Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC)

• That's probably the right call. Nuts though, knowing how reluctant Sony is to offer refunds.

• Honestly I think this is a bit overboard and Sony trying to be the first to hop on some of that sweet, sweet consumer goodwill.

• @el-shmiablo I don't think it's a cute PR stunt, they're going to lose a lot of money by doing this.

Their customer service has probably been insanely overloaded these past few days following CDPR's "just ask for refunds" announcement without consulting Sony.

This combined with the bad optics of CDPR's investor call in which they said the game passed Sony's certification process, making them look like chumps. Even though the cert process is not for the overall quality of the game, which would be way too arbitrary, it's just a painful checklist of things like "Can all trophies be unlocked?", "Is there ever a black screen with nothing moving for more than X seconds?", "Does the game set your console on fire?", etc.

But with such a high-profile game, it made the general public aware of a general lack of quality control which affects the trust they have in Sony. They're merely covering their ass by doing this (and putting CDPR in their place), not banking on the situation.

This launch is the gift that keeps on giving!

• I feel like it's a 50/50 situation. I mean hell I wonder just how many crashes have been reported via the in system reporting tool (17 for myself).

I think we'll know if it's gone nuclear if MS, Steam and maybe physical retailers start pulling it.

• @el-shmiablo I think it is either this or something worse we haven't heard about yet like the game actually overloading the hardware and causing permanent damage in some small number of cases. Otherwise, I don't see why they'd remove it.

Edit: On second thought, I bet it was the seizures. Even though you can patch that, they still existed in a version that was released to the public.

• Wow, what a shity move from Sony. First, they sell you PS5 Digital Edition, then they rob you of any opportunity to buy a game that runs perfectly fine on your system (according to Digital Foundry). And as usual, it’s done without any warnings and notices.

A giant corporation that only cares about extracting money from you – Cyberpunk 2077 in real life.

• @ffff0 I mean, if all they wanted was to "extract money from you", they wouldn't stop selling the game...

Whatever their reasons are, they must be pretty serious, because I doubt they're happy having to give refunds to so many people and missing out on revenue.

• @axel I'm certain Sony is very unhappy about giving a refund and don't want customers to see it as a solution. Because otherwise people start asking "Why I was able to refund Cyberpunk 2077, but not this game I'm not happy with? Steam allows that." I'm sure that Sony is looking at bigger picture and is willing to take a hit here to preserve “if you touch it, you buy it” mentality for PS Store.

Secondly, Sony knew the state of the game they are releasing on their platform and they did it anyway. But when the heat started, they suddenly "realized" that the game has issues. Maybe there's a valid reason, but it looks like they just don't want to be on receiving end of customer's complaints and want to put all blame on CD Project RED.

This and selling you a console you can't buy game for is what I meant when I said that Sony only cares about extracting money from you.

• @ffff0 I agree with the first part, Sony is not happy about the refunds.

But saying they knew the state of the game they were releasing is not exactly true, like I said their certification process has nothing to do with resolution, framerate, AI bugs or the overall "quality" of a game. Why would they care about that? If they did, there would be a lot more games rejected from their store than Cyberpunk.

That's entirely CDPR's problem and responsibility. All Sony cares about is whether the game actually launches and ticks their base functionality boxes. There's no way Sony can extensively QA every single game published on their platform, nor should they have to.

What prompted this reaction is probably the unprecedented wave of refund claims provoked by CDPR themselves, and that's why (and maybe other reasons we don't know) they decided to put an end to it for now.

About the digital PS5, sure, but the game will come back eventually I imagine, so it's not such a big deal.

But just to be clear, this entire situation is 100% CDPR's fault, they're the ones who couldn't or wouldn't optimise their game for the different platforms they released it on.

• @axel Well, maybe my opinion is biased. I'll step aside and let myself cool down. The last thing this game needs is another heated voice.

• @ffff0 No worries, it's ok that we disagree :)

Btw I just saw this thread from a dev expaining the certification process more in detail:

Also this made me laugh:

• @axel I think that says more about the low standards of certification than anything else.

It's no doubt 100% fault of CDPR the state the game is in.

But the decision to sell a game in that state in their own store falls with Sony/MS, and I expect them to have higher standards than just "this game will not break your console". I think a frame rate target would be a good start. Nothing crazy but maybe "get not less than 28 average", or something. Maybe a maximum number of crashes too. Isn't Apple known for having higher certification standards?

The state this game is on base consoles is not acceptable. And, again, it's only CDPR to blame for it but they are not responsible for the quality standards of the stores. And in my opinion they should protect their costumers.

• Welp I'm reinstalling Mankind Divided for my Cyberpunk fix until the game is fixed. Ya'll done that game dirty. Looks like a fucking masterpiece now.

• @paulmci27 It's a great game, never understood why all the hate. Gamers be gamers I guess.

• It was my GOTY the year it came out. The level design and side-quests were unmatched.

• @paulmci27 I got halfway through that game on my friend's PC and my save data got fucked, and I never played it since. The level design in that game is pretty insane. I feel like I should play it again (got the PS4 version from PS Plus a while back). Maybe after I'm done replaying Watch Dogs 2.

• @paulmci27

I am considering giving Mankind Divided a go on PS5. I bought it at launch and really enjoyed the world and freedom, mainly sneaking into people's homes through vents, but the loading on PS4 ruined the experience for me. An RPG game where you have to check the map and the quest log as much as you do, shouldn't have that much loading involved. It just irked me so badly that I stopped. I expect that's a non-issue on PS5.

• @dipset Yeah that Dev team in General always seems to have problems with their load times. Be interesting to see the improvements. I played on base ps4 I'm now gonna try it on the one x see what that's like.

• @paulmci27

Yeah please report back because I played on PS4 Pro (I think...) and I still wasn't impressed with the loading time. Trying to place it in the timeline and my mind and it could've been base PS4, but either way, if it runs nicely on XBO-X, then I assume it'll be good on PS5.

• @dipset Played a couple of hours I think the load times are better. 1 minute as opposed to 2 or 3. What I can confidently confirm is that it looks significantly better.