Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• I was watching the gameplay video from SoP again yesterday and it reminded me AC: Odyssey a lot, even more than the first time.

• Great Gamespot review with some additional details:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushimas-long-journey-to-release-unlikel/1100-6477530/?UniqueID=8DA41CF8-9AE6-11EA-BCA9-2014FDA12A29&TheTime=2020-05-20T22%3A09%3A19&PostType=link&ftag=ftag%3DGSS-05-10aab8e&ServiceType=twitter

Certainly there is a fair amount of combat in the game, but there's more to life than just sword fighting [in Ghost of Tshushima]. There's a lot of people in need and a lot of ways in which you can serve them. This game, while it tracks Jin's trajectory from this samurai to giving up his identity to become the ghost, there are characters you'll meet along the way that, if you decide to, you can get invested in their stories and in helping them out. It's part of discovery. The game is an anthology of stories that get you to say, "What's over that hill? There's probably somebody there that could use help." And it's not always fighting at all.

I like how the interviewer had to specify In Ghost of Tsushima. We all know that in real life there is only sword fighting.

The goal of the game is to get the Mongols out of Tsushima to save the people of your home. And that takes a lot of different forms, like the shipyard in the State of Play demo, or helping somebody recover a loved one that's been taken by the Mongols, or finding something that's just been lost while fleeing, looking for food, that kind of thing. This is a wartime epic where you get to know a lot of people who are struggling to survive inside of a very harsh landscape.

One of the things that we strive for really, really diligently is to keep swords lethal. To feel like those samurai movie battles, enemies have to die with a few strokes of a katana, otherwise it's not a katana, it's a Nerf tube. That means that when they hit you with swords, you also are going to die in a few strikes. It's very challenging.

We tried very hard to not have UI because it hurts immersion. However, there's something where UI really is helpful and a health bar is one of them so the red bar is health. The golden spheres are Jin's resolve. He uses these to regain a little bit of health. Also, it's his grit to perform his most devastating attacks. These attacks drain him a little bit, [so] you have to make a tactical decision if you'd rather heal or really bring the fight.

Certainly he's fighting back against the Mongols. You learn about what he's done both through seeing the landscape change, but also the way people talk to you. Jin is transforming from the samurai into the ghost and not everyone thinks that's great. Characters that you get to know inside of the game might treat you differently depending on how Jin has evolved and comment on that. The whole story really revolves around this transformation, and the characters were put into the game to give another perspective on that change

I was wondering about this.

In the original Paris Games Week reveal there was the duel sequence, an element of the game that wasn't shown in the State of Play thing. They're a big part of samurai movies, but we didn't get to see much more of it. Are duels still there and how do they work?

A big part of the samurai films are duels, as you point out. It's a classic. It's two highly trained warriors meet and it is going to be an apex challenge in the game. There are a number of them in Ghost of Tsushima where you have to study the person you're dueling, how they attack, how they move, read attacks, counter, and then look for a window. These are the most challenging encounters you have in the game and it's just a one-on-one.

Just in case you need a visual refresher on that. I believe this duel has been confirmed as the result of an optional sidequest.
    Youtube Video – [06:26..]

• I like the focus on exploration, just not completely sold on the world design yet. But in a way rather they don't show too much and be surprised during the game.

But in all honesty my experience with both Spiderman and Horizon have me very skeptical about Sony games open worlds. Hopefully there's depth here. Their approach to navigation certainly makes me excited.

If it's nothing special I expect it to be a Assassin's Creed Japan without the whole Unisoft bloat. And that's good enough.

• @phbz

What was your problem about SM's open world?

• In case you want even more feature articles about the game:

From what the article said, it seems that the people's reaction to the Ghost is dependent on the progression of the Ghost's abilities, which sounds great to me. Also, I love that SIE Japan helped SP a lot on this game.

• @scotty said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

@phbz

What was your problem about SM's open world?

For me, it was radio towers, boring beckonings from denizens, area clearing, and all of that open world junk. Story didn’t grab me so the world definitely didn’t either.

• @tokyoslim said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

The golden spheres are Jin's resolve. He uses these to regain a little bit of health. Also, it's his grit to perform his most devastating attacks. These attacks drain him a little bit, [so] you have to make a tactical decision if you'd rather heal or really bring the fight.

Oh man, this sounds just like the focus meter thing in Spider-Man. I love that mechanic so much, hopefully it works well here as well.

• @bam541 said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

From what the article said, it seems that the people's reaction to the Ghost is dependent on the progression of the Ghost's abilities, which sounds great to me.

Seems like they've replaced the morality system from Infamous, with an infamy system. lol

• @scotty It just feels ancient. Looks great but very basic in what it has to offer.

• @bam541

Yeah, me too.

Now that we mention SM's open world: I really like how fast we can travel with Batman and Spider-Man in those games. It becomes boring after a while with horse or cars. But with Batman and Spider-Man, it's always fun. And with those characters(especially SM) ordinary common quests like area clearing, destroying things, activating towers etc were one of the most enjoyable ones because of how fun to control these characters. It doesn't feel the same with slower characters like AC's protagonists, FC's protagonists etc. I'm afraid the possibility of it will be like that with Jin too.