Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)

• Hi Allies! Thought it might be worth having a separate thread for discussing the Pokémon 2018 Video Game Press Conference.

EDIT: Changed the thread title to focus on the two 'Let's Go' games coming out on 16th November 2018.

We saw the announcement of three new games (including a shadow drop!):

• Pokémon Quest (for Switch - available now - and mobile soon)
    • Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee! (for Switch - remakes of Yellow version with some level of Pokémon Go integration and local co-op)
    • A 2019 'core RPG' Pokémon game (for Switch - in the like of X/Y and Sun/Moon)

What are your thoughts on each of these games and how they were announced?
    Is there one you're looking forward to the most (or the least)?
    Are you more or less hyped for the future of Pokémon than before?
    Pikachu or Eevee?!?!

Love + Respect, and gotta catch 'em all! :)

Ps: shoutouts to the amazing EZA Pokémon Book Club - love journeying with you all!

• Pokémon Quest Trailer

Youtube Video

• Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee! Trailer

Youtube Video

• How anyone could be excited about those games after that trailer is completely beyond me, I was already expecting not a good game given the team, but that looks really bad

• Pokémon Quest: Already uninstalled, because letting you play 6 times every 3 hours is simply too slow for a game with grind. Before even considering the incentives for players who spend money are crazy beneficial, and I don't want to spend money on this. Lots of RNG with the Pokemon themselves too, which alone is fine, but when you start counting the Pokemon you want, with the slots you want, with the bingo buffs you want, with the right buffs to move slot ratio you want, you can easily tell how stacked against getting exactly what you want the game is.

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee!: Let's Not! I have zero interest in Pokemon GO. I'd have played it ages ago if I did. The game basically costs $110 if you want to play it as intended with the cool 3-hour battery life Pokeball accessory, which is straight up the successor to the Pokemon GO wristwatch thing they've said. I hear so many horror stories about Pokemon GO, both from the media and friends who play it often like people getting stabbed while playing, being chased off private property that had a Pokemon on it, or walking into traffic. From my understanding, the majority of players cheat the game with something called location spoofing just to make a functional game out of it, and both the leveling and battling / gym loop of the game both sound bloody pisspoor. Oh, and my friends who play it have been complaining they never have enough Pokeballs! I really think people are underestimating how much Let's GO is tied to Pokemon GO. They're designed to get the playerbases of each playing both the games.

Then there's no online coop, maybe not even online trading or battling it sounds like. Kanto is like my 5th favorite Pokemon region ...of 7 total main game regions... Likewise, I like lots of Pokemon from games beyond Gen 1, so only having the Gen 1 Pokemon available sucks. Sounds like it won't stray far from pretty much being a modern Yellow remake. Can't evolve your starter. Could catch a different wild Pokemon of that species, but then you lose what made them special. Basically, the game is kind of everything I feared it might be from the rumors, and for that reason I'm hard out. Sounds like a great entry point into the franchise for kids and stuff, but I personally want more depth, not less, especially after Sun / Moon already dumbed the games down so significantly.

Second Half of 2019 'core RPG' Pokémon game: We still know officially nothing about this. Save us E3. My expectations are quite low after Sun / Moon and Ultra rehashes, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, and there's potential for it. Extra development time with the extra wait as they confirmed this is the game they were teasing last E3, probably won't be a remake of any game since it is so close to Let's GO remaking Yellow, which means highly likely it'll be a new Generation full of new Pokemon which is an automatic small win, we know it exists to appease long time fans, and Let's GO gives GameFreak a trial run to sort out development struggles with adapting to the Switch and HD in general. All that said, I'm not getting hyped or anything until we get solid details and maybe not even then, because Pokemon Sun / Moon stained the mainline series for me with all the awful design decisions that took away so much of what I've always loved about mainline Pokemon.

Sidenotes: I'm kind of internally okay with Pokemon mainline just being ruined forever as long as we continue to get excellent Mystery Dungeon spinoffs, because I genuinely enjoy the majority of their elements over the mainline games at this point. Story is always at least fifty times better. Characters being Pokemon themselves feels more true to the name of the franchise, and you get so many fun Team dynamics. Lovely towns within a game still primarily about exploration, which the main series seems to be completely moving away from. Music is on par with the better mainline games. Treasure hunting! Pokemon balance hilariously feels more balanced than mainline as unevolved Pokemon are just as viable. Locations aren't as cool as mainline games, but there's cooler stuff than you'd expect from dungeon crawling. Has actual boss fights! Seriously, if anyone else in here is bummed after reading this last string of Pokemon announcements, do yourself a favor and go pick up Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (available on Wii U eShop Virtual Console if you don't wanna track down a physical copy) or Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon for 3DS. Super underrated spinoffs!

Speaking of spinoffs, supposedly Quest is the first Pokemon spinoff developed directly by GameFreak themselves, which I'm speculating is in reaction to seeing how successful Pokemon GO got, and them being internally upset that they only own part of it and only receive part of the profits instead of it all. Of course I think we all know Quest has zero chance blowing up like GO did, but I imagine "why don't we completely own a mobile game that makes lods of emone" was part of a board meeting and led to this. "Just shut down that Minecraft Mod, and we can do that style people like ourselves." So the devs were probably semiforced into making a game they didn't even want to, and here we are. Although GameFreak has shown in the past they're cool with their employees having side projects as we've seen many of those that are completely unrelated to Pokemon release. I'd love a sequel to HarmoKnight myself. Anyways, my point is I don't think you have to worry too much about them taking spinoffs from other developers and doing them all in house going forward, although we might see more mobile games developed directly by GameFreak.

• I don't think I could possibly be less interested in the prospect of playing two glorified mobile ports.

• 0_1527699478406_1527651533858.png
    Into the trash it goes.

• "No actual battles with wild Pokemon"...this is the part I never quite understood with Go. Were those left out because of a design choice, or because they couldn't pull it off inside a mobile app? Them still being gone makes me think it must have been a design choice to streamline the process? I don't really get it. Doesn't help that battles in the wild is the one aspect I like most...

• do u still battle other trainers and gyms though and lvl up throught that?

• So here's a few things I want to say about Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

First, I think it actually makes a lot of sense for this to be a Gen 1 remake (although, looking at it, it seems more like a reboot/reimagining which would be so much better imo). This is because 1) it's been 14 years since they released Fire Red and Leaf Green; 2) for nostalgia it makes a good symbolic starting point for a "fresh start" on the Switch; and 3) it was the next game in the cycle to be remade.

Second, as for the game itself, there are a LOT of great things announced from this trailer. Having a co-op Pokemon game and removing random battles and replacing them with optional battles in the overworld is like a dream come true. I'm hyped for having Pokemon follow you around again (as well as your partner Pokemon climb on-top of you) Connecting this game with Pokemon Go is really cool for those of us (myself included) who have played this game extensively and were disappointed with it being not much more than a huge collect-a-thon. Making a pokeball-joycon was an ingenious move because A) its a functioning joycon, B) it's a high-tech poke-walker, C) its a Pokemon Go Plus device, and D) its essentially a FULLY FUNCTIONAL POKEBALL!!!!

Now I'm going to state something that's a little controversial... I'm actually pretty okay with the fact that this game changes how you capture Pokemon. Now hear me out for a second, how did you capture Pokemon before? You beat the shit out them to wear them down and then tried to catch them. This mini-game of trying to catch them from the start depending on how you throw the ball is actually much more immersive (this'd be how this would work in 'real life' if you were in the Pokemon World), and it's actually more fun way of catching Pokemon. Not to mention, it'll force them to change how you train which means you don't have to grind anymore (or have to wade through countless Zubats in caves (see my previous comment about Pokemon in the overworld))! Additionally, they haven't changed the way you still battle, so the primary game mechanics are still around.

Next, I just want to remind everyone that this is just a half-spin off and the next main game is confirmed for 2019 (and has been in development, so if you dislike what they're doing for these games, you don't have to worry they'll change the formula all that much). For those of you who are interested in this game, but aren't 100% sold on it yet; remember that they haven't shown off everything, only the key features that make this title stand apart, so hopefully we get some more details at E3.

• @ff7cloud Yes, the trailer shows the typical turn-based battle system with another trainer. Since this is a 'remake' of Yellow, I'd assume that there are still gym matches for badges as usual.

• @robbobwill Some people online are saying that Game Freak is likely bifurcating the franchise into 2 series: one for casual fans and one for hardcore fans. To answer your question, it seems like this was a purposeful choice to connect it to Go more, but also to make this particular set of games to be "as accessible" as possible for everyone. At least regular combat will exist with trainers, so it's not all bad. Besides, they'll probably revert back on how to catch them the old way, or at least return it as an alternate method for the 2019 game coming out.

• @darkenraul1 I'm with you on that one. If you think about it, there was nothing fun about battling wild Pokemon, it was a pure grind. They never represented an actual threat, the only challenge came from having to lower their HP enough to weaken them without actually killing them. I understand it's always been an integral part of the game, but let's be honest, it's definitely not one of the best parts.

Now we don't have all the details about how capturing works, but I'm sure they could make it interesting in its own right. Maybe you need lures, maybe you need to time your throw correctly, maybe different Pokemon require a ball thrown at a different angle, maybe there's a Punch-Out-like back-and-forth between you and the Pokemon. All of which are easily as involving as lowering their HP.

Again, if this was the next "proper" game in the series, I would be worried too. I also want more depth from my Pokemon games, not less. But this, as a casual spinoff/remake, doesn't offend me, it allows them to explore new gameplay styles.

There's a lot to love: having any Pokemon follow you (or riding it) in the overworld looks cool, seeing the wild Pokemon walk around in the grass instead of being random encounters is a much-needed modernization. If the combat ends up being dumbed down and simplified, I'll be out, but until we know more I'm keeping an open mind.

Yes, the game is clearly made to attract the Pokemon Go audience and lure them towards the Switch, they'd be stupid not to. Then, once these guys are onboard, they'll unleash the next core game and sell the 20 million copies it's aiming for. It's a very transparent strategy.

• @axel I couldn't have said it better myself. One more thing I'd point out is that (from the trailer at least) traditional combat seems the same as before with familiar moves and type advantages.

I also agree that this game is meant for much more casual players (especially Pokémon Go fans) to introduce them into the "core" series. I actually agree with what a lot of people are thinking which is that they'll keep the franchise split up like this, where we'll have the Let's Go games for casual fans (which will essentially be remakes of past Gen games, so the next one should be Johto) and the main series games for the hardcore fans (so these ones will me a LOT more complex like the last few titles but also remove all the unnecessary handholding and tutorials).

• @darkenraul1 said:

nostalgia it makes a good symbolic starting point for a "fresh start" on the Switch

How can the start be considered "fresh", when it is closely mimicking a game that came out in 1998?

it was the next game in the cycle to be remade

no no NO!

Gen 4 Sinnoh was next in the cycle to be remade. Gens 1-3 have already received remakes in the forms of Fire Red / Leaf Green, Heart Gold / Soul Silver, and Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire. The cycle isn't continuously remaking only Gens 1-3 and ignoring everything beyond it. The only reason this is Kanto is because a majority of the GO players are people who haven't played core Pokemon since Gen 1, many of which crap on anything that came after it without ever giving it a shot, simply because it's "not their Pokemon" that they grew up with.

Having a co-op Pokemon game

Local co-op only. Ignore the fact that Nintendo is trying to sell people on an online service soon. Nope, you better GO out there and make friends with local strangers if you don't have family or friends to play with already. Once again Japan not understanding that what works for their culture doesn't automatically fly in the rest of the world.

removing random battles and replacing them with optional battles in the overworld is like a dream come true.

Two things lots of casual players aren't considering when they rave about this.

1. Since Gen 3 Pokemon Abilities have existed in the games that let a smart player tailor random encounters to their liking or disable them entirely, no repel needed. Some games have also had features like shaking bushes and other various things you could use to more easily find the Pokemon you are after in the wild.

2. There's going to be nothing exciting about going out to find Pokemon now. Instead of getting the battle intro leading to a mystery encounter, you just immediately see the Pokemon, meaning you'll walk into an area and more likely than not immediately know every Pokemon you can get there. While it cuts down time, it also cuts down any mystery that would've existed before. That said, this is a Gen 1 Yellow Remake essentially with confirmed only Pokemon from Gen 1, so I imagine in this case most people would be somewhat familiar with what is on each route already. It could be awful if this became a series staple going forward in areas we're less familiar with though. Also, I know some people enjoy hunting shiny Pokemon, and this is definitely going to make that process so much more tedious as you'll have to find the nearest load zones to reload the areas repeatedly to change up the spawns on the overworld. They'll probably improve on this if they go forward with the concept, but this first attempt is going to leave lots to be desired. Don't expect Pokemon Snap level of environmental immersion.

how did you capture Pokemon before? You beat the shit out them to wear them down and then tried to catch them. This mini-game of trying to catch them from the start depending on how you throw the ball is actually much more immersive

How is just chucking unlimited Pokeballs at stuff immediately until you get lucky more immersive than carefully whittling Pokemon down until they're weak enough to be captured by a ball you've invested money into purchasing and holding for just the right occasion? Sure, False Swipe and such trivialized traditional catching in a very bad way, so today most of it is spamming that before using a sleep move and then trying your balls, but the fix for that should be gating those broken moves until postgame, not completely abandoning traditional capture mechanics in absolute favor for GO's motion minigame.

I think lots of people have said it now, and I agree that a fusion of these two systems would be the ideal immersive experience. Should keep an option to autotoss or lazy toss like the old way and pray to RNG for people playing handheld who don't want to accidentally chuck their Switch, or who simply don't want to use motion controls. Remember Star Fox Zero? Forcing motion controls is never good. However for people open to it, strategic throws could reduce the RNG factor to a Pokemon catch by adding bonus chance for good throws and possibly missing entirely or being swatted away by poor throws or throws against a Pokemon that hasn't been weakened enough yet.

@Axel said:

All of which are easily as involving as lowering their HP.

There's no lowering wild Pokemon's HP in this game. This has been confirmed. You just start tossing.

But this, as a casual spinoff/remake, doesn't offend me, it allows them to explore new gameplay styles.

As negative as I'm probably sounding, I still agree with this.

Yes, the game is clearly made to attract the Pokemon Go audience and lure them towards the Switch

It's both though. It's also made to get more traditional Pokemon players hooked on Pokemon GO. Niantic wants more profits too, and as cool as the 3-hour battery life Pokeball Joycon thing is, it is also a glorified Pokemon GO wristwatch 2.0 that they've found a clever way to sell to players through the Switch game, who will then feel obligated to give GO a chance cause they already have it, and it unlocks Switch game bonuses. They're growing the audiences for both games simultaneously. Let's GO is very much a console version of Pokemon GO.

@DarkenRaul1 said:

and the main series games for the hardcore fans (so these ones will me a LOT more complex like the last few titles but also remove all the unnecessary handholding and tutorials)

That's very optimistic. After SuMo, I expect way more handholding, railroading, and mandatory tutorials, but if the existence of GO did somehow lead to them drawing a stark line between the two series of games, resulting in no more Gen 1 pandering in core games as well as more player freedom, then that would indeed be the best of both worlds for everyone. Only time will tell, and I can already feel more casual players pushing what they want on the cores games just from discussions like these.

• @mbun said in Pokémon Announcements: Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee / Quest / 2019 Game!:

@Axel said:

All of which are easily as involving as lowering their HP.

There's no lowering wild Pokemon's HP in this game. This has been confirmed. You just start tossing.

You misunderstood me. I know there's no "lowering their HP" in this game, that's why I was suggesting other things that could be easily as involving as that, as a replacement. Of course, if all we end up with is a bare-bones ball-throwing sequence with no strategy or skill involved, it will suck.

• @axel Gotcha. You threw me off with the Punch-Out-like back-and-forth comment. Sounded like damage was being exchanged.

if all we end up with is a bare-bones ball-throwing sequence with no strategy or skill involved, it will suck

People will argue throwing the ball well is more engaging or something. Already hearing people say it.

• @mbun Yeah to be fair I doubt it will be deep. I'm hoping they'll add another layer of skill/strategy to it, because I just can't imagine capturing all Pokemon in the game, from a level 1 Rattata to a level 50 legendary Mewtwo, exactly the same way, by simply throwing ball after ball. But I guess that's how GO works already?

• @axel theres a little more to it then that but yea

• @axel Mewtwo and the like (the 3 birds for this game) are called Raid Pokemon, in Pokemon Go these ones you actually have to weaken 1st with your Pokemon before you get a chance to capture them, I'm going to assume it will be the same in thse games.