Nintendo E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.

• Hello everyone!

It's that time of year! E3! So I felt it would be a good idea to open up threads about each of the presentations. Now, instead of doing it the day of or the night prior, I thought it would be alright to establish them a week ahead of time so everyone can get in predictions, news, and other topics leading up to the conference and come back here to post their reactions, opinions and analysis once the show is over.

This is the Nintendo thread, so please try to keep it focused on just their show. Will we see more about Metroid Prime 4? What characters do think will be announced for Smash Bros.? Will there be an Animal Crossing announcement? What are your thoughts?

Happy E3 everybody!

• Time for Yoshi, Smash, Fire Emblem at the very least for this year. Octopath Traveler will get a final blowout but that's been a day one buy since I played the demo anyway.

Maybe Metroid Prime 4 footage? But I won't cry if nothing's shown, let the GOTY 2019 cook!

• I have a perhaps unorthodox opinion that I don't want to see Metroid Prime 4 shown at E3 --- assuming widespread expectations are correct that MP4 isn't nearing completion and wouldn't be shown with a release date. Why? Well, I love MP4 and I think all but the very biggest games have their excitement decreased by being stretched across multiple E3s. (and that's without even considering how the risk of delays can make multiple E3 showings backfire!) Last E3 was a unique exception. It was a judicious move to announce two Metroid games, one just being a logo, because Metroid fans have been in the dark for so long (Huber voice: "Acknowledgement!"). Imagine: If MP4's first real E3 showing is also it's last E3 showing, then you know it is going to be big and glorious!

Anyway, on to the more lighter and typical comments:

• Realistically looking forward to:
      • finally seeing whatever Retro has been working on
      • the possibility of announcing a "close 3rd party partnership game" (like with Ubisoft and Mario+Rabbids)
    • Personal pipedreams:
      • Kid Icarus Uprising 2 on Switch.
      • Lost Kingdoms 3 by FromSoft (or even just a new action RPG IP for Nintendo's systems)

Finally, I'm making my bet: "Smash for Switch" is Smash 5 all the way baby. That it is to say it is a sequel, as opposed to an enhanced Wii U port/deluxe edition. Stated another way, I'm betting this Smash is not a stopgap release to make time for the "real Smash 5" to come later on in the Switch's lifecycle.

• Bayonetta 3
    Smash 5

• I predict that the core Pokemon Switch game will be shown quite extensively, or they show the new Animal Crossing Switch game. Both of them at once would be too jolly.

• With Smash 5 confirmed, they've already won this year for me. Anything and everything else is icing on the cake.
    If they show either a new F-Zero or Custom Robo my dick will explode.

• @bam541 said in Nintendo E3 Discussion. News, Predictions, Reactions, etc.:

I predict that the core Pokemon Switch game will be shown quite extensively

I actually doubt we'll see the 2019 Pokémon game at all actually, because they'll want all the attention on Let's Go. It would be detrimental to Let's Go's success to show another (better?) title coming later.

• @axel Hmm i can see that, but i think that if they want all the attention on Let's Go, then i'm sure that they will premiere that game at E3 instead. The fact that they announced it earlier makes me think that they're saving the spotlight for something else.

• i'm clearly going to headline and win E3 all by myself this year.

alt text

• @yoshi I can't wait to get a release date for Yoshi, I played Woolly World coop with my girlfriend for a bit and she loved it so this would be an awesome game to go through with her.

@bam541 They've actually shown most Pokémon games before E3 in the past, Sun & Moon for example were first revealed a few weeks before E3 too. I think it's because Pokémon is such a global phenomenon that it doesn't limit itself to the core gaming audience that E3 mainly targets, and this allows them to dominate the headlines for a week rather than be lost in the shuffle. They'll still surely show more details about the game at E3, with hopefully reassuring news about the depth of the gameplay to satisfy the hardcore crowd. Showing Pokémon 2019 at E3 would just muddy their marketing campaign and risk people confusing the two, but hey if they end up proving me wrong I'll be delighted!

• I just want to see some Bayo 3 gameplay.

• @Musou-Tensei Oh yeah I totally forgot about Bayo 3!! Man, is it next week already??

• Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, how about DLC for Super Mario Odyssey? Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon, every major Switch game has gotten expansions so far so it would make sense for Mario to get one too. It would also be pretty straightforward, just add a few kingdoms with a loose story justification.

Although they might prefer to simply pull a Super Mario Odyssey 2 in a year or two instead, just like they did with Galaxy.

• I’m hoping for Fire Emblem to finally be shown off and given a release date. I need my strategy dating sim fix damnit! Apart from that I’m always interested in the smaller, weirder things Nintendo come out with to pad out their release schedule.
    Also hoping they go more in-depth on Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee although I guess that will probably happen during a Treehouse livestream.

• Everything Smash Bros. makes me excited, new characters etc. Other than that, some "only Nintendo" weird shit will propably make my day.

• alt text

Not a serious prediction, but the unrealistic crazy E3 Bingo Card is an annual tradition of mine.

• My final set of predictions! From LEAST to MOST confident:

5.) Metroid Prime remaster
    4.) We hear about the latest Fire Emblem
    3.) Animal Crossing has a trailer, but with a vague 2019 at the end
    2.) Metroid Prime 4 will also have a trailer with a vague 2019
    1.) The newest Yoshi comes out soon (before the end of August)

• Why does Smash look brighter every time? I prefer Melee's and Brawl's color palettes better.
    And how come Big Boss is not an Echo version of Snake? What a missed opportunity.

• Watching Brandon's face during the Smash part made me smile. He's talked about how he this time wants to learn the game (and be good at it against the other Allies), so he was super concentrated, trying to process all that data. :)

• This was the polar oppisite of the Sony conference, it started cool with Daemon Machina and Xenoblade 2 DLC but then went downhill, I couldn't give less of a shit about Smash Bros without a Brawl like singelplayer.