Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

• My Takeaways

I really liked:

• The 'wind' mechanic is likely going to keep my head in the game world and hopefully not turn this into a checklist / base clearing sim.

• Artistic visual design language which piques your curiosity and directs your exploration. Smoke in the distance, animals lead you to new areas of exploring.

• These top two points might combat my gripes with the open world genre.

I liked:

• Minimalist aesthetic. Reminds me of a vibrant Shadow of the Colossus.

• Stoic and retrained tone.

• Clear inspiration from Samurai films. Something that can be seen on-screen and separates GoT from other open world games.

• The combat looks somewhat different from the market. I appreciate the instant kills and the fluidity of the battle when the Mongolians were scared off.

• Cinematic standoffs.

• Lots of beautiful character customization options. Photo modes. Extras like the Samurai Film Mode.

My skepticisms:

• We essentially saw a clear-the-camp side mission (FarCry, modern Assassin's Creed, MGS V).

• This has signs of being a tried and true open world game, which I generally get bored of fast.

• Question marks (?) on map - could this directly contradict what they are going for with the 'wind' mechanic?

Generally speaking, I am intrigued. I think this game looks really damn cool and way more interesting than any other open world game coming in the near future.

I just have really had it up to here with these open world games and I hope to goodness that my skepticisms aren't founded because I won't like this game otherwise. I still feel burnt by The Witcher 3 going open world and sort of taking away from the franchise in my opinion. Yet, it's so widely celebrated that everybody is building upon games like The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham City.

My expectations are in check but I'm teetering on the side of excitement rather than skepticism.

• Man, this looks pretty close to the kind of Samurai themed game that I always wanted. Just a big focus on exploration, audiovisual beauty/style and being immersed in the beautiful world. Love it! The guiding wind mechanic is so cool. The combat stuff looks good, it definitely has the feel of a typical open world game combat to me. Coming off the inFamous games it's definitely less flashier but that's a good thing for me since it just looks so grounded. Also, the music is fantastic! Especially when they showed off the duel in the Samurai Cinema mode. So excited for this.

This is probably my favorite shot of the whole trailer. The environment in the background looks so dreamy to me.
    0_1589490340512_Screenshot (311).png

• I feel like this could have benefit if it wasn't fully fledged open world and more like half-linear game.

@dipset said in Ghost of Tsushima (PS4):

My skepticisms:

We essentially saw a clear-the-camp side mission (FarCry, modern Assassin's Creed, MGS V).

This has signs of being a tried and true open world game, which I generally get bored of fast.

Great points. My thoughts also.

• Yeah, if I had to sum it up in one word, I'd say "safe". It looks like they've gone very much "tried and true" and not taken any risks to push things forward. That doesn't mean I think it'll be bad. I expect it to be a lot of fun but I just don't expect any major surprises in gameplay. I also expect Huber to love it and be the only ally hyped over the trailer.

• Who remembers this demo from 2007?

Assassin's Creed: Full Mission - Commented by Jade Raymond
    Youtube Video

As a 12 year old with lofty ambitions of buying a PS3 in the future, I'd drool watching this gameplay demo over and over and over and over again in rabid anticipation of getting a new PlayStation 3. I'd also rewatch the TGS 2007 LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 demos as well but that's neither here nor there.

This new 18 minute demo of Ghost of Tsushima shows how far this vision from the original Assassin's Creed in 2007 has come. I feel like the original intention was to make an open world stealth assassination game where you can use the 3D environment however you like. In practice, doing anything stealthy was almost impossible, the controls were floaty, and there were maybe 6-7 major assassinations in the whole game with a bunch of broken fetch quests sprinkled in-between. I almost feel as though this gameplay demo we saw today was the "original vision" of Assassin's Creed in practice.

So its weird for me to complain that I'm sick of open world games when nowadays they've perfected sooooo much of what Ubisoft set out to do back then. Hell, if Assassin's Creed in 2007 had 50 base clearing missions, I'd be thrilled because I actually enjoyed playing all of those vastly inferior fetch quests they gave us back then. Maybe it was because I was 12 years old playing a next gen game, maybe it was because I was feigning buyer's remorse, but likely, I just wasn't as picky back then.

For every one of my skepticisms, there is some 12 year old out there who has their jaw on the floor looking at Ghost of Tsushima. I almost feel weird complaining and being skeptical of a game that is so clearly well made and beautiful.

Hats off to the team at Sucker Punch cause I think this game is going to be a major success. And hats off to Ubisoft because 12 years later - the whole industry is still copying them.

• This game looks great to me. It's hard to say what I'm more excited about, this or Cyberpunk.

• I forgot to say this earlier, but the Samurai Cinema mode pretty much guarantees that I'll be doing a second playthrough of this (if the game turns out great, of course). I hope there's a no-HUD mode as well, just to double down on that mode. I'm SO excited for the possibilities of the photo mode as well... my hype just went through the roof right now.

• @dipset

I love watching E3 demos. I wonder what Jade is cooking in her Google studio.

• I't unfortunate they release it after Unreal Engine 5 tech demo was shown. Ghost of Tsushima looks so "old-gen" now that I don't want to play it. Even compared to Assassin's Creed Valhalla (which is cross-gen) it looks outdated.

• @ffff0 lol I don't feel the same way at all, but I think that's like one of the reasons Sony is just so slow with how they are showing off PS5 stuff.

• @bam541 Well, Sony isn't the only player in the industry (and I'm starting to worry that they don't realize that). And come to think of it, Ghost of Tsushima looks worse than Red Dead Redemption 2 which came out in 2018.

I'm not interested in sword combat and customization, stealth looks generic and story is still unknown. So far exploration is the only interesting thing for me here, and visuals is a key component for it.

• Combat and Ghost looks fun! I think the wind stuff looks quite dumb to be honest. Considering you have to go into an Assassin's Creed esque map screen to get it working, it seems like a bit of a waste. Add on the fact that at the beginning the wind was telling the player to jump of the cliff? Yeah... just a bit dumb.

I really like the smoke stack and visual queue stuff. And the amount of exploration looks fascinating.

I think this might be my classic Assassin's Creed fix in a lot of ways. Considering it's Sony first party, I'm much more happy in a purchase now.

• Probably good, probably fun, but looking at that gameplay reveal I found zero reasons to make me excited to play the game, unless it somehow ends up blowing everyone away story wise or something, it really just looks like the safest game I could imagine.

• Finally watched it, and if I'd seen this video without knowing what game I was looking at, I could have sworn this was Assassin's Creed: Japan.

It does indeed look rather safe on the game design front, but it has so much style and flair, the world is so appealing both thematically and visually, the combat looks closer to Batman than I expected... It's going to be very hard to resist. It's going to be an interesting choice between this and Paper Mario.

• Don't know how I missed this, but the Japanese VA for Jin is Kazuya Nagai, who voices Zoro in One Piece. I was already gonna play it in Japanese, but now more so than ever.

• More details about the game from IGN interviews:

I'm excited to see how challenging it is. If there's anything Horizon Zero Dawn and Marvel's Spider-Man showed me, is that challenging encounters goes a long way to making a open world game fun to explore.

• Inspired by Sotc? I don't really see it

• "killing Animals = no rewards" is an interesting way to go about that. I assume that that if you kill that bear that's attacking the people in the demo - you'll be rewarded SOMEHOW. I just think that probably means there's no hunting/skinning crafting materials mechanic.

• @bam541

- no morality system

I'm surprised. It was a perfect opportunity to improve replayability. There won't be consequences for playing as ghost then.

• Everything in that short IGN interview is music to my ears.

• "[...] There are all sorts of hidden stories and items you get acces to by following your curiosity. This is why we didn’t add markers on the map. We want you to get lost in Tsushima, that when you are heading to a hill, you suddenly hear a bird you think, maybe I will follow that instead. Just get lost from the one thing to the next, and we want to give you the tools and freedom to do that.”

• "[...] Next to that story you will meet people that try to survive in the world, with stories that will branch of off the main one. That is what the body of the game is made up off."

• "[...]Tsushima Island covers the biomes you can find on main land Japan, from snowy mountains to bamboo forests, to waterfalls and rolling grasslands, it’s all there."

These three points really ease my fears and I look forward to seeing Sucker Punch's approach to the open world formula. The more I see and hear, the more I think they're on track for a great game.