Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.

• Hello everyone!

It's that time of year! E3! So I felt it would be a good idea to open up threads about each of the presentations. Now, instead of doing it the day of or the night prior, I thought it would be alright to establish them a week ahead of time so everyone can get in predictions, news, and other topics leading up to the conference and come back here to post their reactions, opinions and analysis once the show is over.

This is the Xbox thread, so please try to keep it focused on just their show. Will new IP debut, or will the reliance on the ole standbys of Gears, Halo, and Forza, carry the conference again? Will backwards compatibility get a major update? Can Microsoft make the Xbox One an appealing platform this late in the cycle?

Happy E3 everybody!

• I want to make a wild guess that Microsoft will have a surprise first party game announcement. It's not expected of them, but they do have many dormant IPs they could revive. (or even canceled projects, like Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Fable). That "out of left field" game factor isn't something I usually associate with MS conferences (that's usually more a Nintendo conference thing), but for some reason I have that intuition this year.

I'd be extremely pleased with a return of Perfect Dark!

• Microsoft announces and cancels a new IP in during the conference.

• There's probably a lot of cool indie stuff again like Super Lucky's Tale or The Artful Escape. Microsoft will probably also steal some third-party games from other conferences like they did Assassin's Creed and Anthem last year for more Xbox One X showboating.

As for first party titles, i suspect a Halo 6 tease.

• @chocobop I highly doubt they'll ever revive Scalebound. The only reason people were interested in it in the first place was because it was being developed by Platinum. With that off the table, nobody cares.

Microsoft needs to have an absolutely balls out E3 this year or they risk becoming irrelevant in the console gaming space. Cancelled games, delayed games, glitchy games... they just can't catch a break lately.
    Halo, Gear, Forza Horizon, and Perfect Dark (Or any other IP revival or even a completely new IP) honestly needs to be the minimum for this conference.

• I kinda wish they totally suck (in which I mean have no exclusive Lost Odyssey caliber JRPG in the pipeline nor anything exclusive by Platinum) because the last thing I want is to have to rebuy a XB1 tbh. Though, I guess I could always borrow my brother's...

• Today's predictions are for Microsoft, so from LEAST to MOST confident:

5.) Avatars will be reintroduced and WAY too much time will be spent on it.
    4.) Crackdown 3 will NOT be at the show
    3.) Kingdom Hearts III will have an onstage demo
    2.) Below makes a return, and will be release two weeks after the conference
    1.) The next Halo will close the briefing.

• Jones’ E3 nightmare will not come true; Microsoft will not unveil a new major IP from a first-party studio or through a contracted external studio. (Next year, maybe)

• New Forza and Gears of War titles will be unveiled; Forza Horizon 4 will be set in the UK and release this September, while the new Gears title will be something other than the 5th mainline entry. (More Gears than I expected made this a wash, and Forza will just hit October instead)

• Backwards Compatibility will only be mentioned alongside footage of X1X enhanced titles during a rundown of platform features; library additions will be announced the following day during Inside Xbox. (Nope)

• Crackdown 3 will make only its third (2014, 2017) and final E3 with a launch trailer and a release date set for July. A Nintendo Treehouse-esque gameplay demo will follow the next day during Inside Xbox.
      (Delayed to February 2019 - campaign footage shown off)

• Mouse and Keyboard support will be announced for Xbox and feature a montage of applicable games leading into the debut gameplay trailer of Age of Empires IV – set to release on Xbox alongside PC. Speaking of hardware support, the Elite Controller will see a revision announced. (Both of these have to happen, just not ready yet)

• Below, Ashen, and The Last Night will all be given release dates; other ID@Xbox games will be shown off including 2 new ones that will make an impression. (No, and no eye-popping new indies)

• Cuphead sees an expansion planned to release in Spring 2019. (Might end up being summer or autumn)

• Third Party games a plenty including: Cyberpunk 2077, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro Exodus, Battlefield V, Anthem, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and the new Splinter Cell. (Obviously no Splinter Cell yet, and the other two misses got extensive showings in their conferences)

• Japanese games will be present like Code Vein with some surprises including: NieR: Automata, Dragon Quest XI, and Shadows Die Twice. (2/4)

• Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be shown. (Minecraft was a surprise omission)

• A commitment to the future of Xbox gaming, with the announcement of a new studio. (I wanted to say additional studios would be announced too but this was pretty spot-on)

• Conference ends with a new Battletoads being announced - not related to the new studio. (I'll take it)

(Overall, pretty happy with the hit-rate of these predictions)

• I honestly just want a reason to play games on my Xbox One again. The first party lineup for the past few years hasn’t interested me at all. A new Fable, Halo re-inventing itself or some new exciting IPs would be good to see but I’m not getting my hopes up.

• I'm not really an Xbox guy, but at this point I'm really interested to see if Crackdown 3 will finally arrive and how it looks after all this time. Other than that, I'd be fine with some new invention that benefits the whole industry in the long run.

• Phil Spencer has mentioned the show is scheduled to be around 100 minutes, and will feature 15 World Premiers.

For those wondering, there were 7 World Premiers present last year: Forza Motorsport 7, Assassin's Creed Origins (Announcement Trailer & Gameplay), Dragonball FighterZ, Super Lucky's Tale, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and Anthem (Gameplay).

While there are lots of rumors flying about what these games could be, few are definitive outside of Forza Horizon 4. Considering the magnitude of the premiers from last year and their separation from the smaller indie announcements, we should expect all 15 to be fairly large scale titles

Should be a fun display of some known third party titles, exciting new multiplats, and first-party games.

• @miserableperson Very excited for this. For me, Microsoft's E3 conference's are very consistent in quality and always entertaining enough. All i'm hoping is that they cut out the stupid "console exclusive" or "console launch exclusive" and stuff like that that shows up at the start of every trailer last year.

• @bam541 Yea, it should be a fun show if it's handled like last year's. I gotta be honest though, I don't really find issue with what they did when it comes to announcing exclusivity. However, I certainly could do without them saying the actual word "exclusive" out loud each time - just let the screen say it.

You have a company who, rightfully to an extent, is lambasted for their lack of "exclusive" games. So they come out and want to show you what sort of "exclusive" games they do have. In terms of messaging, stuff like "Windows 10 and Console Exclusive" or "Console Launch Exclusive" are as transparent as you can be - and should be appreciated by the consumer. Because they don't have to include that language, and didn't when they ended up locking down timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider. That backfired, and people were upset because most everyone knew it was coming to the PS4 down the line.

On the other hand you have a situation like No Man's Sky, which was never really mentioned - but treated as a locked down exlclusive by Sony. Had the game not met such an intense backlash and my finances were a little better upon release, I likely would've bought a PS4 to play it. Now two years later, its coming to Xbox - and I would've been left with a PS4 I'd probably only use for No Man's Sky and MLB The Show. I would've liked to know for sure if it had some sort of timed exclusivity.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it though since they were given such a hard time for being transparent. They're damned if they announce "exclusives", or they're damned if they don't because "why do I need an Xbox?" Anyways, I think Xbox is mostly treading water for the remainder of this generation. It feels safe to assume their increased investment and big guns have the Nextbox in mind, and not the One. So it'll be potentially revealing as to what first-party announcements they do have planned for the show, with the next generation coming on pretty quickly now.

• @miserableperson Good point, it's certainly an form of effort from Microsoft to be more consumer-friendly so i can understand that. It's just a bit annoying for me to see and hear the same phrases in every trailer.
    I doubt they will show any new first party IP for Xbox One so i guess we'll be seeing Halo or Gears again.

• @bam541 I certainly understand that, and in a press conference format where its just trailer after trailer it can be a lot to take in. I posted my expectations already, but I agree that we won't see any new first-party IP. Outside of Forza, new spin-offs within Gears or Halo are among the most likely scenarios for their unannounced games. I have hopes for a new Crimson Skies, Banjo, or Battletoads; though I think anything in the vein of a revived IP will be pushed to the next generation. We'll find out shortly though, by this time tomorrow I think we'll be able to plot out their future pretty well and will break it down.

• @miserableperson said in Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.:

Phil Spencer has mentioned the show is scheduled to be around 100 minutes, and will feature 15 World Premiers.

For those wondering, there were 7 World Premiers present last year: Forza Motorsport 7, Assassin's Creed Origins (Announcement Trailer & Gameplay), Dragonball FighterZ, Super Lucky's Tale, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and Anthem (Gameplay).

While there are lots of rumors flying about what these games could be, few are definitive outside of Forza Horizon 4. Considering the magnitude of the premiers from last year and their separation from the smaller indie announcements, we should expect all 15 to be fairly large scale titles

Should be a fun display of some known third party titles, exciting new multiplats, and first-party games.

They definitely have the most exciting show going in just because we have no idea what to expect. It might not end up being the best of E3, but it’s hard not to be hyped!

• It was alright, the few games that interested me are all coming to PS4 too though.
    The DMC 5 reveal was bad though, not saying the game will be bad but the trailer imo sucked.
    Also no REmake 2 trailer yet.

• Very very good presser, one of the best ever by any publisher. Horizon 4 giving me heavy Burnout Paradise vibes, definitely looking to pick up.

Really excited by the Ninja Theory pick-up. I'm expecting huge things from their next game now.

• I haven't heard the best things about Life is Strange (and if I recall I saw a lets play of it once that looked really, really bad) but the Captain Spirit trailer really caught my eye. Other than that the only real highlights for me were DMC5 and Session.