 10 years. unlike thief reboot and Deus Ex MD.

It was complete game unlike Mankind divided which cut into half and just got ended and feel like HR DLC in better graphics.

• @black-cell said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

Yes there is. especially warren spector is making it so it will retain the elements of system shock 2 which is one of the best game ever made.

come on my friend. Deus Ex HR was excellent game and now become a classic after almost 10 years. unlike thief reboot and Deus Ex MD.

It was complete game unlike Mankind divided which cut into half and just got ended and feel like HR DLC in better graphics.

It's still a step down, which logically shouldn't happen with 10 years of knowledge and technical advancement on your side.

HR a classic though? It's what, 7 years old now? Nothing of the sort.

• @sheria said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

@black-cell said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

Yes there is. especially warren spector is making it so it will retain the elements of system shock 2 which is one of the best game ever made.

It's still a step down, which logically shouldn't happen with 10 years of knowledge and technical advancement on your side.

HR a classic though? It's what, 7 years old now? Nothing of the sort.

it is very old game. last gen game. but yes its classic. its step down because it made by entirely different team. plus it was released in a era when most games were dumbed down. now look at mankind divided. not even 1 4th of game HR was. wasted potential.

only DOOM is better than HR when it comes to this gen games.

• Human Revolution is a decent game, but I did not care much for it.

• @black-cell said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

I don't think Warren Spector worked on System Shock 2.

• nope
    this era of video games would make a horrible SS3
    imagine it
    -3rd person over the shoulder
    -cutscenes everywhere
    -exposition everywhere
    -you probably have a sidekick thats younger then you
    -"puzzles" that involve boosting your sidekick up so he/she can kick down a ladder
    -gameplay casualized so anyone can play it and not get frustrated, so more mechanics thrown out the window

• @siegeh I highly doubt they would take it that far. I guess you're not a fan of Last of Us or the new God of War. I am not a fan the former, though I enjoyed the latter despite a few flaws.

• @siegeh said in Do You Still Think There Needs To Be a System Shock 3?:

nope
    this era of video games would make a horrible SS3
    imagine it
    -3rd person over the shoulder
    -cutscenes everywhere
    -exposition everywhere
    -you probably have a sidekick thats younger then you
    -"puzzles" that involve boosting your sidekick up so he/she can kick down a ladder
    -gameplay casualized so anyone can play it and not get frustrated, so more mechanics thrown out the window

did we gone back to 2009? that is so 2009..

today SS3 would be more closer to SS2 if anything.

• @siegeh Show us on the doll where The Last of Us touched you.