Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC)

• Cyberpunk is proof that one should never hype for mainstream games because corrupt mainstream media give them so much hype based on marketing campaign and all budget wasted on marketing rather than quality of final product. its sad state of affair.

• I'm still way too early to pass full judgement, but so far I just feel like this game is full of half baked ideas. Not the type of problems that get fixed in 6 months either. Conceptually, this game doesn't know if it wants to be a simulated world like GTA or Ubisoft OW's, or an immersive RPG world. The world leans so much further into the simulated world side of things and just doesn't even hold a candle to the market competition.

If I had just one thing to point out it's the cathartic sense of relief that every journalist, pundit, podcaster or whoever, are commenting at this game being at it's best when it imitates the Quest-driven nature of The Witcher III and at it's worst when it's trying to be this big open world with all sorts of branching paths to handle combat scenarios and so on.

That is roughly the same criticism I've had about The Witcher III that I've said from the moment I played it for the first time. That game is at it's best when it focuses on characters and quests and the open world feels pointless. But what makes TW3 still amazing is everything is does so well. Cyberpunk feels half baked in everything except the quest design. And even then, I have to suffer through bad AI, bad stealth design, bad level design.

One of the worst feelings you can have in a game is when you aren't sure if something is intentional or if it's a glitch and I can't tell if enemy AI is bad or just buggy. Enemies will stand still, with no route path, and I have no means of distracting them or getting them to move with hacks or other distractions. So in order to take one guy out I absolutely have to be seen by another guy. In one quest, I had no signs of even alerting security, yet, on my way out of this host club thingy, all these security guards were there to kill me. But standing in one area and didn't know I was there until I got in their sights. So why are they even here in the first place if they don't know I'm here?

Is it bad design or a bug—I don't know?!

I think I'm going to finish the game because the story grips me and I can see past the other stuff. I'm not so disappointed because my expectations weren't super high. Hell, I'm now doubling down on my prediction that Vampire 2 will be the better RPG. That said, I'm looking forward to replaying it with updates but I'm not convinced they can "fix" this game's problems. There are just too many half ideas or half executions of these ideas.

• @b-cell said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

Cyberpunk is proof that one should never hype for mainstream games because corrupt mainstream media give them so much hype based on marketing campaign and all budget wasted on marketing rather than quality of final product. its sad state of affair.

Kinda like Metro Exodus or DOOM Eternal.

• @dipset said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

@b-cell said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

Cyberpunk is proof that one should never hype for mainstream games because corrupt mainstream media give them so much hype based on marketing campaign and all budget wasted on marketing rather than quality of final product. its sad state of affair.

Kinda like Metro Exodus or DOOM Eternal.

none of them are mainstream as much as Cyberpunk. neither they are broken and unfinished at launch.

• Banned

I want to know what world Bcell lives in where Doom Eternal isn't mainstream.

• @el-shmiablo
    C'mon, ID software, Bethesda and Zenimax are totally obscure names from the gaming underground. Obviously you're not cool enough to get it.

• @phbz
    Underground? Thoese are all indie studios with hundreds and hundreds of interns

• @el-shmiablo said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

I want to know what world Bcell lives in where Doom Eternal isn't mainstream.

Ask any random person what is GTA. they know its game but ask them what is Doom and they couldnot answer.

• @b-cell

Have you conducted this experience yourself?

And...

are you really sure that as a gaming brand Doom is less recognisable than Cyberpunk 2077?

Can you even shoot lamps in Doom?

• Doom is in the top echelon of video game mindshare. Non-gamers know about Doom. Doom is the only video game I've ever seen advertised on a race car:

alt text

• By now I’ve finished two full playthroughs and I will keep playing, because this game is absolutely incredible!

Firstly, I’ve got extremely attached to my character. Usually, I’m all about stats when I pick gear in an RPG. In Cyberpunk 2077, a first-person game, I was traveling around the city to find shoes that would look good with V’s new dress and fit her personality. I prefer to make photos of vistas both in games and in real life, but in Cyberpunk 2077 I’ve spent half an hour to make perfect selfie, because I felt that V would do that. Starting a new playthrough with a new character was tough, but in the end, it didn’t feel like I’m replacing one V with another. Their journeys were vastly different, almost like there were two Vs and both of them lived in the same city, just in different districts (I know it doesn’t make sense plot wise, but it feels like this).

Secondly, this world is amazing. Dense places, sparce places, boring places, big crowds, lonely people, emptiness, uplifting spots, depressing spots, planes, verticality – there’s so much diversity and so many details. Nothing ever feels like a video game level planted in open-world environment. Even with all visual glitches and even with the fact that my PC can’t hit FPS target on the settings I’m using I was still incredibly immersed and was launching the game just to walk around if I had a bit of spare time. And ray tracing makes everything look so real!

Story is an interesting thing (I’ll avoid spoilers). There are strong moments and there are several of them, but I never felt a huge emotional impact (for reference, very few games had achieved that). However, on my second playthrough I’ve ignored minor side quests, and the ending felt stronger. Overall, story feels less like a complete ark and more like a moment in life. A defining moment, but not the only thing this character will be remembered for. Such stories usually take time to grow on me, so it’s hard to tell now whether I’ll be keep thinking about it in a year or I’ll completely forget it.

Gameplay has it flaws, but it wasn’t a problem for me. When I’ve realized that melee combat is bad, I’ve just RPed that my character isn’t good at it. When AI make dumb things, I just pretend I’ve hacked this enemy. Even when I had to manually fix some glitches, like frozen subtitles, muted sound of footsteps, or performance slowdown, it doesn’t break my immersion and doesn’t reduce my engagement. I don’t know why, probably because other aspects are so strong.

Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 could be better? Yes. Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 it needs to be better? It would be nice. Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 is incredible as it is? Absolutely! I’ve never played anything like this, and I’ll be comparing all future games to this one in so many ways. I will not say this definitively before I’ll play some other 2020 games, but currently it’s my GotY.

P.S. This post reflects just my own opinion based only on my own experience. I’m writing this not to tell everyone how they should think or feel, but to add my perspective in case someone is browsing this thread trying to decide whether to play this game or not.

• Banned

@b-cell Okay.
    But we aren't talking about Grand Theft Auto compared to Doom. We're talking about Cyberpunk 2077 compared to Doom.
    I guarantee if I randomly walked up to people on the street and asked them if they recognized Cyberpunk or Doom, Doom would win.

• PsOne demake.
    Youtube Video

• @phbz Keanu at the end reminds me of this.

Youtube Video

• Just noticed such a cool thing.

Had a side mission very early in the game, where I had to dissuade a police woman from an investigation. Now completely by chance I saw a dead cop under a pile of trash. Turns out that cop was one of the clients who wanted the investigation stopped and was murdered by the police woman as retaliation.

• @ffff0 said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 could be better? Yes. Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 it needs to be better? It would be nice. Do I think that Cyberpunk 2077 is incredible as it is? Absolutely!

This is pretty much how I feel but I don't think it’s incredible as-is. I’m having trouble enjoying it for what it is because I’m comparing it to other games on the market that do a lot of things better than Cyberpunk 2077 and it can be frustrating when CP2077 doesn’t hold a candle.

But then when I’m sucked into a quest and what I’m doing, I’m usually able to appreciate the game wounds and all. Time to time, I get reeled in and forget about reality, time, and all this other comparing. Those moments can happen and are amazing but too much shit brings me out of it.

One example is the mission when you have to rescue a friend with Judy from a Scav warehouse. I immediately hacked the cameras and found my friend about two floors down on video. Neither Judy nor V had any reaction to this. Likewise, there were only enemies on the first floor of the building.

As we go down each floor, Judy is talking about whether our friend is there or not, and it makes no sense because we can vividly see her on camera. Then she sees our missing friends top in a pile of clothes and comments about her being in this building. Like no shit WE SAW HER ON CAMERA! So we progress downward and suddenly there are lots and lots of enemies. Where were they when I was checking the cameras? These bottom floors were empty then. So basically, the game can’t load multiple floors of enemies so it spawns them in, which is a bit unfair when I hacked the cameras to find empty areas.

Just these little things keep taking me out. And some of these problems aren’t glitches either, it’s just questionable design. Why even have hacking if the world isn’t going to react to what you learn? But the world never really reacts to anything you do in this game. So again, I just have to reframe my mind to ignore it all, embrace the game for what it is and not what it isn’t, and take in the story, but I don’t think I’ll ever land on it being incredible.

However, I do look forward to my eventual return to the game with RTX for Photo Mode. Do you use Ansel or a camera mod?

• @dipset said in Cyberpunk 2077 (XBO/PS4/PC):

Do you use Ansel or a camera mod?

I'm using build-in photo mode.

• @ffff0

I somehow must've missed the photo mode. Whoops.

• @ffff0 we are on the same boat, and two of my best friends, who are playing on base PS4, have the same thoughts.

To me there's obviously a lot of criticism that can be thrown and the game and no doubt at how CDPR has managed things, which absolutely should be used as lessons for game devs and the public a like, but that can't overshadow the fact that this is one of my favorite role playing experiences I've ever had.

• @bard91 I was thinking about this today. Looks like PC market isn't big enough to support PC-only games of such scale, so developers must release games both on PC and consoles. But while PC gamers don’t expect 2020 games to run well on 2013 hardware, console gamers think that you can buy hardware that isn’t cutting edge in the year of its release and be set for nearly a decade. So, developers has to either limit innovations and build games around, let’s be honest, outdated technologies, or try to push gaming technology forward and be damned for doing so. Last year we had Control, this year we have Cyberpunk 2077. It’s not surprising that so few developers tries to push things significantly forward, but it’s also incredibly sad.

Something needs to be changed in the industry. Either consoles need to update quicker, or PC market needs to grow, or we need something completely new that would make big budget PC-only releases sustainable.