2018 FIFA World Cup

• The summer of football (or soccer) is once again upon us! 32 countries, 64 games, and eventually one winning team, celebrating with the trophy. All that in one month, crazy good times ahead.

This time the tournament takes place in Russia. It starts in two weeks, on Thursday June 14th, and the final will be played on Sunday July 15th.

alt text

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup

A sports event doesn't get much bigger than this, it's truly a global celebration and get-together, so hopefully we'll see folks around the world taking part in the conversation here.

And hey!
    This year FIFA has a cool Bracket Challenge on their site. You get to predict how the tournament will go from beginning to the end. Just notice, that you CAN NOT change your predictions once you've made them. It's a one time thing, so act accordingly.
    https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/

If you do take part on that, it'd be cool if you created an account for yourself there and joined a league I made for us here on Easy Allies Forums. It would add a little competition to the mix, seeing how everyone's predictions are shaping up as the tournament moves forward.

So once you have an account, go to My Leagues and search for our league with the code ee915d8f. You should then see "Easy Allies Forums" and at least me under the name "Spotless88".

So yeah. Let's enjoy some football!

• And for that reason... I'm in!!

• What a fun thing this is, i'm so in.

• Awesome, I joined too!

Betting it all on France, this is our time, 20-year anniversary of our first win, we've got a new golden generation, should have won the Euro 2016, this is it!

• I'm super hyped for the World Cup this two weeks can't go by fast enough, really sucks that the first match is probably the least interesting match of all the tournament, but still super hyped.

I don't have a lot of confidence in our team repeating the great performance we had in 2014 (Costa Rica) but I'm at least hoping we will see some decent games from our guys, and aside from that I have a good number of dark horses that I think can have some pretty decent tournaments (come on Iran!!!)

I'll join into the bracket, though I feel I'll end up having a bit too much confidence in a few too many upsets.

• Cool, didn't know we had Costa Rica in here. You guys surprised me - and the whole world, pretty much - so big time four years ago, that was amazing to witness. Hopefully we'll see great surprises and underdog stories this time as well. It'd be really cool if one of the African countries had their stars aligned, for instance.

Otherwise, I'm rooting for Germany. Been their fan ten years or so. And sure, there's love for our three Nordic neighbours as well who made it to the tournament. And actually just pretty much for any team at this point, I'm open to see whichever way it all goes. There's excitement all around!

• I hope that Russian's team will be eliminated as soon as possible. I have nothing personal against national team, it's only because of attitude of TV broadcasters and football fans: each time our team plays, they express so much hate toward opponents and judges, that it's practically unwatchable.

• @bard91 said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

(come on Iran!!!)

:D

Underdogs are what make the World Cup interesting for me. Iran, Iceland, Costa Rica, Serbia, Japan...let's go!!!!!

• I'll be supporting Iceland this time... FOR HUBER!

• @ffff0 intereating to hear that, even though their group is super easy I do expect that Uruguay and Egypt will go through since it seems the Russian team is pretty bad atm, that said I wouldnt be surprised by some referee decisions helping out the host

@Sentinel-Beach I have faith in pretty much all of the african teams, I think any of them have at chance at the second round, sadly the apparent best team from Africa(Morocco) is in the toughest group, and same goes for Asian teams since it seems like only Iran is in good form

• Global Moderator

Knowing myself, Im gonna end up watching some of the group play, get grumpy over that Sweden doesnt make it further, come back and watch anything from around the semi final and stay up way too late on the finals night!

• @lotias I think Sweden has a good chance of gettong throguh the first round, S Korea is an absolute mess, Germany is ironclad, and Mexico is always a good sport but I don't see them doing well with this manager.

What's woukd be though for Sweden is they would likely go against Brazil in the second round

• i played with my heart

• Nice, seven members already.

• Germany, 2006. This is the song and video that encapsulates football perfectly for me. I was 18 at the time and that was truly the first World Cup that I was heavily invested in. I love everything about this, all the feelings and the pure celebration. <3

Youtube Video

• This is going to be fun, made sure to have some hottakes :) (dont talk to me about group f, its sad enough just thinking about it)

• Global Moderator

Absolutely can't wait for it to begin. On paper, it's extremely difficult not seeing the semi finals being France, Brazil, Spain, Germany but I'm sure it'll throw up some suprises.

Group D looks like anything could happen in it. That's probably the one I'm most looking forward to.

• I joined too.

I think France will win but my wish is for England to reach the finals.

• I really like how Group H turned out to be, geographically speaking. We have countries from four different continents there: Colombia, Japan, Poland and Senegal.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah that one is super open, the matches are going to be very exciting.