2018 FIFA World Cup

• I joined too.

I think France will win but my wish is for England to reach the finals.

• I really like how Group H turned out to be, geographically speaking. We have countries from four different continents there: Colombia, Japan, Poland and Senegal.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah that one is super open, the matches are going to be very exciting.

• Also very happy that Peru's best player, Guerrero, is allowed to play. The drug case against him was absolutely insane.

• @tokeeffe9 yeah I've checked out a lot of comments from Peru and other people in some latam pages and everybody is ecstatic about Paolo being able to play, which it is nice as it is rare that everyone is so encouraging to one of the other teams from the continent, I wasn't aware of the controversy but it really was nonsense when I looked into it, and with him I think Peru has a great shot at being a dark horse, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the manage to even upset France.

And yes group H is very interesting, sadly I think Japan is at a bad moment and they won't make it through, Colombia has a very promising squad that continues to dissapoint, the Poles seem to think they are not as good as they look (and they look very good imo) and I've heard very good comments about Senegal.

We have our last home match before the WC today against Northern Ireland, I think it is a good test thinking ahead of two of our group games, and I hope we see the good side of our team.

• I'm definitely in on following the tournament with you all. I don't really have much in the way of predictions, I tend to just watch it out of love for the game. So I was hoping to just join the league and follow it without creating my own, but it looks like that's not possible. Maybe I'll try and throw a nice ignorant bracket together later today... :)

• @bard91 Ya it's very cool and personally I'm backing Peru to at least make that group interesting. Some of this please

• @tokeeffe9 That is one sexy goal.

• Oh, this is beautiful!
    "Biographies of every player in all 32 squads in Russia, including caps, goals, nicknames, hobbies and, once the tournament starts, ratings for every performance"
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/jun/05/world-cup-2018-complete-guide-players-ratings-goals-caps

Such a neatly designed and created site, check it out!

• i'm here because of Cup of Jones... i'm in!

• @sentinel-beach They've also been doing in-depth analysis of every team, expected line-ups, etc. on this page:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/world-cup-2018-guardian-experts-network

• Yes! Thanks for setting this up Sentinel Beach. So excited for this but not for my country (England), the nation expects us to get through the group, perhaps losing to Belgium on the way but Tunisia and Panama are looking good, England look stale.

Would like to get an idea where everyone's from and who they're supporting.

• @oscillator said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

Underdogs are what make the World Cup interesting for me. Iran, Iceland, Costa Rica, Serbia, Japan...let's go!!!!!

I totally forgot that Peru qualified! I even watched the stream of the celebration! Add them to the list! :D

• @robert7lee As a neighbor of theirs I can say that Panama is definitively not looking good at all, they've pretty much said that they are hoping to at least get a goal in the tournament, Tunisia on the other had is looking good, and even though this Englad doesnt look as bad your lads always seems to find a way to fuck it up.

I'm obviosuly rooting for Costa Rica, hoping we can get up to the second round and be demolished by the germans, other than that I want to see Peru do well and I think they will, and I hope at least two african teams make it out of the group stages this time they are all looking pretty good to me, with the most likely being Senegal, and to take it all I don't really know, anyone but Brazil (or Portugal but I don't think that is happening) would be fine by me, probably a toss up between France and Germany with a slight edge towards France.

• @robert7lee I'm from Ireland and basically just rooting for whoever plays the best football.

Right now, Peru are the team I want to see do well and I'm most interested in watching Brazil and Spain.

• Did anyone following the qualification for North, Central America and Carribean? How bad were USA? I see Panama clinched the final spot on goal difference and even beat Costa Rica in the final group round. Curious to see how they play.

What were your earliest World Cup memories?

• I'm French so that's who I'll be rooting for, we have a very strong squad but we tend to get arrogant when we're too confident, when we feel like we should win. So I won't be surprised if we crash and burn, but still hoping! It's a nice group that gets along well, we got rid of all the assholes we had 4-8 years ago so the team at least feels worth cheering!

Otherwise I've always had a soft spot for Sweden and Mexico, so it kinda sucks that they're in the same group, although that also means at least one of them should qualify.

In terms of predictions, I see Senegal making it out of their group alongside Colombia, I feel like Poland is going to disappoint. Portugal and Belgium will lose in the first round of knock-out stages. France-Germany in the final.

• @robert7lee said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

Did anyone following the qualification for North, Central America and Carribean? How bad were USA?

USA was painfully average. There were spurts of greatness, but this overwhelming sense of "we'll qualify cause things always work out" from everybody but Christian Pulisic. That Trinidad & Tobago game still haunts me.

I'm gonna be pulling for England and Iceland. I don't anticipate either going to far, but I gotta root for the Tottenham boys and I love an underdog story.

• @jamicov

Loved watching USA matches at the last World Cup in Brazil, some of the most entertaining end to end games I've seen. That last 16 match against Belgium had to be the greatest ever 0-0 game (90 mins). Will be missed.

Anyone catch England v Costa Rica friendly?

I know it was only a friendly and Costa Rica can play better but it was nice to see small glimpses of creativity from England. Played with a bit of freedome.

Hopefully Costa Rica will get over the jet lag and start playing.

• @robert7lee we were pretty bad yesterday (Costa Rica), particularly in the first half, though I also have to say England looked better than expected imo.

On regards to the CONCACAF qualifiers I watched all of our matches and paid attention to the rest, Mexico was the only solid team, we had some pretty good games (we were brilliant away in the US) and some horrible games (Honduras at home), Panama and Honduras were both bath tbh, neither of them play good football usually and they are both far from their prime, both were much better 4 years ago, the US was easily the worst US team I've ever seen and played with no heart, and I heard that was particularly true for the last game in Trinidad.

On regards to my first memory of World Cups it was on France 98, but it was us failing to qualify from the tournament itself, what I remember best was Croatia humiliating Germany (I was 6 so don't remember super well most of the tournament).

Also I'm not saying our guys threw the last game to Panama to have them qualify and knock out the US, but I can assure you no one here was sad about that, we have no lost love for the US when it comes to football, and we get along pretty well with our neighbors to the south.