Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)

• @robbobwill I know what you mean with that anxiety thing. I kind of felt the same way until I sat and thought about it and realized that, not only will it be not a big loss, it might actually be beneficial. As Axel put it, wild battles were never "fun" to begin with, and this means we don't have to grind or slog through random battles with crazy high encounter rates in certain areas anymore.

As to your concern about finite battles, battles haven't been finite since Gen 2 as there has always been a mechanic in place to challenge certain trainers to rematches. However, that might be a moot point. As the Easy Allies noticed from studying the trailer extensively in their stream, there was no EXP bar from the shown battles, so you might not level up from fighting but from some other method. Whether that's from candies and stardust ala Pokemon Go or something else like Super Training from X & Y or something new entirely its anyone's guess.

I think your idea about randomly generated trainers is a pretty cool idea, but that is definitely not what'll be happening here. GameXplain did a cool side-by side between this trailer and the original Yellow, and the locations are almost one-to-one (even NPC placement was basically identical). This cements that this is a very up-to-date remake than a reboot or re-imagining like I previously thought. It was really cool, check it out!

• @mbun said in Pokémon Announcements: Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee / Quest / 2019 Game!:

@darkenraul1 said:

nostalgia it makes a good symbolic starting point for a "fresh start" on the Switch

How can the start be considered "fresh", when it is closely mimicking a game that came out in 1998?

Sorry, what I meant by "fresh start on the Switch" was to indicate it's the "first-home console main game" that is (almost) Gen 8 with new graphics and gameplay etc.

it was the next game in the cycle to be remade

no no NO!

Gen 4 Sinnoh was next in the cycle to be remade. Gens 1-3 have already received remakes in the forms of Fire Red / Leaf Green, Heart Gold / Soul Silver, and Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire. The cycle isn't continuously remaking only Gens 1-3 and ignoring everything beyond it. The only reason this is Kanto is because a majority of the GO players are people who haven't played core Pokemon since Gen 1, many of which crap on anything that came after it without ever giving it a shot, simply because it's "not their Pokemon" that they grew up with.

Well that's true only if you allow each game to be remade only once. The release order I was referring to went by generations: Gen 1 = Red/Blue/Yellow; Gen 2 = Gold/Silver/Crystal; Gen 3 = Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green; Gen 4 = Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heart Gold/Soul Silver; Gen 5 = Black/White/Black 2/White 2; Gen 6 = X/Y/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire; Gen 7 = Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

So Gen 1 has been remade with Fire Red/Leaf Green, Gen 2 has been remade with Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Gen 3 has been remade with Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire AND Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee; so Gen 4 should be remade next with a remake of Platinum probably and then most likely a remake of Crystal to maintain the pattern.

Although, in all seriousness, they might switch Crystal and Platinum around for remakes since Gen 2 was so much more successful commercially than Gen 4.

Having a co-op Pokemon game

Local co-op only. Ignore the fact that Nintendo is trying to sell people on an online service soon. Nope, you better GO out there and make friends with local strangers if you don't have family or friends to play with already. Once again Japan not understanding that what works for their culture doesn't automatically fly in the rest of the world.

How is local co-op an issue? Local play is something Nintendo has been promoting in Pokemon since Red/Blue. They've been pushing for kids to go out, meet friends, and play together since 1996! The fact that we can now not only play together competitively but now cooperatively is HUGE! This is especially true with so many games these days that don't even allow for local play. Let's turn your argument around, instead of a kid not having any friends, what if the kid has no internet and this was online co-op only? I think it should be both local AND online, but still, this is absolutely nothing to criticize at all.

removing random battles and replacing them with optional battles in the overworld is like a dream come true.

Two things lots of casual players aren't considering when they rave about this.

1. Since Gen 3 Pokemon Abilities have existed in the games that let a smart player tailor random encounters to their liking or disable them entirely, no repel needed. Some games have also had features like shaking bushes and other various things you could use to more easily find the Pokemon you are after in the wild.

2. There's going to be nothing exciting about going out to find Pokemon now. Instead of getting the battle intro leading to a mystery encounter, you just immediately see the Pokemon, meaning you'll walk into an area and more likely than not immediately know every Pokemon you can get there. While it cuts down time, it also cuts down any mystery that would've existed before. That said, this is a Gen 1 Yellow Remake essentially with confirmed only Pokemon from Gen 1, so I imagine in this case most people would be somewhat familiar with what is on each route already. It could be awful if this became a series staple going forward in areas we're less familiar with though. Also, I know some people enjoy hunting shiny Pokemon, and this is definitely going to make that process so much more tedious as you'll have to find the nearest load zones to reload the areas repeatedly to change up the spawns on the overworld. They'll probably improve on this if they go forward with the concept, but this first attempt is going to leave lots to be desired. Don't expect Pokemon Snap level of environmental immersion.

See, I've been playing the last several generations, and have even played semi-seriously in online battles for a bit, and I never knew this about using Abilities to disable random encounters, and I'd hardly consider myself a casual. I can only imagine how few people utilized this when this is a common complaint I hear literally all over the internet. The fact that the default system is being swarmed with Zubats every 5 steps I take wishing I had 99 max repels indicates there is a design flaw in this system. To be honest, I've played a lot of games with random encounters and I hate that aspect of every single one of them. The games that did it smart use semi-random battles (i.e. creatures in the overworld you can either ignore or encounter, but you don't what it is until you engage) like Persona 5 or Earth Bound for example.

I'll conceed to your point, that Pokemon in the overworld remove the mystery, but this game is perfect for that since everyone knows Gen 1 Pokemon like the back of their hand. I will hold onto my sentiment that seeing Pokemon roaming around in the overworld is immersive (like seeing them in their natural habitat), but idk how we could do that for the upcoming game to keep mystery while having this cool feature. Maybe Pokemon won't appear in the overworld until you see them once, and before then, you'll just see grass rustle like in Gen 5 or something?

how did you capture Pokemon before? You beat the shit out them to wear them down and then tried to catch them. This mini-game of trying to catch them from the start depending on how you throw the ball is actually much more immersive

How is just chucking unlimited Pokeballs at stuff immediately until you get lucky more immersive than carefully whittling Pokemon down until they're weak enough to be captured by a ball you've invested money into purchasing and holding for just the right occasion? Sure, False Swipe and such trivialized traditional catching in a very bad way, so today most of it is spamming that before using a sleep move and then trying your balls, but the fix for that should be gating those broken moves until postgame, not completely abandoning traditional capture mechanics in absolute favor for GO's motion minigame.

I think lots of people have said it now, and I agree that a fusion of these two systems would be the ideal immersive experience. Should keep an option to autotoss or lazy toss like the old way and pray to RNG for people playing handheld who don't want to accidentally chuck their Switch, or who simply don't want to use motion controls. Remember Star Fox Zero? Forcing motion controls is never good. However for people open to it, strategic throws could reduce the RNG factor to a Pokemon catch by adding bonus chance for good throws and possibly missing entirely or being swatted away by poor throws or throws against a Pokemon that hasn't been weakened enough yet.

Well you never have unlimited Pokeballs, and the idea of actually throwing something (i.e. the joycon or Pokeball Plus) to capture the Pokemon is what's immersive (that and the idea of creeping up on a Pokemon and trying to catch it from the start and not sicking your own tamed animals at it first). Will it get old? Sure, but the website says you can catch them using button controls if you want.

I will agree with your sentiment though, that it should be either a fusion of the two OR the ability to choose between the two as you said. I'm defending its abandonment because it was never "fun" for me to just fight wild pokemon (either to catch or grind), but that said, I think mixing battling with this capture system might be the best fusion of the two, and I doubt that the next game will remove wild battles when so many people are screaming at Nintendo to bring them back. I am curious to see how this works/feels though to see if it will get a positive enough reception to be incorporated in the 2019 game in some way

and the main series games for the hardcore fans (so these ones will me a LOT more complex like the last few titles but also remove all the unnecessary handholding and tutorials)

That's very optimistic. After SuMo, I expect way more handholding, railroading, and mandatory tutorials, but if the existence of GO did somehow lead to them drawing a stark line between the two series of games, resulting in no more Gen 1 pandering in core games as well as more player freedom, then that would indeed be the best of both worlds for everyone. Only time will tell, and I can already feel more casual players pushing what they want on the cores games just from discussions like these.

I can understand why you'd feel that way after that. But maybe the reason why I'm optimistic about this is because it feels like this game is specifically designed for casual players and the next game was announced specifically to returning fans. It shouldn't be an assumption that we cannot have dark and serious story lines especially after Black/White, and it shouldn't be an assumption that we cannot have a Pokemon game without handholding (even tho most of them have it). Fingers crossed this separating of the series into 2 from this point forward will make both casuals and hardcore fans happy.

• @darkenraul1 said:

Gen 3 = Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green
    AND Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee

You're talking about remaking remakes, and that's not what Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee is. It is pitched as a remake of the Gen 1 game Yellow, not a remake of the Gen 3 games Fire Red / Leaf Green even if GameFreak ever decided to go down that terrible road of remaking remakes.

How is local co-op an issue

Because Nintendo is about to start selling online and pushing people to pay to use their online, so they need products to give incentive for people to buy into said paid online, and every game that could have online but lacks it is dropping the ball.

what if the kid has no internet and this was online co-op only?

I never said online only. I said it should have online. Nintendo needs to stop forcing local coop only. It's a crutch they've leaned on entirely too long, and they can't keep making the excuses when they're trying to sell people online now. If I see one more fucking Mario Party without online come out, I'm going to scream.

I think it should be both local AND online, but still, this is absolutely nothing to criticize at all.

If you yourself agree it should be both, then yes it absolutely is something to criticize.

there is a design flaw in this system

The human system. People have had five Generations of Pokemon to learn about the existence of field effects of abilities. Lots of the games have NPCs that straight up tell you about them, so I'm going to blame the people who refuse to read these days and skip through all dialogue. I'm never going to blame a developer for a problem that stems from a user being unwilling to pay attention and learn. Also, the Zubat swarm joke is specifically something parroted mostly by people who haven't played since Gen 1 and are thinking of things like Mt. Moon, back when there weren't solutions besides Repel, and you had to manually reopen your menu and keep using the next Repel when your active one ran out. We've come a far, far way since then.

The games that did it smart use semi-random battles (i.e. creatures in the overworld you can either ignore or encounter, but you don't what it is until you engage)

During the latest RPG Limit Break, I tuned into the Dragon Quest VIII run for a bit, and the runner was turning around back and forth to forcibly respawn enemies in his field of view slightly far off to hunt for Metal Slimes to grind faster. It was super finicky and tedious, and this system is still yet better than what we're going to receive in Let's GO with our more top down view of the field.

Honestly, what we need is more like in Sun / Moon where the trees would shake and have Pokemon inside them, so you could hunt areas that would likely have the kind of Pokemon you're looking for, but you would also have the grass to grind it out for the general populace of the route in it. Could have things like logs, bushes, burrows, shallow caves and pools, etc. added to routes to make them feel more lived in and alive while also acting as many spawn points. If you wanted to go the extra mile, occasionally the Pokemon in these could peek out, so they're not all always visible on the field, but you could be walking and occasionally spot something you want really quickly before it hid itself again. Going forward we basically just need to get closer to Pokemon Snap without being stuck on a track for natural habitats to take shape.

Well you never have unlimited Pokeballs

We don't know that yet. Nothing during the trailer showed an amount of Pokeballs you have left or selecting a type of ball, so it is easy to assume in this new game you just throw balls from an unlimited supply until shown otherwise.

the website says you can catch them using button controls if you want

Actually did not know that. Cool. That helps with the handheld problem at least.

It shouldn't be an assumption that we cannot have dark and serious story lines especially after Black/White

Just to be clear, while I like Black / White and love BW2 for how they build on those games as direct sequels among many other gameplay-centric reasons, my favorite mainline Pokemon formula is the light on story, rich on world building adventure type Pokemon games.

it shouldn't be an assumption that we cannot have a Pokemon game without handholding

My reasoning behind this assumption is when the games that add tons of this sell way better than the ones that don't. Sun / Moon might've been a coincidence, because it was the first game that came after Pokemon GO brought more players in, but Let's GO looks like it is going to likewise sell pretty damn well, and when it does GameFreak will have plenty time to stuff the 2019 game full of things that "worked in Let's GO" to try and get those players to shift over and buy the next game as well.

Fingers crossed this separating of the series into 2 from this point forward will make both casuals and hardcore fans happy.

Same, but I'm not holding my breath.

• @mbun said in Pokémon Announcements: Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee / Quest / 2019 Game!:

@darkenraul1 said:

Gen 3 = Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green
    AND Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee

You're talking about remaking remakes, and that's not what Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee is. It is pitched as a remake of the Gen 1 game Yellow, not a remake of the Gen 3 games Fire Red / Leaf Green even if GameFreak ever decided to go down that terrible road of remaking remakes.

Okay, fair point. I think the basis for this idea is less of it being more similar to Fire Red and more of the release order since this just so happened to be a "Gen 1" remake right after a Gen 3 remake. We'll see who's right with the next remake to come out I guess, but I have a feeling that these games will be so popular they'll stick to the "Let's Go" brand name.

How is local co-op an issue

Because Nintendo is about to start selling online and pushing people to pay to use their online, so they need products to give incentive for people to buy into said paid online, and every game that could have online but lacks it is dropping the ball.

what if the kid has no internet and this was online co-op only?

I never said online only. I said it should have online. Nintendo needs to stop forcing local coop only. It's a crutch they've leaned on entirely too long, and they can't keep making the excuses when they're trying to sell people online now. If I see one more fucking Mario Party without online come out, I'm going to scream.

I think it should be both local AND online, but still, this is absolutely nothing to criticize at all.

If you yourself agree it should be both, then yes it absolutely is something to criticize.

I know you never said online only, but my point is that if we criticize this game for being local play only why don't we criticize all the games out there that are online only? Shit man, I prefer local only over online only, and idk about you, but I think you might be the only one bummed by this as I haven't seen anyone criticize local co-op play so much before (especially when its just optional).

As to my point as I think having both is best, that doesn't contradict the point I was making before that an optional feature that only serves to enhance the game is something not deserving of criticism. But this is a pretty pointless point to keep arguing over so I'm just going to drop it. I'm stoked for this, your not, hopefully they make this local and online in the future.

there is a design flaw in this system

The human system. People have had five Generations of Pokemon to learn about the existence of field effects of abilities. Lots of the games have NPCs that straight up tell you about them, so I'm going to blame the people who refuse to read these days and skip through all dialogue. I'm never going to blame a developer for a problem that stems from a user being unwilling to pay attention and learn.

Common man, there is so much pointless dialogue in Pokemon that of course people are going to drown out trivial stuff. Sure, repels are a solution and once they run out a pop-up comes up to ask if you want another, fine. But the problem is that this is the default. It's not whether there's a work around or not, its the basis of random encounters in the first place. They are annoyances that disrupt the flow of gameplay in any game and (in their archaic form) are never fun.

The games that did it smart use semi-random battles (i.e. creatures in the overworld you can either ignore or encounter, but you don't what it is until you engage)

During the latest RPG Limit Break, I tuned into the Dragon Quest VIII run for a bit, and the runner was turning around back and forth to forcibly respawn enemies in his field of view slightly far off to hunt for Metal Slimes to grind faster. It was super finicky and tedious, and this system is still yet better than what we're going to receive in Let's GO with our more top down view of the field.

Honestly, what we need is more like in Sun / Moon where the trees would shake and have Pokemon inside them, so you could hunt areas that would likely have the kind of Pokemon you're looking for, but you would also have the grass to grind it out for the general populace of the route in it. Could have things like logs, bushes, burrows, shallow caves and pools, etc. added to routes to make them feel more lived in and alive while also acting as many spawn points. If you wanted to go the extra mile, occasionally the Pokemon in these could peek out, so they're not all always visible on the field, but you could be walking and occasionally spot something you want really quickly before it hid itself again. Going forward we basically just need to get closer to Pokemon Snap without being stuck on a track for natural habitats to take shape.

Well you never have unlimited Pokeballs

Okay there are some cool ideas here. Personally, I'd still like any system that just does away with the idea of random encounters. Really it should be the opposite of the default, where you dose yourself with pheromones or something if you want to grind up or something (I've seen that in a few games). I do especially like the idea of going off the beaten track to find Pokemon, almost like you're hunting these guys down like in Monster Hunter or something.

We don't know that yet. Nothing during the trailer showed an amount of Pokeballs you have left or selecting a type of ball, so it is easy to assume in this new game you just throw balls from an unlimited supply until shown otherwise.

I mean, I guess, but no game (not even Pokemon Go) has unlimited balls. Odds are it'll be easy to stock up, but will definitely not be unlimited.

the website says you can catch them using button controls if you want

Actually did not know that. Cool. That helps with the handheld problem at least.

Yup, site says "Now you can use your Nintendo Switch’s Joy-Con to toss a Poké Ball at your target with one hand, either by pressing a button or flicking your wrist." (wanted to double check to make sure I was correct)

Are you getting this game, mbun? I know you seem very much against a lot of the ideas they're doing here, but are you gonna check it out to see if its as bad as you think it is, or will this be a hard pass for you? I'm gonna get this because I'm overly optimistic (and want that Pokeball Plus lol), but that $60 price tag is a tough pill to swallow from what we've seen so far imo.

• @darkenraul1 said:

why don't we criticize all the games out there that are online only?

Sure, but that's a different discussion for a different place. Pokemon always has local, so it isn't a concern until it doesn't.

I think you might be the only one bummed by this as I haven't seen anyone criticize local co-op play so much before

No, there's definitely a whole audience of people out there who want the option to play with far off friends or family and wish this was an option. Hell, there's an entire community of people online who modify local only games from the past to run through online portals. It is a deeply desired feature, and even Nintendo is recognizing it with part of their new online package being online play added to NES (and maybe SNES, we'll see I guess) games.

an optional feature that only serves to enhance the game is something not deserving of criticism

It is one of the main features of this game since most of it is just a remake. Yes, you're allowed to criticize when one of a game's main selling points is only doing half of what it should be.

It's not whether there's a work around or not, its the basis of random encounters in the first place.

Most tall grass is designed to be mostly avoidable anyways. It only ever really becomes a "problem" in caves, and I guess if you felt it was so detrimental you could design caves with darker tiles that encounters would only happen on like the overworld, but honestly they're supposed to be a trial to slog through. You're supposed to feel challenged and beaten back by wild Pokemon as you cruise through their habitat. That's all part of the adventure you're supposed to overcome.

Oh I'm sorry, are those pesky POKEMON interrupting your POKEMON game?!

Really it should be the opposite of the default, where you dose yourself with pheromones or something if you want to grind up or something (I've seen that in a few games).

Gen 8:
    alt text
    Jokes aside, neat idea.

Are you getting this game, mbun?

I think after the recent revealed information I'm currently hard out on this one.

I know you seem very much against a lot of the ideas they're doing here, but are you gonna check it out to see if its as bad as you think it is, or will this be a hard pass for you?

I'll at least read about people who are playing it and possibly watch playthroughs of it to see what the environments and such look like, because they do look pretty nice considering they had the flat Kanto to work with. I'm not 100% on the main trainer designs with Big Head Mode activated, but they don't look as terrible as those fake leaked ones did. I'm not and never plan to be a GO player, so I'm confident in saying I'm hard out at this point, but it still is an interesting game for people with children and such. That should be a fun thing to view from the outside, so I'm not upset that it exists by any means. I'm just fearful for the future until proven otherwise.

that $60 price tag is a tough pill to swallow from what we've seen so far imo

It is a mainline Pokemon game, so I imagine the $60 will be justified, honestly it already feels justified in the fact that they animated 150 (or 151) Pokemon following you including riding, flying, etc. animations for the bigger ones. That is quite a bit of work. All the Kanto Trainers have also been remodeled, and many of them look fantastic. Even the moves themselves seem like they've gotten some polish, although problems still exist such as a Water Type move coming out of the forehead of a Pokemon instead of its mouth. As long as it runs better than Sun / Moon did, I'm sure it will easily be worth $60.

What needs to prove whether it is worth the price or not is the 3-hour battery life Pokemon GO Plus Pokeball Plus accessory that costs an extra $50, driving the price of this game to be played as intended up to $110, and maybe getting shelved for lots of people who don't play Pokemon GO after this game is over. Slightly easier cost to swallow for avid GO players.

• @mbun Okay, you made a pretty good point about how tall grass is mostly avoidable and how darker tiles in caves would probably fix my ultimate gripes with forced random encounters (or any other location that you have to cross that has them, like in that underwater dungeon in X and Y)

"Oh I'm sorry, are those pesky POKEMON interrupting your POKEMON game?!" ngl I legit laughed out loud to this haha. Nice jab.

You made a good point about the price tag for the game. As for the Pokeball Plus, I was surprised when it said 3 hour battery life as well, but there's no way it can be that short while you use it in Poke-walker mode. Like, it's got to be in a power saver state or something if it's really only counting your steps and shouting "Pikachu" when you shake it. Also, I really hope this isn't the only title that utilizes this device. Like I seriously hope its compatible with future Pokemon games (and since how many buttons do you need to play main Pokemon titles anyway???). That said, I seriously wish this was a legit joycon that had all the buttons on it spread around it (and not just the one on top) but then again i have no idea if that would be super uncomfortable to use or not.

• @darkenraul1 said:

there's no way it can be that short while you use it in Poke-walker mode

I imagine it is this short when you're playing the game at home, because of how often you'll be using the controls and how often the ball will light up and make sounds during catch attempts and successes.

Like, it's got to be in a power saver state or something if it's really only counting your steps and shouting "Pikachu" when you shake it.

I don't know how you do it, but the site mentions you can disable the sound effects it makes if you don't want to make a scene in public, so maybe that could extend the battery life somewhat. If all it is doing is dangling from your belt and counting steps, then I'm sure the battery life will go beyond 3 hours.

Also, I really hope this isn't the only title that utilizes this device.

Site also mentions it isn't compatible with any other Switch games, even ones that use single Joycon, so the dream of a Pokeball Plus run of Dark Souls is dead.

Like I seriously hope its compatible with future Pokemon games

I could see this happening though.

That said, I seriously wish this was a legit joycon that had all the buttons on it spread around it (and not just the one on top) but then again i have no idea if that would be super uncomfortable to use or not.

Powerglove says that's probably a bad idea. I love that it's just one button personally.

• I for one, am still excited for this. I've never played a Pokemon game despite owning a Gameboy back in the day and having ample opportunity to pick it up. But "Brandon Plays Pokemon" changed my opinion, and made me want to at least start getting into it. While I'm disappointed its not a full RPG, I think it might be a good stepping stone to get into the other full game later next year.

• It comes down to content and price. If this is just Pokemon GO! but with the Red/Blue map to walk around, it's hard to justify spending more than $20-30. There isn't much information about how the game really 'progresses' as an "action RPG", so people should reserve their judgement. Though with the way this is being advertised, it really does seem like an extension of the mobile game, which I think hurts it as a supposedly full fledged entity. Gamefreak really shouldn't have leaned into GO! if they wanted to sell this as it's own thing with its own identity.

• @namzor Just want to point out that this game is a full RPG based on Pokemon Yellow. I'm even willing to bet they expanded the story moments against Team Rocket and such to make it a little different from previous experiences, but if you've never played a Pokemon game before, I'm betting this will be a great place to start.

@world_rejector I'd argue that the trailer did a great job of selling this as its own full game with some Pokemon Go mechanics (and inter-connectivity thrown in) than just a Pokemon Go expansion. Also, to be fair, this was just the initial announcement. I bet we'll see more of this at E3 which should a LOT of remaining questions we all have at the moment.

• Serebii said:

There has been confusion going around regarding Pokémon Let's Go PIkachu & Let's Go Eevee's online features. Famitsu has obtained some clarification regarding it stating that it will have online battles and trades, will require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription and lacks features such as GTS, Battle Spot and Wonder Trade. The Pokémon Company states that the online is to be simplified

• @mbun Hey it's better than nothing. Glad we cleared that up, because there really was a lot of conflicting info (some sources said no online period, while another source said there was and to disregard the first statement as a mistranslation lol)

• So GameXplain came out with an analysis video of the trailer yesterday that answers some questions.

Here are some of the biggest things from the video (for me at least):

• The layout of the overworld is almost identical to Red/Blue/Yellow, but stylistically, is much more akin to Fire Red/Leaf Green in most places (additionally, some places have been completely over-hauled like Cycling Road)
    • Gyms will be returning (some were worried this would be gone, but it looks as though all 8 gyms from the original game will be present).
    • Not only will all ~151 Pokemon be able to follow you around, but when bigger Pokemon are in your first slot, you can ride them, and it doesn't seem to be in select locations ala X & Y either, but any route where you'd have been able to ride your bike.
    • Speaking of bikes, it doesn't look like the bike makes a reappearance in this game (at least you don't need it for bike road in this version) but this isn't 100% confirmed.
    • Alolan forms of the 151 Pokemon will be making a return (although it remains to be seen if we'll see a return of Mega Evolutions).
    • HM moves will not be returning for this game (although I presume the moves will still be present converted into TMs). However, there are still obstacles like trees you can cut suggesting there will be something else you'd use to get past them (like key items or something)
    • Because @Mbun brought it up before, it seems all but confirmed there won't be unlimited Pokeballs as indicated by the counter at the bottom of the catch screen.
    • The method of co-op featured so far is tied to player 1's Pokemon and items only, and there is nothing so far to suggest that player 2 can import/export their own save data (including Pokemon and items)

There a few other neat little things they go over, but these were the big things imo.

There are still several questions I have that are still unanswered, most of which that were also raised by GameXplain as well:

1. How do we level up our Pokemon? It doesn't appear as though you get any experience from battles as there doesn't seem to be any EXP bar? Will we level up similarly to Pokemon Go via candies and stardust? Or will it be something entirely different (such as Super Training in X and Y for example)? While grinding via wild battles is gone, it seems as though there is a way to raise your Pokemon's level at your own pace as evidenced by the level 18 Pikachu and level 18 Bulbasaur.
    2. Also, as GameXplain points out, Pokemon seem to have a CP ala Pokemon Go while you are attempting to capture it. But when you battle trainers, it goes by levels and stats and not CP, so how does CP translate into normal Pokemon stats?
    3. I think its been announced that you only import Pokemon into Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee from Pokemon Go and that you cannot export them back? But do you actually send the Pokemon over, or does it just send a copy to your Switch? Additionally, Pokemon transferred only appear in the Go Park, but are they stuck there or can you take them with you? I heard a rumor from bloodworth in the reaction stream that you'd have to capture it again after a certain point (like maybe you need a certain number of badges for certain pokemon or something) so that way you won't just dominate with OP Pokemon from the beginning, but idk if that's true or or not. Honestly, I hope the game just sends over a copy instead of your actual Pokemon from Go so that way you don't forever lose them in Go.
    4. Finally, I know that online features are to be simplified, but will we still be able to connect to prior games to transfer Gen 1 Pokemon, connect to the Pokemon Bank at all, or connect with the game coming out in 2019?

• @darkenraul1 said:

I think its been announced that you only import Pokemon into Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee from Pokemon Go and that you cannot export them back?

It would upset GO's balance if you could train Pokemon in Let's GO and then toss them to GO.

But do you actually send the Pokemon over, or does it just send a copy to your Switch? Additionally, Pokemon transferred only appear in the Go Park, but are they stuck there or can you take them with you?

I'm expecting it to work similar to the Pal Park from Gen 4 Sinnoh, where you just import them to this Park where you can go catch them in your game. I'm curious where they'll locate the park, whether it'll overwrite Safari Zone area, which would be a real oddity in this new system, or be added elsewhere.

• Guys! What if the new Pokemon in Let's GO Pikachu & Eevee is...

Missingno.

• @darkenraul1 Interesting video! Honestly I'm quite tempted by the game now, it seems to be a fully-featured remake apart from the wild battles which I personally won't miss. And it does look gorgeous, if a little too clean but Pokémon always will be.

It also makes me very enthusiastic about the 2019 game in terms of production values, it should be grand!

• @darkenraul1 said:

Yup, site says "Now you can use your Nintendo Switch’s Joy-Con to toss a Poké Ball at your target with one hand, either by pressing a button or flicking your wrist." (wanted to double check to make sure I was correct)

Strangely, it seems you do indeed have to use motion controls to toss a Pokéball. Weird that the site stated otherwise.

Youtube Video

• @mbun Huh, that is weird. It's also unfortunate. Although I'm down with the new catching system, even I'll find doing a throwing motion every time tiresome after a while. Then again, we don't know yet, but assuming leveling up is not based on catching Pokemon like Pokemon Go and instead some other method (so you don't have to catch every single Pokemon you come across), it might not be that big of a deal.

• Speaking of new information, this video compiled a list of infro from several internet sources: Eurogamer Source, IGN Source, A slightly less credible news source

Here's a rundown of all the new info:

• It's confirmed there will be wild Pikachu and Eevee that will be able to be evolved.
    • The PC you can store Pokemon in is now mobile and part of your inventory, meaning you can now switch Pokemon on the go!
    • Characters from the anime (i.e. Jessie and James) will be appearing. This makes sense considering this is based on Yellow.
    • Turns out, EXP is earned by catching Pokemon and Trainer battles. Assuming you get the EXP share at the very start, then the catching EXP makes sense as it'll go to your whole party (and explains why those 2 Pokemon in the trailer, Pikachu and Bulbasaur, were both Lv. 18).
    • Breeding will not be available in these games.
    • It seems they are revamping stats in this game (i.e. IVs and EVs) to make them simpler.
    • It is confirmed that when you send Pokemon to the Go Park, you have to capture it again in order to have it join your party, and the Go Park will be unlocked about half-way in the game. (also seems like Mbun is right in that it actually sends the Pokemon over and not just a copy)
    • The 2019 game has been in development as long as the Let's Go games, and both were being developed simultaneously.
    • According to Masuda, if these games sell well enough, it's possible the "core games" will have 2 series of games from now on (i.e. the Let's Go remakes and the more traditional new rpgs).
    • The story and game of Let's Go will not really be all that different from Yellow.
    • It doesn't sound like the 2019 game will be the "breath of the wild" reinvention of the series people are hoping for as Masuda expressed some serious concerns with open world gameplay (specifically that too much direction down that path will no longer make Pokemon so readily accessible to brand new players); but he wasn't 100% against the idea either.
    • According to IGN: "When in handheld mode, you must use motion controls to aim the Poke Ball, but press a button to throw." (This kinda goes against the info that you have to do a throwing motion to catch Pokemon, but would be nice if true).
    • While you can't send Pokemon to your Pokemon Go account, you can send gifts (such as that never before seen Pokemon in the trailer being that one exception). There are also other ways to connect between Let's Go and Go that haven't been revealed yet.

Edit: Might as well add things that Pokemon tells us to "wait for more information" on. This include 1) connectivity with the Pokemon Bank and the upcoming 2019 game; 2) Mega Evolutions and Z moves; 3) exactly how stats (including the simplified IVs and EVs, the connection with CP, and the transferring of Pokemon from Go to Let's Go) work; 4) other methods of connection between Go and Let's Go.

• @darkenraul1 said:

According to IGN: "When in handheld mode, you must use motion controls to aim the Poke Ball, but press a button to throw." (This kinda goes against the info that you have to do a throwing motion to catch Pokemon, but would be nice if true).

Technically that would still be using motion controls, just along with a button press. Maybe the confusion is because in Handheld Mode it is a combination of the two?