Nintendo eShop language woes

• So here's a fun anecdote!

My Nintendo Account's location has always been set to Belgium because that's where I lived back in the 3DS days.

The eShop's language was French and couldn't be changed, which was fine by me since I'm French, but was extremely annoying for the millions of Dutch speakers in Belgium.

Today, to my surprise, I booted the eShop and found out it was in Dutch, meaning I can't understand a thing anymore. My turn I guess!

So did Nintendo receive so many complaints from Dutch speakers that they switched the language, not thinking they would in turn piss off all the French speakers? Sounds like the most Nintendo way to fix a problem...

Has anyone else experienced this and do you know a way to fix it?

• @axel said in Nintendo eShop language woes:

do you know a way to fix it?

Learn how to speak Dutch.

• Anything for 3DS is probably a lost cause at this point, but you could try here? Probably isn't helpful, but maybe worth a shot? (I'm not sure if Europe has a specific portal for that. I looked briefly and didn't find another.)

Also, Switch is region free and the eShop displays in the language of the account you access it with, so even though saying abandon your 3DS isn't really a solution, least going forward the problem shouldn't be there anymore.

• So I emailed Nintendo and got a surprisingly quick reply:

This is currently an issue for multi-lingual countries such as Belgium or Switzerland.
    For Belgian users, the following work-around can be used:

• Users with a Belgian Nintendo Account and with the Switch language set as English will get the eShop displayed in French.
    • Users with a Belgian Nintendo Account and with the Switch language set as Dutch will get the eShop displayed in Dutch.
      So we advise you to set the language to English as this will change the eShop language to French.

Except my Switch was already set to English, so that's not correct. I tried changing my Switch's language to French and now the eShop is in French too. Problem solved, except that now games are in French and I prefer them in English...

@Mbun I tried this and I can indeed change my region there, but I got a warning message saying doing this would unlink my Nintendo Account from my Nintendo Network ID (used on 3DS / Wii U), not sure what that would do exactly. Knowing Nintendo, I probably don't want to risk it! :)

• @axel said:

I got a warning message saying doing this would unlink my Nintendo Account from my Nintendo Network ID (used on 3DS / Wii U)

Okay yeah, don't do that then. Sorry, I don't know any better fix than the one they gave you.