Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)

• @darkenraul1 said:

According to IGN: "When in handheld mode, you must use motion controls to aim the Poke Ball, but press a button to throw." (This kinda goes against the info that you have to do a throwing motion to catch Pokemon, but would be nice if true).

Technically that would still be using motion controls, just along with a button press. Maybe the confusion is because in Handheld Mode it is a combination of the two?

• I'm so down for the Pokeball Plus.
    Preorders for have gone up on Amazon Europe. Get in while you can.

• The Treehouse demo showed the game in action:

Youtube Video

I have to say it looks gorgeous! And it seems like a full-fledged remake, the only major difference being how you capture Pokemon as we discussed before. But the rest is all there, leveling up, choosing moves, trainer battles, towns, NPCs, etc.

Also features details from the press release:

Candy Jar—Players can use a variety of Candies to strengthen their Pokémon in a training system introduced in Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! Later in the game, players will be able to send their Pokémon to Professor Oak to receive these Candies.

Link Trading and Battles—Players will be able to trade and engage in Single and Double Battles with other players online and via local wireless communication. Trading and battling online will require an active Nintendo Switch Online membership, a paid service launching this September.

I think I'm in!

• Thoughts and things I noticed watching the Treehouse presentation for this:

• The way Pokemon appear in the environment is actually not too shabby. Flying Pokemon will even fly away.
    • In towns, there seem to even be cute NPC events involving their Pokemon.
    • But just during the Viridian Forest section, they had trouble dodging Pokemon, so Mt. Moon could be just as bad with Zubat swarms.
    • Also, a nitpick, it kinda feels like it defeats the point of tall grass when the Pokemon venture out of it frequently.
    • Pokemon that follow you or you ride disappear jarringly when events happen such as a trainer walking up to you or changing screens.
    • Pokemon that follow you can be talked to for tidbits that directly resemble what was in Heart Gold / Soul Silver.
    • Partner Pokemon wag their tails when items are nearby.
    • Might've just been for demo, but you might get the Exp All (Share) super early in this game, like first or second town.
    • Amounts of experience are highly dependent on different bonuses for how well you catch wild Pokemon including first try.
    • Trainers in addition to money reward Pokeballs when beaten.
    • Pokemon sometimes reward berries when caught that make others easier to catch. Think Safari Zone bait.
    • Pokeball Plus has stronger HD Rumble than a normal Joycon, which is probably another reason for the short battery life.
    • Seems you can initiate the online features from anywhere like in XY with the PSS system, although more simplistic.
    • GO Park does indeed replace the Safari Zone like I predicted.
    • CP level of Pokemon transferred from GO determines their level in Let's GO.
    • Sending caught Pokemon you don't want to Oak gets you candy that acts like and probably replaces items like Protein for EV training.

• It's also confirmed that these main characters are not the characters from original games/the anime as evidenced by the "rival" character. Sad you don't have dick-head Blue/Gary in this one, but I guess it's to be expected.

Also, although it's been pointed out elsewhere on the interwebs, I love how they kept the original dumb dialogue from the NPC trainers. "Oops! Light-years isn't time... It measures distance!"

But man, this game is so slick. I seriously can't wait until it comes out!

• @darkenraul1 said:

It's also confirmed that these main characters are not the characters from original games/the anime as evidenced by the "rival" character. Sad you don't have dick-head Blue/Gary in this one, but I guess it's to be expected.

I thought they confirmed that before and hinted that the old characters would be encountered at points in this game. I do like how the new trainers are still young, possibly even 11 like the original Gen 1 protags, versus the aged up more recent protagonists. Makes sense to use younger playable characters in your series aimed at younger kids and keep the older characters for the more traditional entries aimed at an older playerbase. Likewise I hope this game having nice rivals to not hurt children's feelings means the main series gets to go back to jerk rivals.

• Just preordered the Eevee/Pokeball Plus bundle on Amazon! So stoked to actually play this bad boy.

• Global Moderator

Is it okay to remove Quest and 2019 game from the title? I think this topic could be used as the general topic for Let's Go since that's the primary discussion, probably for the next year.

• @tokeeffe9 good shout - thank you! :)

• Pre-ordered 'Let's Go, Eevee!' and the Pokéball Plus with Amazon UK.

I really liked the demonstrations during the Nintendo Treehouse - great to actually see the game in action, and see how all the Pokémon Go-inspired features work together with those established in main series Pokémon games and the original Gen I games.

My main personal concern is the potentially repetitive nature of catching the same Pokémon over and over again to grind for candy. Interested to hear more on how this works, and if there are any additional benefits other than powering up the EVs of your Pokémon.

But I'm ready to hop in and enjoy a fun, chill jaunt through the Kanto region again :)

• @rarmstar said:

My main personal concern is the potentially repetitive nature of catching the same Pokémon over and over again to grind for candy.

As long as you don't switch your team that often, I think you'll have plenty exp off normal catching of Pokemon and defeating trainers to not need to grind, especially if you really do get Exp Share that early.

@tokeeffe9 Quest is just pretty shallow, so there's really not much else to say about it now.

• @RARMSTAR I think Mbun is right in that you probably won't have to catch a whole lot of Pokemon to beat the game, but if you do you'll be able to use the Candy Jar system or whatever.

Speaking of,

a tweet just came in that kinda shows off that system a little bit better. It looks like catching certain types of Pokemon will reward you certain candies to boost a specific stat (similar to how fighting certain Pokemon would reward you EVs in past games). They weren't kidding with how they made EV training much more simplified for this game, which I think makes sense for the casual fans coming in with this title.

• @darkenraul1 said:

They weren't kidding with how they made EV training much more simplified for this game

It's more simplified for people who don't know what they're doing but takes way longer for people who do, because they have to catch lots of said Pokemon, send them to Oak, then feed candies, instead of just Power Iteming up and grinding it out.

• Lots of new trailers coming out today with new info for this.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Also this very sexy world map!

alt text

• @axel It looks great but the S.S. Anne sure doesn't have a lot of places to go.

• @sabotagethetruth No wonder the cruise you go on in the game is so short.

I think Cycling Road and maybe the bottom right route (forget the number) are supposed to be elevated. Cycling Road in particular is built like a bridge if I remember correctly from depictions in the anime and such. It is for sure 100% man-made, although the early games display it as a landmass due to technical limitations of the time, and they might not have wanted to mess with that for this remake even though I'm pretty sure the original intention was for it to be a bridge. If you look at the cycling path in the Gen 3, Hoenn Region games you'll see what I mean. Pokemon didn't really do bridges well until Gen 5.

• Because I'm lazy, but maybe people care?
    Youtube Video

• Apparently there will be a way to get Alolan Forms in Let's Go without playing Pokemon GO, but they won't say how yet, and there's some reward or event triggered by catching 'em all in Let's Go.

• Highly suggest listening to but maybe not watching this video if you still plan to get this game.
    Youtube Video

Not going to list everything said, but the big one is there's no hold items or abilities in Let's Go.