Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• @ffff0 lol I don't feel the same way at all, but I think that's like one of the reasons Sony is just so slow with how they are showing off PS5 stuff.

• @bam541 Well, Sony isn't the only player in the industry (and I'm starting to worry that they don't realize that). And come to think of it, Ghost of Tsushima looks worse than Red Dead Redemption 2 which came out in 2018.

I'm not interested in sword combat and customization, stealth looks generic and story is still unknown. So far exploration is the only interesting thing for me here, and visuals is a key component for it.

• Combat and Ghost looks fun! I think the wind stuff looks quite dumb to be honest. Considering you have to go into an Assassin's Creed esque map screen to get it working, it seems like a bit of a waste. Add on the fact that at the beginning the wind was telling the player to jump of the cliff? Yeah... just a bit dumb.

I really like the smoke stack and visual queue stuff. And the amount of exploration looks fascinating.

I think this might be my classic Assassin's Creed fix in a lot of ways. Considering it's Sony first party, I'm much more happy in a purchase now.

• Probably good, probably fun, but looking at that gameplay reveal I found zero reasons to make me excited to play the game, unless it somehow ends up blowing everyone away story wise or something, it really just looks like the safest game I could imagine.

• Finally watched it, and if I'd seen this video without knowing what game I was looking at, I could have sworn this was Assassin's Creed: Japan.

It does indeed look rather safe on the game design front, but it has so much style and flair, the world is so appealing both thematically and visually, the combat looks closer to Batman than I expected... It's going to be very hard to resist. It's going to be an interesting choice between this and Paper Mario.

• Don't know how I missed this, but the Japanese VA for Jin is Kazuya Nagai, who voices Zoro in One Piece. I was already gonna play it in Japanese, but now more so than ever.

• More details about the game from IGN interviews:

I'm excited to see how challenging it is. If there's anything Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man showed me, is that challenging encounters goes a long way to making a open world game fun to explore.

• Inspired by Sotc? I don't really see it

• "killing Animals = no rewards" is an interesting way to go about that. I assume that that if you kill that bear that's attacking the people in the demo - you'll be rewarded SOMEHOW. I just think that probably means there's no hunting/skinning crafting materials mechanic.

• @bam541

- no morality system

I'm surprised. It was a perfect opportunity to improve replayability. There won't be consequences for playing as ghost then.

• Everything in that short IGN interview is music to my ears.

• "[...] There are all sorts of hidden stories and items you get acces to by following your curiosity. This is why we didn’t add markers on the map. We want you to get lost in Tsushima, that when you are heading to a hill, you suddenly hear a bird you think, maybe I will follow that instead. Just get lost from the one thing to the next, and we want to give you the tools and freedom to do that.”

• "[...] Next to that story you will meet people that try to survive in the world, with stories that will branch of off the main one. That is what the body of the game is made up off."

• "[...]Tsushima Island covers the biomes you can find on main land Japan, from snowy mountains to bamboo forests, to waterfalls and rolling grasslands, it’s all there."

These three points really ease my fears and I look forward to seeing Sucker Punch's approach to the open world formula. The more I see and hear, the more I think they're on track for a great game.

• https://techplusgame.com/ghost-of-tsushima-over-40-50-hours-long/

Let's see how much of it is real fun and how much of it is chore to do.

• @scotty said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

It was a perfect opportunity to improve replayability.

I think it's the right choice, it's already going to be a big game anyway. Also, with this choice, now I'm quite confident that SP will deliver a better story than the inFamous games.

• @bam541

I don't know about the SS but first 2 games' stories were fine. Not seeing any difference between ghost and samurai as a world feedback is disappointment.

Let the wind guide you.

Did you change this with the game or was it already there?

• @scotty I think the "Mongols will fear the Ghost" mechanic is a hint that there'll be still be world feedback, it's just not connected to a morality system anymore. Maybe it's tied to your armor or something.

I changed it after the gameplay, it's too fitting for me lol.

• @bam541

When they first talk about Jin becoming Ghost with dishonored way, and after seeing that you can play as Ghost or Samurai for side events; I thought they would use it for different outcomes.

• @scotty said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

Not seeing any difference between ghost and samurai as a world feedback is disappointment.

I think they've already shown off that as the Ghost, enemies will fear you - and as a Samurai they don't. That's a difference that's not necessarily a "moral" choice, but morality is implied. The whole point of GoT as far as I can tell is that you're inventing being a ninja, because the Mongols are super trained and ready to kill Samurai. They have a distinct mechanical (weapons/armor) and strategic advantage over Samurai. The fact that you're adapting and altering your tactics is already at the expense of your "honor". I think they alluded to that in one of the dialog cutscenes they showed.

• @tokyoslim

I expected more than that, especially story wise.

• Ok.

I mean, this is how the game has more or less always been presented. I'm just giving context to why there wouldn't be any "moral" choices based on being the Ghost

• @tokyoslim

It was my assumption since the beginning given their style with Famous/Infamous mechanic of previous games.