Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• @dipset The metrics are talking, Sony. Get to work.

• Finished Act II late last night and transitioned into the final third of the game up in the north. That was an excellent second climax for the game! Some mighty dark waters. Made me feel things in a big way, excellent writing.

Jin and Shimura's relationship basically ending like that hit me hard. I love this whole samurai vs. Ghost debate. Honour vs. efficiency. I get both of those sides, both perspectives. But I do have to say that that whole poisoning of the Mongol camp was some nasty, nasty shit. Rough to watch. And when uncle arrived, man... "I am not your son", the adoption papers went up in flames and so on. Excellent work from the Jin and Shimura actors, by the way!

And what the hell game! Nobu! My horse! That was an evil twist at this point. Cruel. Never would've expected my companion to die at two thirds into the game. Very well done, Sucker Punch. That made me realize how much I had actually cared for the horse. And taken Nobu for granted, too. What a sad scene. :(

The north seems really cool. Drastically different than anything the game has offered so far. And I like the fact that the three big areas get a little smaller step by step. Things get tighter before the finale.

I've cleared everything from the south island and then Toyotama before getting here, so my focus can now be solely here. Okay, there might be a single ? out there somewhere, but honestly I've de-fogged the map completely, I think. No more Mongol territories or any kind of quests, mythical or otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to finishing both Ishikawa and Masako's long quest lines, by the way! Those have been excellent and developed in a great fashion throughout the journey. Now, only the final conclusions await...

• I just got to Act 2 a few days ago. I thought seeing Lord Shimura again would feel jolly, but man he's so intimidating. I didn't really stray far from the Samurai Code up until this point, but now I'm actually scared to do so, lol. Also, I'm excited to completely ignore all the main missions again as I scour Toyotama for haikus and foxes.

• Question are there any sort of big cities in the last area? Because so far in act 2 it feels like the grappling hook is pretty under utilized.

• New update/patch incoming! I'm excited to try out that new Lethal difficulty mode.

• Just rolled credits earlier today! I had a really fun time with this game, just such a good vibe and aesthetic the whole way through. I also never really ran into the whole "dumb AI/too easy" thing, I played on Medium and although you definitely get powerful, I thought it was pretty even progression through each area. I mean, I could just be bad, but I like to think that's not the case.

I can't wait to go back and get the platinum for this one, the side quests had some of my favorite stories. I played with a pretty even split between English and Japanese VO, and I think both have solid performances.

Now for spoilery stuff:

In terms of the ending, I thought it was super interesting that they give you a choice in the Shimura fight, it definitely makes you think about Jin's transformation as you decide. I think they could've done more to seed his departure from the samurai/honorable way in Act 1 and 2 cause sometimes it felt like he rolled over to easily for Shimura, but I still think it was generally well executed. I ended up choosing to kill him cause I could still feel that they both cared about each other and didn't think Shimura would want to spend the rest of his life chasing Jin at the behest of the shogun, and Jin would still have enough ties with his family to understand what his uncle wanted. Seems like a lot of people are calling that the "bad ending", but honestly I don't think there is a bad ending. Even if there were, I think Jin having to be chased by his uncle who just sees his son who abandoned him is a little more tragic. According to the Kinda Funny Spoilercast, Nate Fox says he thinks letting him live is 'true' ending , which I can definitely see too. I wish there was a Telltale kind of thing that shows the percentage of what people are choosing.

Also, I usually like to max out the canon armor in games before I fight the final boss in games, so I would've gone for the Ghost outfit, but as soon as the Sly Cooper cosplay was available, there was no way I could play the rest of the game in anything other than that.

• Love this game.

I thought about what Jin would do and and what the outcome would be. I killed the uncle as I thought the uncle as I thought it's what he would want it some weird way. I thought he would kill himself if I chose the other choice.

I haven't thought GOTY yet but it's up there in contention. Miles Morales might take it though :P

• I'll try the new difficulty. Right now I'm at a point where I'm bored with the combat. Might be my fault but if I see a group of enemies I have to engage and I might have gone through one hundred fights now (more?) and pretty much every single one if feels the same and lack real challenge. Reminds me a lot of the Witcher 3 where you have some width but no depth combat wise, with difficulty level having little impact also. But at least with the Witcher 3 you had the option to use a lock system.

Btw, I get a lot of Witcher 3 vibes from the mob fights, to quests and even some elements in art style. It seems to be a big influence on this game.

So far has been a weird game for me. Some sessions I feel like this is a superb game, others that I'm ready to be done with it. No doubt a lot of heart in it but also a lot of uninspired unnecessary filler.

Edit: I've been playing in Lethal for an hour or so. Wouldn't call it harder but by increasing the lethality from both your attacks and your opponents, it moves combat away from mindless mass murder. Maybe it will become too much but for now feels more like a change of pace and stakes than difficulty it self.

• I tried out the Lethal difficulty already, and I enjoy it even more than Hard. It made the combat pace feel way faster since everyone dies so easily (one cut one kill hype!), but also I had to play it way more carefully since my character's such a aggressive glass cannon (basically no armor bonuses but very high sword damage, and I equipped the charm that gives health after a kill). It also makes finding/making openings in the enemy defenses way more important since they can gang me up so fast and put me on my back foot easily. Not to mention managing my Resolves is even more important now, gotta save some for the "resurrection" mechanic since I can miss parries so easily now and get two hit killed. So far, I'm very satisfied with this difficulty, and I hope it keeps this up as it goes.

Also, I can one kill low-tier enemies now with my sprint strike, and I had a blast with it. Please excuse my evil laughter at the end.

• @bam541 This makes a huge difference for me, much closer from what I wanted from this game.

Low hanging fruit but here's one of my first fights while trying Lethal.

• I've just hit act two. There's a lot I like in this game but also a lot of problems. I'll leave my overall impression for the end but to highlight one major criticism: it's a joke that you can't skip cutscenes.

• One thing that gets some criticism is the non-companion side quest. While I agree they mostly fit into the go here, kill that type of quest but I do appreciate a lot of them have a little twist on them. Like you thought you were helping but were being tricked or you were told one thing to find out it was another. It doesn't make them not repetitive but it does make them a little more interesting. Just my two cents while working through the second area.

• Finished the game. Got the platinum as well.

A really good game, this one. I enjoyed this from start to finish, and luckily it tended to just improve as it went further. I'm happy that the main plot was good, and I actually think that Jin and Shimura's relationship is THE strongest thing in the game. It felt so serious and good and caring and sad and angry and friendly and all these emotions whenever the nephew and the uncle were on screen together. Jin became much more alive during those moments. Really great roles by both men, the voice actors. Well written stuff all in all.

It's been great to see how the Japanese audience has ended up loving the game so much. Even so much that some have been scratching their heads in slight disbelief that how come no Japanese studio came up with a game like this. In any case, hats off to Sucker Punch. What a world, that whole Tsushima island! Loved the side quests, too, especially Ishikawa and Masako's. And the music sounded so authentic, it really flew you to that time and space in the world. And the visuals? Literally on a "every frame a painting" level, that style choice was simply spot-on in this one.

• I watched Damiani's playthrough for a bit, it's so hilarious watching him deal with the dogs early on. This part takes the cake for me though, his disbelief is too good.

Youtube Video – [4:35:23..]

• Just finished one of the main missions in Act 2, and it's so fucking good! Just need to gush about it for a bit.

It's the "Ghost of Yarikawa" mission. It started great with the Yuna and Jin drinking scene, but that Ghost Stance moment at the end is so awesome. It's the perfect way to not only present, but also introduce a new ability contextually. Also, my PS4 was slowing down the whole way through, there's definitely a lot happening in this mission.

• @bam541

Omfg that flying dog! Hahaha.

• I finally caved & bought this due to the overwhelmingly positive praise from players. I'm only about 5 hours in but I seems like another one of "them" games that's taken all the traits from this gen & refined them & that's a good thing. Hope it keeps up its momentum.

• By the way. Why Sony hates money? This game could have such cool online modes. A 1vs99, 50vs50 battle royale. Or even something smaller. Easy money!

• @phbz Didn't ubisoft kinda try that with For Honour & no one cared about a week after release.

• @phbz Sony doesn't have a good history with online games, lol.