Starbound is HERE! (Sci-Fi Terraria 5 years in the making by Chucklefish)

• alt text

Starbound is an exploration 2D platformer in the same veins of Terraria, but in SPACE!
    A former Terraria dev, Tiyuri, split off to make his dream version of Terraia. He formed Chucklefish and got Starbound Kickstarted. Starbound was considered highly anticipated by a number of gaming media. It took a long time, but it's finally here.

A few features:

So who's hyped for the release? I've been waiting for this game since it's debut. This was my No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky was released, an epic sci-fi exploration game though different in terms of its emphasis on building. I love playing this game, and I tried the most recent version only to find out that it has a really cool singleplayer story mode, unlike Terraria.

This is one of my creations earlier in the days, a Helicarrier:
    alt text
    Super Hi Res version (

Also note that Chucklefish are also a publisher, and that they helped publish Stardew Valley.

• I'm sad no one is looking forward to this. :crying_cat_face:

• @Whoaness That's because so many have played it on it's earlier stages, that they didn't get what they wanted, so they left it altogether. Some people might get back now that it's finally fully coming out, but I wouldn't count on it too much. This is why you don't allow so many people to play it on early access/beta stages. You risk losing majority of your audience before the full game is out.

• I played it a ton with a couple of friends. It was a really solid game when they first launched on steam. I havn't touch it in like a year and a half, so I'm excited to play it again.

• @jipostus That's not necessarily true. Games constantly being played in Early Access have come out and had plenty of hype. For example, Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve were popular during the Early Access, and came out of the woodworks fairly popular at release.

Though there are games that make Early Access a stinker like Double Fine's Spacebase DF-9 and Psyonix's Nosgoth, both which came out in Early Access and got cancelled before seeing release due to poor reception from fans.

I think they will come back as the game is permanently in their Steam account. They just need a little reminder that it is coming out, and I'm sure being in the front page of Steam will help that out.

@MonsTruz Yup, you'll be amazed in the first few minutes with one huge change. That's for sure.

• I'm salty about Starbound. In the time since it first came out early access the devs have done nothing but flip flop around on balancing how the game plays. Meanwhile, in that time the game Terraria, that used to be extremely simplistic because a great full-fledged game in it's own right. Starbound's dev team is composed of almost nothing but pixel artists, and they have no clue what they're doing. It's a huge disappointing mess.

• @Mbun That's what Early Access is for. Playing their recent build, I think they finally have it down just right after years of figuring it out.

This game has far surpassed Terraria in my mind: better game design, has a single player story, more options for building, much more variety in pieces to build with. Being a pixel artist doesn't mean they can't become something else. Nomura was just a monster sprite artist, and now he has several great games under his belt as director.

• @Whoaness You don't understand. Terraria has fleshed out into a nice full experience of a game with lots of different areas, stages of play, items and systems, boss fights and enemies, etc. It has basically gone from being very simplistic to having lots of depth. In this same time, Starbound has done almost nothing. They've changed how stuff that already existed works around back and forth over and over instead of adding new things. Playing Starbound today 80% of what I run into during normal play is still the same assets I was running into Day 1 early access. They've shuffled stuff around and added some bells and whistles here and there, but the core experience is still a mess and lacking.

They haven't learned and they won't. Starbound is a nice game for an hour or two, but then you run into the same thing over and over. What's worse is the mining grinding for the high tier gear, something I've done at least five times by now through all the minor changes they've made. There's no end game, and the middle of the game is just a grind. There's no sense of accomplishment when you reach the end either. Starbound is only good for the exploration in the first couple hours of play, and that's only if you haven't touched it until now. Terraria is vastly different with lots of added reasons to go back and play if you haven't played it since it first came out. Their devs actually fleshed their game out.

• Forgot that this game existed, I bought it a couple years back since it reminded me of Terraria which I love, played it a few hours but it just never clicked. I'll look in to it some more now when it comes out.

• @Mbun That's not true at all. I don't know when you last played Starbound, but it has all that you said Terraria has. You said you ran into the same assets since Day 1, but they added this only 3 months ago.

alt text

Now I don't know how you can call that the same assets as before because that is brand new, and it absolutely blew me away about how cool the intro is. Not only did they add this 3 months ago, but about a year ago, they added a space colony that acts as a quest hub where you help the colony build up and complete quests for them. A number of these quests are straight up boss fights, and unlike Terraria, these boss fights can't be cheese by blocking them off and leaving little holes to shoot in. You are sent into a singleplayer mode stage where you can't build blocks and you can't mine blocks, so you actually have to play Starbound like a real 2D platformer. The best design decision yet since Terraria was just so boring with cheesy blocking everything when you're in danger, it actually has level design rather than relying on the world generation. Also, it's very clear how to get to these levels and bosses unlike Terraria, where you may or may not get an item, then you have to look up the wiki to figure out what to do. That's bad game design if you can't explain what to do ingame.

Let's talk about progression, because, unlike Terraria, Starbound not only has clear progression in its items where you get better minerals to build better gear, but the levels become progressively more hostile. You said you want stages of play, well first you start out in peaceful grasslands for your quest, then you travel to a jungle for your next part of the quest, then you have to dive deep into an underwater ocean to find what you need, after which you face a harsh snow world where there's no tauntauns to sleep in, and lastly, a volcanic world where it becomes really hard to mine without the right tools, and one wrong move with your mining and lava will destroy you. You changed sceneries about 8 times at this point, visiting 5 different civilizations, and all of them more difficult than before.

Finally, at the end of the 8-10 hour story mode (yes, it is that long), you will have saved the universe after your epic adventure. You will be so much more decked out compared to the beginning that it's clear that you are way more powerful. Your colony will have new, unique allies, with interesting personalities, that you fought with during your journey. It's so much more different than at the start of the game.

So it's very clear that Starbound has surpassed Terraria in all that you listed that I really think you should consider going back and trying it out again.

• @Whoaness Like I said in my previous post, the stuff like what you posted is merely a very tiny portion of the overall game. Instead of multiplying the amount of content in the game since early access launch they've only added a tiny sliver of new things that merely make up a small fraction of the overall game today. I've played this space colony quest hub, and it is nothing special. The missions they send you on are bland and often reuse assets from the planets too. What you're complaining about in Terraria with blocking off bosses can only be done with some bosses, and it's the sort of thing most players won't do unless they're really struggling with the boss so much that they decide to. Lots of bosses in Terraria do indeed go through walls. Even some regular enemies do later on. You say Starbound actually has level design instead of relying on world generation. It uses the exact same kind of procedurally generated planets featuring small pockets of preprepared content in the exact same way Terraria does with the exception of the small handful of completely premade story missions. Your comment about having to check a wiki for Terraria is completely out of touch. There are NPCs that will literally tell you exactly what you need to make items and the game points you in the direction of your next objective without forcing you to immediately pursue it.

Once again, I'm sorry but you are completely wrong in stating that Terraria's progression isn't as good or clear as Starbound's progression. In Terraria you start off very weak, vulnerable to everything, your weapons barely hurt the weakest enemies, and you can't go very far until you harvest what's around the areas you can access and craft it into tools that help you survive longer and fight tougher enemies. This is not even mentioning super helpful accessories that are a must for some areas, such as negating fall damage, giving temporary immunity to lava, or allowing flight. These items are game changers that vastly change how you play and how rough an area is to handle, and you have to choose between which ones you want to equip at once as accessory slots are limited. Meanwhile, here's progression in Starbound. Mine this ore for an hour. Turn it into this armor. Do it again. Keep doing it. Keep doing it until you've done it like ten times. Your talk about visiting different civilizations is simply you swapping between premade biomes, most of which were in the game since Day 1 early access. When you visit random planets not in the story, you will run into this same content over and over. There's only so many times you can explore the exact same desert temple before you get bored of it, whereas in Terraria finding tiny pockets of premade content is always as a good thing as they will most likely contain a chest with valuable accessories inside or gems or statues or other decorative goodies.

Story mode in Starbound is only that long because of all the time you have to spend grinding for gear. Calling it an epic adventure is way overboard. It's almost a checklist, fetch quests that allow you to fight the next boss that triggers the next stage of the story. I honestly have no clue what you're talking about with saying you get allies with interesting personalities aside from a couple models that pace back and forth and word bubble some dialogue now and then. In Terraria, the things you do impact the world, they move forward flags that change how difficult the world is, events that take place in it, bosses that are allowed to trigger, etc. For example, smashing some orbs in one biome triggers meteors to fall randomly somewhere in the world, you can then track down where they fell, which has became a new biome that spawns new creatures and mine the meteor if you can face the dangers of both the creatures and the red hot meteor itself to use the new material to create new items. You can also just leave it alone and head for a different biome with comparably similar level gear if you'd like.

So it's very clear you haven't played enough Terraria, and while I do generally agree Starbound does a small handful of things better, such as lighting, race lore, and that's about it, Starbound still hasn't progressed as a game in the time since launch nearly as much as Terraria has since it first launched. The devs have sorta finally put some content out so they can claim the game has a progression now and wipe their hands clean of the responsibility of adding a story to the game, but it's a very linear, shallow experience compared to what you get from Terraria's progression that is heavily discovery based with some minor stops for building to accommodate new NPCs who join the village you build from the ground up or simply themed houses you stick wherever you like, because you can pretty much tell them to go anywhere as long as it counts as a house. See that floating island? You're living up there now. It's safer from these crazy invasions that happen from time to time.

It's not even like I hate hate Starbound. I'm just very disappointed in the devs and how little they've done since launch. I'm disappointed in the balance decisions they've made along the way and how much easier the game is now than it was at launch. I'm most disappointed that they never fixed the mining for ore grind at all, and that's the main thing you'll be spending most of that game doing. You could argue the main thing you spend most of Terraria doing is searching for accessories either through fighting enemies or looking for treasure chests, but man is that a hell of a lot more fun than sticking your cursor on a rock and waiting for it to pop out for you to collect.

• @Mbun Eh, I spent a couple hundred hours on Terraria. I know what I'm talking about.
    It has no direction. Starbound does. That makes Starbound's design a lot better.

You're talking about ore grind, but that's in Terraria too, so I really don't understand why you have that problem in Starbound when Terraria is all about mining for ore.

• @Whoaness I've also spent alot of time in both games if you want to pull that card. You can't just say it has no direction when I've told you about the direction it has already. Starbound's "direction" is just a forced linear story. That's not better at all.

There's hardly any ore grind in Terraria, because enemies drop a bunch of ores too, so you're not always just mining for the next thing. Bombs also make your life much nicer. There's a little mining at the beginning, but you're doing it in small chunks, not dedicating an hour to mining.

• @Mbun A linear story is design, it is direction. It's not this "sandbox" look up a wiki on what to do ala Minecraft because the designers were too lazy to even make a real game. It's just a fact that you don't know what to do in Terraria if you don't look it up, and that's bad.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I look it up right now, and there are 21 tiers of ores in Terraria. How can you say there's no mining? And there's bombs in Terraria too. How about the Hardmode boss, then? How can you switch to Hardmode if you don't mine down to the hell level? Of course there's a ton of mining in Terraria. You get a pickaxe to start with. You can't say it's not an ore grind.

And I could say the same thing in Starbound. You don't have to mine. Chests loot contain some amount of ores, and ores are visible on the surface. There's also an alternative ore vendor if you complete a quest in the space colony that you can buy with pixels that drop off enemies. Don't need to mine except for the first time to get core fragments.

• @Whoaness Just talk to the NPCs if you don't know what to do. Wiki is 100% not required. Saying it's not a real game because it isn't linear like Starbound is so backwards.

You get some of those ores as drops from enemies, and the rest you mine in small spread out pockets. You're not constantly just mining unless you choose to. You follow random pregenerated caves full of enemies, hazards, traps, and treasure. Starting with a pickaxe is just to help you get going. It's not hours and hours of ore grind like Starbound when you're digging for no reason other than to make the next tier of armor.

I don't know about that alternative ore vendor, so maybe that helps, but every single time I've played it's turned into a massive cycle of grinding for ore that takes hours upon hours. I imagine that vendor is probably so expensive that it's still faster to mine for hours. The rare chests in Starbound will contain maybe 2-5 pieces of ore when you need like 80 if not more.

We're just going back and forth now. Might as well let the people decide. Only reason I've even spoke out against Starbound from the start is that it was such a disappointment, both at launch and years later. Terraria wasn't great in it's early day, but it's become a fine game in the time since. I wish I could say that about Starbound, but the devs actually have no idea what they're doing.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.