2018 FIFA World Cup

• England is potentially playing their toughest match on the road to the final on Tuesday. Colombia is a very strong team and if they manage to get past them, they'll be considered as real contenders.

I'm also hoping Mexico pulls off an upset!

• I see it now, England vs France at the finals, make it happen damn it!

• @bam541 It would be a fun final... but only if France wins :D

• We (Belgium) fucked ourselves by winning against England. The difference in quality between the two brackets is huge.

• Global Moderator

So my boss decided to plan in a massive meeting tomorrow when the Sweden game starts, can I somehow convince him to put it at lunch instead?

• yyyyy FUERA!!!! yyyy FUERA!!!! yyy FUERA!!!! enjoy the trip back home Mexico

sorry I just enjoy Mexico losing as a Central American little to much

@lotias aren't you in Sweden??? that would be outright unthinkable here, we pretty much stopped working completely while we were playing

Also please make England-France final happen, I can only imagine how that will be an eternal point of bragging for whoever wins

And man just looking at the bracket I think the four remaining contenders are in the same side, and on the other side, we have six teams that we wouldn't have expected to even reach the semis, and now we have one that will for sure be in the final, simply crazy

• Global Moderator

@bard91 Unfortunately, I am UK based since a few years back. On the good side, that gives me a chance to grin when Sweden beats England later on in the tournament :3

• Well shit. Now I don't care who wins.

• Shattered. Japan looked collected again after Belgium tied it but oh what a way to go out. Still not sure why Shibasaki was subbed off, he was a stud on both sides today.

Have to give respect where it's due, Belgium show a lot of character with a comeback win on a day neither Lukaku nor Hazard had the finish. They were my favourite before but it's tough to see them going down now after a game like that.

• Oh man, Japan. So close. Almost. But yeah, that showed what Belgium can do even in that kind of situation. Hopefully they'll beat Brazil next. Neymar's a good player, but holy shit, his acting and faking is infuriating to watch. Rolling around on the ground like somebody just shot his leg off and killed the dog, too. Fuck you, man. Honestly.

• Top 10 anime tragedies.

Colossal performance by Japan in the end, from what I had heard they had very low expectations for the tournament and even if heartbroken they can leave very proud with a great showing.

• @sentinel-beach did you see that Cantona video? Made my day.

• Great subs by Martinez in the Belgium match. Surprised how many problems Japan caused and going for it at the end with a corner. Brave stuff but really poor corner cost them.

We've been blessed with some amazing goals in the last 16; Di Maria, Pavard, that Cavani 2nd goal. Just brilliant stuff so far. I assume it'll get a lot more cagey in the quarter finals.

Can't believe how some of the English press and media perceive Colombia. They see England as favourites and I don't understand where that's coming from. 6-1 over Panama was a little flattering, there was no real tempo, passing, pace from England. Some people haven't learned to manage their expectations. cough Iceland cough . I'd say Colombia look much more comfortable on the ball, better moving and passing than England's. We'll see.

Switzerland v Sweden simply have no clue who could win this. Switzerland look really difficult to beat.

Can we get a Sweden v Brazil final I wonder, repeat of the only time a South American side has won the WC in Eirope.

• I'm absolutely gutted for Japan, they had it! But unlike some other teams, they don't play dirty / waste time and it cost them. But congrats to Belgium, they also played fair and were simply the stronger team in the end.

I really hope they'll beat Brazil next because as @Sentinel-Beach said, Neymar is pathetic and I'd love to see him get kicked out. Total disgrace.

@robert7lee Does the English press really see them as favourites against Colombia? That's delusional, Colombia has been a lot more impressive so far, and not just in this tournament. They're easily the second-best South American team behind Brazil. England can definitely beat them, for me it's a 50-50 and a huge test for them.

I hope Sweden pulls it off tonight so I can have on team to cheer for on both sides of the bracket! Heja Sverige!

• @axel Well.. I wouldn't go that far. The previous game for Japan caused a lot of controversy as they literally just passed the ball around with no intention of attacking at all. From what I heard, the coach even apologised about it.

That said, you're right. It's pretty gutting way to lose but it was an amazing match. This world cup just keeps on giving really.

• @axel said in 2018 FIFA World Cup:

I'm absolutely gutted for Japan, they had it! But unlike some other teams, they don't play dirty / waste time and it cost them. But congrats to Belgium, they also played fair and were simply the stronger team in the end.

I really hope they'll beat Brazil next because as @Sentinel-Beach said, Neymar is pathetic and I'd love to see him get kicked out. Total disgrace.

@robert7lee Does the English press really see them as favourites against Colombia? That's delusional, Colombia has been a lot more impressive so far, and not just in this tournament. They're easily the second-best South American team behind Brazil. England can definitely beat them, for me it's a 50-50 and a huge test for them.

I hope Sweden pulls it off tonight so I can have on team to cheer for on both sides of the bracket! Heja Sverige!

English bookmakers are making England favourites and mostly football pundits saying they think England should win this one. Apparently James Rodriguez might not play but even without him I think they look a threat. They chance for them to make the final.

• @robert7lee I think that the Colombia England match up looks pretty even tbh, if Colombia wins it I do think they have a good shot at the semis, and I would say the same of England, but them being England I'm sure they would fuck it up somehow.

Sweden Switzerland looks so unexciting in paper, as one commentator said, prepare for the second 0-0 game of the world cup, hope we are wrong though and I hope Sweden pulls through.

• Good job Sweden. In the top 8. Unlike in ice-hockey, I think I'm actually rooting a bit for our neighbours now. :]

Still, though, there are Croatia and possibly England on that side that I'd rather see all the way in the final. But we'll see what happens.

• Global Moderator

So happy that Sweden made it! I had to have the game on kinda sneakily as I was in meeting 2/3 of the game. Now we will have to see tonight if we are gonna play Colombia or England. I kinda hope for England :D

• alt text