2018 FIFA World Cup

• Sweden really threw away this one, they could have done much better in the final minutes to secure the draw, I'm kinda mad at them. Big kudos to Germany though, this is why I was selfishly hoping they'd get kicked out. They're so freaking unkillable, they're gonna be extremely dangerous for the rest of the tournament now.

• @axel said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

Sweden really threw away this one, they could have done much better in the final minutes to secure the draw, I'm kinda mad at them. Big kudos to Germany though, this is why I was selfishly hoping they'd get kicked out. They're so freaking unkillable, they're gonna be extremely dangerous for the rest of the tournament now.

Really thought Swden would take control of the match after Boateng saw red. But they kept giving away free kicks and just tried to hold what they had.

This group is exciting now, all three sides could potentially finish on 6 points and I believe Mexico can still be eliminated if they lose to Sweden. Can't wait for the finale.

• Half time already, this England match is pretty crazy.

• Will we see 10-0? Not impossible.

• Okay... my fears for Panama were fair :)

Been missing from here but I really enjoyed the Swiss vs Serbia game and Germany Sweden match. Just really entertaining games

• This was sadly not unexpected but I'm glad to see the high spirits in the Panamanian crowd, they know what they went to WC for, and they fought hard for a long time to get there so despite everything I'm glad they got the chance and that they are taking the loss like champs.

• Yep, I'm glad they at least scored that one goal, it really made their crowd cheer. A feel-good moment.

• Well done Poland, you are without a doubt the disappointment of the tournament!!!

• Group A is clear.

Uruguay 9
    Russia 6
    Saudi Arabia 3
    Egypt 0

Interesting to see in a couple of hours if Iran can create a surprise. Likely it'll be Spain and Portugal who'll advance, though.

• Go Japans!

• Oh my word. Went into the work kitchen there at the 88th minute of the Iran vs Portugal match and those last 10 minutes or so were amazing.

Also, there is no way I'd have given that penalty but it sure made for an exciting finish

• Yep, some last minute drama there. Which actually affected the final standings in the Group B.

Spain 5
    Portugal 5
    Iran 4
    Morocco 1

Spain was B1 because they had scored one goal more than Portugal, it came down to that. Otherwise their stats were similar.
    This means our first pairs on the next round will be Uruguay - Portugal and Spain - Russia. That first one sounds exciting.

• That Iran penalty feels very dubious, so Portugal technically should have topped the group, but all in all the end results seem fair.

I don't see Portugal making it past Uruguay without a magical Ronaldo, they've been pretty average so far.

Spain should dispatch Russia but they've been quite shake defensively so an early Russian goal could give us a tense match.

• Nice to see Peru get some rewards today. It's a real pity they didn't get any luck in the previous fixtures. I feel like they should be going through.

• Damn that was embarrassing for France. I was hoping to see the new players show some hunger and passion but they did absolutely nothing. First 0-0 of the tournament, sorry about that!

• @tokeeffe9 Yeah they looked much better than third-best in this group. As much as the media is saying they went out with their heads held high, they obviously expected more from themselves and absolutely deserved it. It would have been neat to see Australia turn the group on its head but I can't say anybody really expected that.

Meanwhile Argentina is still not technically out after two games despite looking atrocious. The next two games should be as exciting as the late games yesterday. It'll be really interesting to see how Iceland approaches a must-win game against Croatia. Having no horse in the race is a great place to be with this kind of day - though I will likely be cheering for somebody by the 80th minute.

Should be another great finish to another tight group!!

• Group C

France 7
    Denmark 5
    Peru 3
    Australia 1

Man, was that 0-0 boring or what. Yet, it was not unexpected of the two. The audience booed as they should, I would've hated to pay for a ticket and travel there for that. Peru was unlucky in the first two games, two near losses. But that's how it goes.

Group D has now potential to give two great games. What is the fate of Argentina? Less than half an hour and we'll start to see.

• Droup D

Croatia 9
    Argentina 4
    Nigeria 3
    Iceland 1

Damn, that was a close one for Nigeria. But Argentina did what it had to.
    Next round we'll get France - Argentina and Croatia - Denmark. The first one sounds much more interesting, to be honest.

• Really not sure how much more of these I can take. That was a pretty insane finish to both games.

• Croatia should easily take care of Denmark, unless they park the bus again and take it all the way to a penalty shoot-out.

France - Argentina is scary, this team came back from hell and has nothing to lose now. Plus they're carried by a Messi who seems to have finally found his form. Whereas France has as usual been complacent. I guess at least we're not tired...

We'll see how it goes but this smells like a trap! If we can't beat this Argentina team, we've got no business in the quarter-finals anyway.