Unfinished games thread

• Hey Allies, as you know we all have the same problem of starting games & not finishing them. This can be for a number of reasons. The games not clicking with you, it is to long or your just not in the mood at the time, or for apparent reason. What was the reason you bailed & will you come back to it. I'll include a few recent examples as I'd be here all day if I was to go over all of them.

Yakuza 0- I was loving this but I spent about 20 hours doing side quests on chapter 2 & it totally derailed the story for me. I'll definitely give it another go but I'll focus on the main story more.

Horizon Zero Dawn- Played about 30 hours & enjoyed it but just stopped playing one day & didn't have the motivation to go back to it. Not sure why maybe the story didn't get its hooks into me. Again I'll pick it up again & finish it as I loved the combat.

• No matter what I play, even if I come to despise it, I at least try to finish it. The only three exceptions are three Final Fantasies: 6, 8, and 13. For 8 and 13, I couldn't finish because of the fights I was at (though in 8's case, I was AT the final fights, so in essence I've played the whole game, but haven't played through the ending. Thanks YouTube!) As for 6, that was primarily just no longer having fun and did not feel like going through the slog.

• @brannox I bailed on FF13 as well because life's just too short. Looks nice though.

• Darkest Dungeon - Finally raised a team and got them geared enough to do my first expedition into the Darkest Dungeon, and they just got completely wrecked by random enemies on the way to a bossfight they didn't even reach, so that kinda demoralized me to spend way more time investing into another party for a second attempt.

• @mbun I was to cowardly to even try it for exactly that reason. I'd end up huffing if that happened to me.

• @futurecorpse I wasn't upset as much as just lost as where to go from there, besides looking up meta strats, which would ruin the fun of the game for me.

• phantom pain
    Fallout 4
    tales of zesteria
    Nioh
    have been some recent ones

• @ff7cloud I've put 30 hours into Zesteria. I think it's okay but its pretty average. I really liked Beseria but the characters aren't interesting enough in Zesteria to keep me hooked. I will get around to finishing it one day.

• Here's a few of mine from recent memory:

• Bound Shattered Kingdom. Not my cup of tea.
    • Grow Up. Didn't feel the need to play more, already had more than enough fun.
    • Furi. Kinda got over it, had tons of fun though.
    • Yakuza 0. I want to finish the side quests too so it's taking a long time for me to progress. I'll finish it one day though.
    • Nioh. The level-based missions kinda turned me off.

• I've abandoned two games this year, one I think is fantastic and the other one I think is terrible.

Witcher 3 is absolutely amazing and it does make me wonder how the hell they managed to put so much quality into everything in that game, I want to put more time into it but it is just kinda in a lower priority and the fact that I'm playing it on PC, which is not my ideal case doesn't help.

The other is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I think the game is terrible in most aspects and I was only really playing it because of a bet I made with a friend (which I clearly lost), I never had much fun with it and after a point I just had enough of it.

• @futurecorpse i have a long run of tales games just being meh to me with Berseria and Xillia being my 2 favorites of the franchise

• For me it's Majora's Mask on 3DS.

First time playing it, I was looking forward to it due to all the praise it always gets. But I never really got into it, the world is very unappealing to me, I don't like all the ugly transformations, the whole time mechanic just stresses me, I can't enjoy myself knowing I'm always on the clock, and whenever I get stuck in a dungeon I start panicking because I'm afraid I'll have to start it all over again.

Despite all this I made it to the last dungeon (Stone Temple, I think?), but I dropped it a year ago and every time I think about picking it back up, just knowing I'll struggle to get my bearings again and probably mess up my first attempt at the dungeon is enough to discourage me.

• This is one of my biggest problems. I play some games for a few hours, then leave them untouched for several hours. It's not because I didn't like them, more because I got tempted to play something else.

A few examples from recent memory

• Dragon's Dogma - Bought it at Black Friday last year, played it for a while and Monster Hunter: World came out, just horrible timing.
    • Metro Redux - I've read the books and I love the universe, I played 2033 for a few hours, but I choosed to play different titles that got released during my playthrough.
    • The Last Guardian - Mixed bag, I enjoyed the story, but I got frustrated with the AI and the gameplay mechanics.

• At the moment I've got:

Dragon Quest Heroes - It's enjoyable in short bursts but playing for extended periods would probably kill me. So I've been dipping in and out.
    FF XII ZA - I think I'm in the final dungeon but that game is an investment so I've been putting it off like a coward.

• Relate to this so much!

Recent examples of my unfinished business:

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - first 10 or so hours were awesome (my first experience of Deus Ex) but was really not up for the story and bailed once I bought a Switch and BotW [will not return to, but want to try the original 'Deus Ex']
    • Crash Bandicoot: N' Sane Trilogy - honestly, I'm just not good enough at the game to finish the harder levels, and would rather put the time to get good at it into something else [will continue to chip away at over time, maybe I'll get lucky!]
    • Final Fantasy VII - in a weird spot because I've never played it before, but also kinda want the remake to be my first proper full experience of it. Gotten out of Midgar but that's it [will return to and finish before I play remake - too good and significant to leave on the shelf!]

• There’s a lot....

My favorite unfinished games are:

-Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    -Ni No Kuni 2
    -Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2)

I’m sure there’s a million others. I’m really bad about completing games. I’d say that more that half of my all time favorite games I’ve left unfinished. Sometimes purposely and sometimes not. I feel sad when I complete a game because there’s nothing left to see and I like being able to save the final level of a game for a rainy day. I also just generally dislike game endings, plot wise so I see no point in playing through them.

• Deus EX: Mankind Divided
    Metal Gear Solid V
    Bloodborne
    Mad Max

All 4 were recent PS+ games that I had been interested in but not sure of. All 4 were fun for a little while but I didn't enjoy them enough to stick with them for one reason or another. I can't remember where I got on Deus Ex. MGS I got as far as not being in Pakistan anymore, but in a jungle. Bloodborne I got to the second boss. Mad Max I met someone called Pink Eye.

I think the fact that I put £0 down on these games makes it easier to leave them unfinished.

• Devil Survivor Overclocked - this was fairly recent. I got to the second-last day (I think) and just have had no drive to go back.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - I played this immediately after Innocent Sin and just got burned out about 3/4 through. Plus I wasn't able to transfer my save so the characters were not my versions of those characters. Still a super cool game.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS) - I have started this game like 3 times and never finished. It is a bit of a grind at times so I think I just get disheartened by sluggish progress. Too bad, it's an incredibly cool game.

Suikoden 2 - Like above, I played this immediately after Suikoden 1 and just got burned out. It was cool but I have to say I don't remember too much so I'm not upset about it.

Bloodborne - I think the last boss I beat was Rom. I got to the king on the roof of the castle and just got sick of having to trial and error every boss fight. Super cool game but not being able to pause or even blink makes it a huge drain - despite it being insanely fun. It's a great game but I feel like I got everything I could from it.

Chrono Cross - Too many characters and I cannot play a game and not get everything. Something had to give.

Grandia - I have no idea why I stopped playing this game. It was awesome.

• I dont finish 90% of the games i play. Ive had to start admitting to myself that i need to abandon certain games. I think im just older and have less time but still buy every game that comes out. The fact that games are obssesses with taking as much of your time as possible

• @e_zed_eh_intern You probably stopped playing Grandia because you thought you were close to beating it but then realized you were only 1\3rd through the game.