Devil May Cry 5 (XBO/PS4/PC)

• Global Moderator

I should write up a bit on this as I finished it before flying out to the meetup.

The quick thing I'll say is I had a blast playing the game, loved how wacky it was and even dug some of the story beats even if it is mostly nonsense. Dante and Nero are an absolute blast to play while I wasn't huge on V personally as I just found it felt extremely button mashy.

Plan is to come back at some stage and play on Son of Sparda as the highest difficulty was just too easy I felt.

• Bloody Palace is out now!

• Finally got around to actually starting the game, just finished mission 3. It's pretty great so far! I didn't realize how much I missed this series, there's a unique feel to the DMC games that is very much present here. I might be able to blast through this game in the next couple days, so I'm all set for the weekend.

• Whew, finally finished the game. The middle part felt a bit dragged out for me, but man the last few levels made up for it. Great ending! Enjoyed the story overall, it never slowed the gameplay for me which is crucial in these kind of games. The character interactions are great, especially anything involving Dante.

I'm really impressed by how fun each character are gameplay-wise. Dante has got to be my favorite character to play here (switching around styles and weapons on the fly is just too fun), although Nero's relatively simple choice of sword, revolver, and mechanical arm speaks to me the most. I wish you can switch around the devil breakers freely, that would make it way more fun for me. I never really got the hang of his exceed mechanic (wish I'm good enough for that). Trying to equally divide my concentration to three things when playing with V is a exciting change of pace. You can button-mash more with him though, which is still fun but takes the excitement out a bit.

This is not just the comeback that the series needed, but also the one that might give the older games a run for it's money. Bravo, Capcom.

Also, I need to say that I love the synth music part that opens as Nero's arm is shown every time the title screen starts, and the little neat detail of how the glass is broken at the end of each level changes depending on which character you're playing.

• @bam541
    Glad you enjoyed! This is a comeback for DMC and Capcom as a whole. All they need to do now is not fuck up Street Fighter 6, and bring back some of the other IPs that hadn't used since the 90s/early 2000s.

The synth music you hear is actually the classic Capcom jingle from the 16-bit era.

Here's the link: https://picosong.com/w6Ne4/

• @brawlman I'm honestly blown away by that neat detail, it would be so cool if they actually made a new Capcom logo screen with that synth rendition.

• I’m just gonna throw my hat in the ring with this God of War talk.

I’m 50-50 on it. It was a great game no doubt but my complaints are less about it’s storytelling and a lot more about the XP progression system. Despite how video gamey they red orbs were in the original trilogy, I felt like a badass monster out the gate in 1-3 whereas GOW 2018 only picked up for me when you unlock “both weapons” and you are very upgraded. It gets speedier and more aggressive at that point. I also didn’t like the looooong sections like the Ferry world.

With all that said, and relating it back to PlayStation 5, God of War 2018 is all setup to be frank. The end hints at shit getting CRAZY CRAZY in the next game. Not that they couldn’t have gone bigger with GOW on PS4, but between new hardware and narrative, GOW II on PS5 will obviously be on a huge scale. I’m willing to put money on that.

• @dipset yo, I think you posted this on the wrong topic...

• @bam541

LOOOOOOoool mobile.... sorry

• Just bought it, it's on sale on the EU PS Store.

I might not get to it immediately, still gotta finish FF VII, but probably next week.

It'll be my first DMC game so I'm curious how I'll like it.

• Incase no one saw it there's a new DLC arm for Nero that's free.

• @dmcmaster link?

• @tearju-engi
    PSN store or XBL
    Monkey Business

• Started playing it last night, it's my first Devil May Cry so the video recapping the story so far was very appreciated!

I played through the first couple chapters and I feel like I'm struggling with the controls, I can't reliably pull off the moves I want, but I'm still pushing through and getting decent marks. That's something I never liked in Bayonetta, completing a level and being slapped with a big "D" takes away the feeling of achievement, like I didn't really win. But I'll get over it. Having the Void to practice is a very cool feature and I'll make use of it to improve.

The story and banter is enjoyable, although I find the voice of Nico very odd, like her accent is forced and inconsistent, also much deeper than her appearance would suggest. is it just me?

But I can tell it's gonna be a fun ride. The first boss fight was great (although I'm not sure I was fighting him the "right" way), and I'm intrigued with where the story's gonna go!

• @axel You'll get better with practice. The flaw with how you gain style points is worse compared to past games. Style points are based on a cumulative score scale for whatever reason. Also, certain enemies are worth more style points than the others. For example if you got a consistent SSS in one section, but only got to an A, it will hurt your overall average. Why they decided to do it this way is beyond me and really stupid. Some fights with regular enemies, if possible, you are better off skipping or avoiding altogether to maintain your high average.

• Other than the spectacular presentation I was kind of disappointed with this game. Good just not great.