2018 FIFA World Cup

• Germany, wtf? This feels wrong. Granted, Mexico was very good on the first half, very active, and Germany's defence was full of holes, but still. The second half looked much better, but nope, the final touches were missing. Now the Germans need to demolish Sweden and South Korea.

• Switzerland managed to make things interesting in that group with that tie of Brazil. Really pretty goals from both teams. Effective.

• Yay for Mexico, what a perfomance. Ochoa was a wall! And Lozano, this is your time to shine! He was my hero in my FIFA 17 career mode, glad to see real life has caught up.

In light of Argentina's, Germany's and Brazil's results, France's scrappy win doesn't feel so bad anymore! There's always some magic in the first matches, as the smaller teams go all out and big teams aren't perfectly calibrated yet. I would expect more "normal" results in the second and third matches, but who knows.

• lol

• Global Moderator

Now I dont think Sweden will make it out of the group play, instead Im thinking it will be Germany and Mexico making it out. So now Im hoping for Iceland to make it further in the tournament! <3

• @lotias You were too quick to judge, but I get that mentality. :) You guys won! Granqvist's penalty kick did the trick. This was essentially a must win for Sweden, as the Germany and Mexico games will be tougher. Interesting to see how everything will go.

• That Germany Sweden match on Saturday is an interesting one, Germany can't lose and even a draw might not be enough.

Belgium looked good 2nd half, that De Bruyne cross for their 2nd goal, great technique, after Russia they've been the most convincing team so far.

As England do, they just got away with it and the nation goes wild. Poor 2nd half, Tunisia kept giving the ball away too easily, apart from the penalty couldn't trouble Pickford. Think Belgium will have a field day against them.

• A kind of a surprise from Japan, cool! And what a start for the game, the first red card of the tournament and an immediate goal. Now Group H will be really interesting after this result.

• Group H was already a super interesting group so that result really adds to it. Really looking forward to Poland Senegal later now

• Glorious Nippon coming out of nowhere with the win as well as Senegal make things very interesting indeed, dissapointed of seeing Egypt's result I was really hoping we would get to see more from them.

• Wow, I think a lot of the international media must be pretty surprised with Russia. I doubt anyone was expecting them to get two wins in this tournament.

• Some awesome results from Group H, Colombia Poland is already going to be a do or die match!

I expected Russia to go through, but not that convincingly, that's awesome!

• Spain are showing there weaknesses to early, i don't see them making it past the first knockout stage.

• Great game from Croatia, they move forward now with these two wins. Argentina, on the other hand, is in big trouble. They're not out yet, no, but their fate isn't in their own hands anymore in the final round. Messi was (kept) completely in the dark, and the others had no answers for Croatia's style either.

• Argentina unsurprisingly continue to be a complete mess. They actually need such a huge change in terms of structure and mentality. It's actually crazy how bad they are for how many good players they have.

• @a7x458 Spain would be going against Russia or an underperforming Uruguay, and they aren't looking bad, I think they would still be big favorites in either of those match ups.

I always root against Argentina, but I'm truly hurt for Messi, the best in the world deserves better than this.

• Argentina's defense was an absolute shambles. Instead of tightening up after that mistake they fell further apart. That 3rd goal especially should never have happened.

Given how aggressive Croatia were throughout the entire match, I'm not at all surprised at the outcome. I'm just glad I have them in the sweepstakes at work! :P

• Ugh, these games are pretty awful for me to try and catch in my timezone, turns out. I did watch Argentina-Croatia though finally, boy that seemed pretty brutal. Never too excited when things get ugly.

• Peru deserved better, I feel like in any other group they would have qualified. Very happy with the result obviously, France was much more in control than against Australia, they're clearly gearing up, our defence is extremely solid, Pogba and Kante are very effective, I'm just waiting for Griezmann to become a bit more deadly.

Croatia is pretty scary so I sure hope we won't face them in the round of 16, go Iceland!

• Not getting many free scoring matches so far, teams who score first seem to defend and hold their lead rather than killing the game off. Ronaldo for example scored early for Portugal and they just saw the game out. France pretty much did the same against Peru and Uruguay against Saudi Arabia.

Modric goal though went against that mentality, what a strike! Really Impressed with Croatia, restricted Argentina to few chances. They're going to be difficult to get past. I'm ashamed I ever doubted them.

Feel sorry for Morroco, they've played some great football, should have scored a couple against Iran in the first 30 mins and if they had a better attacking force could have beaten Portugal

Peru another unlucky side, South American sides in general have t performed at this World Cup so far. Only Uruguay have won. Interesting to see how Brazil get on today.

I suspect a lot of eyes will be on Iceland v Nigeria. Determine where Argentina stand, hope Iceland can make it.

@axel said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

Peru deserved better, I feel like in any other group they would have qualified. Very happy with the result obviously, France was much more in control than against Australia, they're clearly gearing up, our defence is extremely solid, Pogba and Kante are very effective, I'm just waiting for Griezmann to become a bit more deadly.

Croatia is pretty scary so I sure hope we won't face them in the round of 16, go Iceland!

France look like group winners, so wouldn't you rather get Argentina over Iceland on current form?