Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.

• I'm not really an Xbox guy, but at this point I'm really interested to see if Crackdown 3 will finally arrive and how it looks after all this time. Other than that, I'd be fine with some new invention that benefits the whole industry in the long run.

• Phil Spencer has mentioned the show is scheduled to be around 100 minutes, and will feature 15 World Premiers.

For those wondering, there were 7 World Premiers present last year: Forza Motorsport 7, Assassin's Creed Origins (Announcement Trailer & Gameplay), Dragonball FighterZ, Super Lucky's Tale, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and Anthem (Gameplay).

While there are lots of rumors flying about what these games could be, few are definitive outside of Forza Horizon 4. Considering the magnitude of the premiers from last year and their separation from the smaller indie announcements, we should expect all 15 to be fairly large scale titles

Should be a fun display of some known third party titles, exciting new multiplats, and first-party games.

• @miserableperson Very excited for this. For me, Microsoft's E3 conference's are very consistent in quality and always entertaining enough. All i'm hoping is that they cut out the stupid "console exclusive" or "console launch exclusive" and stuff like that that shows up at the start of every trailer last year.

• @bam541 Yea, it should be a fun show if it's handled like last year's. I gotta be honest though, I don't really find issue with what they did when it comes to announcing exclusivity. However, I certainly could do without them saying the actual word "exclusive" out loud each time - just let the screen say it.

You have a company who, rightfully to an extent, is lambasted for their lack of "exclusive" games. So they come out and want to show you what sort of "exclusive" games they do have. In terms of messaging, stuff like "Windows 10 and Console Exclusive" or "Console Launch Exclusive" are as transparent as you can be - and should be appreciated by the consumer. Because they don't have to include that language, and didn't when they ended up locking down timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider. That backfired, and people were upset because most everyone knew it was coming to the PS4 down the line.

On the other hand you have a situation like No Man's Sky, which was never really mentioned - but treated as a locked down exlclusive by Sony. Had the game not met such an intense backlash and my finances were a little better upon release, I likely would've bought a PS4 to play it. Now two years later, its coming to Xbox - and I would've been left with a PS4 I'd probably only use for No Man's Sky and MLB The Show. I would've liked to know for sure if it had some sort of timed exclusivity.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it though since they were given such a hard time for being transparent. They're damned if they announce "exclusives", or they're damned if they don't because "why do I need an Xbox?" Anyways, I think Xbox is mostly treading water for the remainder of this generation. It feels safe to assume their increased investment and big guns have the Nextbox in mind, and not the One. So it'll be potentially revealing as to what first-party announcements they do have planned for the show, with the next generation coming on pretty quickly now.

• @miserableperson Good point, it's certainly an form of effort from Microsoft to be more consumer-friendly so i can understand that. It's just a bit annoying for me to see and hear the same phrases in every trailer.
    I doubt they will show any new first party IP for Xbox One so i guess we'll be seeing Halo or Gears again.

• @bam541 I certainly understand that, and in a press conference format where its just trailer after trailer it can be a lot to take in. I posted my expectations already, but I agree that we won't see any new first-party IP. Outside of Forza, new spin-offs within Gears or Halo are among the most likely scenarios for their unannounced games. I have hopes for a new Crimson Skies, Banjo, or Battletoads; though I think anything in the vein of a revived IP will be pushed to the next generation. We'll find out shortly though, by this time tomorrow I think we'll be able to plot out their future pretty well and will break it down.

• @miserableperson said in Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.:

Phil Spencer has mentioned the show is scheduled to be around 100 minutes, and will feature 15 World Premiers.

For those wondering, there were 7 World Premiers present last year: Forza Motorsport 7, Assassin's Creed Origins (Announcement Trailer & Gameplay), Dragonball FighterZ, Super Lucky's Tale, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and Anthem (Gameplay).

While there are lots of rumors flying about what these games could be, few are definitive outside of Forza Horizon 4. Considering the magnitude of the premiers from last year and their separation from the smaller indie announcements, we should expect all 15 to be fairly large scale titles

Should be a fun display of some known third party titles, exciting new multiplats, and first-party games.

They definitely have the most exciting show going in just because we have no idea what to expect. It might not end up being the best of E3, but it’s hard not to be hyped!

• It was alright, the few games that interested me are all coming to PS4 too though.
    The DMC 5 reveal was bad though, not saying the game will be bad but the trailer imo sucked.
    Also no REmake 2 trailer yet.

• Very very good presser, one of the best ever by any publisher. Horizon 4 giving me heavy Burnout Paradise vibes, definitely looking to pick up.

Really excited by the Ninja Theory pick-up. I'm expecting huge things from their next game now.

• I haven't heard the best things about Life is Strange (and if I recall I saw a lets play of it once that looked really, really bad) but the Captain Spirit trailer really caught my eye. Other than that the only real highlights for me were DMC5 and Session.

• @musou-tensei said in Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.:

It was alright, the few games that interested me are all coming to PS4 too though.
    The DMC 5 reveal was bad though, not saying the game will be bad but the trailer imo sucked.
    Also no REmake 2 trailer yet.

That's pretty much my take away. Nice showing but all it really did was make me more interested in the PS4.
    I didn't hate the DMC 5 trailer, but Nero was insufferable.

• Good showing with a good mix of games, main take away is still 0 reasons to care about xbox.

Also I'm not thrilled about seeing Ninja Theory under MS, like sure they say they are interested in revamping their first party line up and that's all well and good, but I can't forget how many studios they've closed before so I'm hoping they won't find a similar fate.

• Huge conference, really packed! Obviously a lot of these games are also on PS4, but in terms of sheer quantity this has got to be one of the biggest E3 conferences ever.

Excellent pacing too, barely had time to process all those reveals, and the talking sections never dragged on for to long or felt pointless. I'd argue it'll be hard for Sony's conference to top that, even though their exclusives will hopefully kick ass.

• Before getting into it: This was Microsoft's BEST conference of all time, and potentially top three overall. My reasons:

Halo Infinite, while a nice announcement, lacked gameplay. But stoked for reveal.

I was hesitant about the 50 games promise, but sure enough, they hit 51.

I love Ori, so the Will of the Wisps trailer was going to be a guarantee for me. However, what stands out is it showed significant gameplay. Still have to wait but WOW.

Ah yes. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. It was here that I started to recognize Xbox was going pedal to the metal for an hour and half. The first of many announcements that isn't for me, I REALLY appreciate they showed gameplay, and a fair bit of it. SOLID showing.

Todd Howard coming onstage to announce Fallout 4 coming to GamePass was clearly a setup to 76, but the trailer and the info drop was jawdropping. FOUR TIMES THE SIZE OF 4!? I'm a little confused why the didn't hold for their own show later tonight but Xbox benefited BIG time for having it.

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit was one of the very few that I didn't care for, but because this is the Life is Strange team, this is a big announcement. Also the fact it'll be free also is a big point.

Crackdown 3's trailer was nothing but gameplay and entertaining narration from Terry Crews. And that's great and all, but honestly, this game should go dark until the end of the year to start the marketing for release. It's been too long.

Nier: Automata coming to Xbox, while spoiled earlier, is an interesting get. I'm curious just how much a splash it'll make after already having a year plus on the PS4.

I COMPLETELY vibed with Metro: Exodus and I'm happy we got to see environments and weapon customization. This is a recent franchise "discovery" for me, so I'm excited to get it. But it now is the THIRD GAME to announce a Feb 22 release alongside Anthem and Days Gone. My bank account hurts.

Kingdom Hearts III. On the Xbox stage. While the Frozen bit wasn't for me, that trailer was amazing. STILL don't believe the release date.

Sea of Thieves did a good job hyping up coming content and both coming this year.

Battlefield V continues to undershow. I'm fascinated as to why, but I guess we'll never know.

Forza Horizon 4 demoed spectacularly. I'm not into racing games, but that was the best racing game demo I've seen. IF the world wasn't completely populated by others, today's demo sold itself HARD for me.

Phil Spencer announcing FIVE new 1st party studios was an absolutely necessary and awesome segment. In the moment, the BOMB of announcing Ninja Theory was, to that point, THE shock of the show.... Well, until later. But I'll get there. Anyway, that, and the segue into the We Happy Few trailer recaptured my interest into the game. I can't glow enough about this portion.

Probably the second "low point" (the first being Battlefield), a new PUBG map and mode makes sense being the most recent hotness. But still for those who care, this is a big deal.

Tales of Vesperia was WAY out of left field. Was NOT expecting this, or anything like it, at ALL. An announcement that only has jolly vibes from what I can see.

Love the Division 2's premise and the gameplay demo was wonderful to watch, but I played the beta of the first and was underwhelmed. If I have several very specific questions answered, this MIGHT get on my radar. Regardless, this showed well.

The most obvious low spot, and I'll posit the lowest, was the GamePass focused portion. I understand the necessity of highlighting the service, but it just fell flat in relation to the rest of the show.

And there's the montage trailer of 22 games to hit that 50 quota. The montage was expected, but there were a lot of interesting stuff I wish I could learn about as opposed seeing five seconds of it. Still, there's a lot of good looking games in there.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider's in game trailer was necessary, as the CG we've gotten so far, but at least we saw gameplay. Still don't like the "Become the Tomb Raider" tag.

I love how Session was immediately SKATE 4 being screamed until the title reveal. This announcement did nothing for me, but I hope it could do a lot of good in a dead franchise.

The Black Desert Online trailer was perhaps the most perplexing for me because I thought the game was out already. But nay, there will be a beta in the Fall. Still, it looks like another fantasy MMO and I'm sure it'll be a fine game.

Devil May Cry 5 is a massive announcement and Xbox continued to build off the momentum of having all kinds of top tier third party announcements. I also really loved the director coming onstage to share in his joy.

I don't think anyone predicted Cuphead DLC, but that trailer was another wonderful surprise. A little quick, but at this point, understandable, because this show was PACKED. And there was STILL more to come.

Tunic looks adorable, but the gameplay style isn't for me. I hope it does really well when it comes out.

I LOVE how Phil Spencer came out at this point to say hey, everything left, no one has ever seen (sans a steam ad....). And what better way to kick it off in what was the loudest pop of the conference: Jump Force. I mean a cross between One Piece, DragonBall, Naruto, AND Death Note. That game is going to do HUGE when it comes out.

Really loved the Dying Light 2 portion. Especially the insistence on how choices matter. This could be a sleeper GOTY contender. Not winner, but I see making a lot of positive impressions.

Battletoads. What? And I say that with a chuckle and a smile. I mean, more power to ya, but bringing it back is.... weird.

Just Cause 4 looks like more Just Cause, but I appreciate that it doesn't try to be anything that it's not. Good on ya Just Cause.

Now to the Gears portion. Seeing the Gears Pop announcement was a "NO!!!" moment for me, but in retrospect, a smart structure to make it the first of three. Gears Tactics being on PC is a little irksome, as an XCOM style game has only ever appealed to me if they had that style in the Gears universe. Bring it to Xbox, and I'll consider it. But of course they saved the best Gears for last and Gears 5 looks PHENOMENAL. I LOVE the story premise they teased and some gameplay additions look intriguing. Gimmie.

And of course, I absolutely ADORED Cyberpunk's fake out glitching. With the hidden teases of Witcher III codes and other secrets. That trailer coming AFTER Spencer publicly acknowledging the next Xbox is in development?

While it may read more negative than it is, please make no mistake. Microsoft came out swinging and connected in a LOT of areas. Despite several games not appealing to me, they matter to others and there was a LOT of massive names on stage, both anticipated and out of nowhere. Kudos to Microsoft. They crushed it, and I can't believe it. 9.5/10

• Thank you Microsoft for having such an enjoyable press conference! Many times i screamed out of joy, and thus i have potentially disturbed my neighbors, but i don't care about that. Such a tight show, low on fillers and high on surprises. 9/10 for sure!

Who said E3 starts yesterday? E3 starts, RIGHT NOW! HYPE!

• I keep singing "West Virginia" to myself here. In the middle of the Nordic nightless night, 2 AM.

• @chocobop said in Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.:

I want to make a wild guess that Microsoft will have a surprise first party game announcement. It's not expected of them, but they do have many dormant IPs they could revive.

Battletoads baby!

• @sentinel-beach I've never been in and have zero interest of ever going to West Virginia, but I can easily see myself singing that song with heartfelt emotion right now.

• @MiserablePerson you got your wish, new Battletoads!

• Microsoft had the best conference for Playstation they've ever had.