Microsoft E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.

• @dipset It was definitely an amazing conference, but it still doesn't give people who don't like Halo, Gears, or Forza a reason to buy an Xbox. It was almost entirely games I'll be playing on my PS4 and PC.

• @el-shmiablo

Well, yeah... I don't think MS will ever convince me to buy one of their systems because all they seem to have is Gears, Halo, and Forza but knowing if I ever did want to play one of those games on my PC is pretty sweet. I just loved the back to back to back game trailers.

But yeah... its all gonna be played on my PS4. They basically helped sell PS4 copies.

• Uuh, I'm loving Kyle's 7.5 reasoning and debate with the others. "What do you get to play this year? You're happy you saw a bunch of trailers there first?"

• @sentinel-beach I would much rather go quickly between exciting announcements than struggle through pointless talking. I HARD disagree with Mr. Bosman.

• This post is deleted!

• The Ninja Theory pick up is huge. Some insider tips, Microsoft's Fiscal Year starts in June, so there very well could be some big acquisitions that they held back for the next fiscal year.

Microsoft is the best press conference so far, I did not enjoy Sony's conference very much.

• Very satisfying conference and glad they hit upon a lot of my expectations.

I figured they would touch on expanding their first-party studios, and among the acquisitions: Undead Labs and Playground Games felt like natural fits. Ninja Theory and Compulsion Games were a little more unexpected but I think both have a promising future with Microsoft fully supporting them. Lastly, when it was announced Darrell Gallagher was joining in April – it seemed pretty clear a new large-scale studio was being built. I have no idea what exactly they’ll be working on but I’m inclined to believe it will be a new IP rather than a property Microsoft already owns. It will be a little while until we see new projects from these teams, but I expect Ninja Theory will be the first one to reveal what they’re working on – maybe at E3 2019.

Battletoads – There’s been a lot of activity surrounding them the past few years. Whether Phil has teased them on his shirts and twitter avatar or their appearances in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct – it felt like it was about time for a revival. It’s being made by a relatively unproven team (Dlala Studios) which leaves a little room for concern, but I trust there’s a reason they were handed the IP. I really just wanted to see an image – one screenshot so we could get a full grasp of the art style. The short section of the motorbike hitting the wall looked promising, but just wasn’t enough to really go on. The Hand-drawn 2.5d graphics clearly won’t resemble Ori or Tropical Freeze – but an almost comic-book style for a beat ‘em up could be perfect. One last thing, weeks ago David Wise’s website had a Battletoads project listed among his current projects, so it seems he’ll be doing the soundtrack.
    alt text

Crackdown 3 – Looks fun and if it wasn’t ready to release by the end of August, it was better off shifting to spring. Its kind of baffling to me that people think the cloud-powered destruction should be in single-player when it would destroy any ability to have a campaign; it is designed for multiplayer sandbox fun. A shame this has taken so long, but I’m excited to see the final product.

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (THE DLC, get it?) – I actually finally finished Cuphead a couple of weeks ago, and I want some more. Ms. Chalice’s double-jump ability, and another whole Isle filled with what I assume will be food related bosses sounds like a nice dessert before Studio MDHR cooks up their next big meal.

Cyberpunk 2077 – Atmosphere was even better than expected, though I was surprised their big first trailer took place in so much daylight – especially in a place called Night City. When Phil mentioned he met with developers in Poland, it felt like this was a lock to make it in, and its reveal via hacking was perfection.

Fallout 76 – I loved 3, and 4 was what finally made me jump into the new generation. West Virginia is a great setting, and the online mechanics seem pretty fun. Most of the enjoyment I get out of Fallout is through exploring, and it seems were going to have a lot of room to do just that.

Forza Horizon 4 – I tend to avoid racing titles, but this looks too good to miss out on. The UK is an awesome setting, and is much more enticing than Japan. The 72 player count for the online mode is a nice feature, though I imagine I’ll play most of it in single-player. Also, they’re letting us have houses. Can’t wait to peel out of my driveway in a Land Rover Defender and hit the highlands.

GearsGears is far and away my favorite pillar of Microsoft’s active IP stable. The fake out with Funko Marcus chainsawing through the wall was a fantastic troll. I have no idea what Gears POP! is going to be, but there is a way they could get me to play it. My dream is it plays like a 3v3 variant of Worms, which is essentially a game about cover, shooting, and tactics – unfortunately it’ll probably be something different. Gears Tactics on the other hand is pretty much the perfect Gears spin-off. The pre-alpha footage, setting, and gameplay all look pretty promising. I wish they were able to get Firaxis to make it, but it’ll be interesting to see just how good of an XCOM game Splash Damage can make. My only issue is my only PC is a laptop, so hopefully they announce it will come to Xbox as well in the future. Lastly, Gears 5 put on an impressive debut, and showed a promising direction for the campaign. The gameplay section of the trailer features a bevy of new environments, enemies, weapons, and gameplay additions – it’s also gorgeous. I really enjoyed, and still actively play Gears of War 4 – and 5 looks like it will be even better.

Halo Infinite – I’m not the biggest Halo fan, but I’m curious to see where they go with this. The engine looks promising, and the trailer evoked the feelings of classic Halo. Since a date was not revealed, I’m inclined to think it might end up as the premier launch title of the Nextbox in 2020.

Ori and The Will Of The Wisps – The original came with my Xbox One and I’ve still yet to fully commit to it. That’s going to change soon, as the follow-up looks to be something special. That trailer just strikes so many chords, and features just an exceptional looking environment that is begging to be explored.

Tunic – A nice Zelda-inspired game starring a cute fox. This was shown last year at the PC Gaming Show, so I’m curious if it was always planned to come to console or if Microsoft recently chipped in some additional funding. The fox is adorable, the frogs with cloaks and twin daggers were charming, just really nice visuals. It’s really impressive coming from just a single developer.

We Happy Few – I’m pretty much in the same boat as Ian when it came to this. The initial trailers had me hyped, but the mixed reviews on the gameplay from its time in Game Preview almost dropped it completely off my radar. So its nice to see they went back to the drawing board and reworked it. Microsoft acquired them for what Phil described as their "intense and disruptive creative eye" and I think that's a good description of what We Happy Few appears to be. Hopefully it pans out as it would be a shame for a game with such an intriguing setting to fall on its face.

Final Thoughts: I’m not sure how you could walk away from this with concerns regarding Xbox’s commitment to the video game industry. It was evident this fall was going to be pretty sparse, not that it really matters so much with the amount of third party heavy hitters coming. In a space where it’s first-party titles have been pretty bleak in comparison to the competition, they showed a massive investment to counteract that; a new large-scale studio and four acquisitions where I’d wager at least two of them will be working on new IP’s. The console-less future that people are so afraid of was once again nullified by announcing the work on their next console. They aren’t going anywhere, they aren’t forcing you to stream everything; what they are about is accessibility and providing you with the ability to play how you want. Had they maybe teased one large-scale unexpected first-party title it would have been a perfect showing.

9.7/10

• I'm glad they didn't buy a studio I care about, when he started talking about this my only hope was "Please not Platinum, please not Platinum", as he earlier mentioned that they want to have more japanese games on XB1.

• @musou-tensei

Nah. Platinum seems stable enough in their work to stay independent. They maxed out a medium sized budget with Nier Automata. I bet they can pitch games on the cheap and stay in business for a very long time.

If they did get purchased, I bet it would be a contract - possibly a generation long. I wouldn't hate that. It mean guaranteed Platinum games for 6-10 years kinda thing. I think they'd be a good fit for Sony or Nintendo but Sony has straight up closed their studios before which is scary.

• @dipset Sony usually dissolves studios, i.e. how a number of Psygnosis devs were moved to XDEV when Sony shut them down.