Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PS4/XBO/PC)

• I never took an real interest in the AC series before. I played the first game (which i liked), the one on the PSP (pretty good game), and AC 3 (i absolutely hated it). Origins looks more interesting to me, but i still skipped it just because i had a bad feeling about it. But now that there's a romance system in this game i'm actually kinda intrigued to try it, that addition (and the fact that you have more freedom with your character in general) makes it an anomaly in the franchise, one which i welcome. I hope they execute those ideas well enough in the main game.

• The main theme is out. It paints an enticing picture.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Legend of the Eagle Bearer (Main Theme) | The Flight

Youtube Video

• "Watch the first episode of "Behind The Odyssey!" In this episode, our developers discuss how the player's choices make big changes that determine how your Odyssey is written!"

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Ep. 1 - RPG Mechanics | Behind the Odyssey | Ubisoft [NA]
    Youtube Video

• No new AC in 2019. Instead, we'll see Odyssey getting DLC stories. Which I'm okay with, as with Origins it worked well and l Iiked returning to Bayek after a while.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-22-assassins-creed-will-take-a-year-off-in-2019

• because in 2019 there will be watch dogs 3 and maybe annualization of far cry.

• @b-cell Far Cry hasn't been an annual series, I don't think they'd release a new one after only a year. Watch Dogs 3, on the other hand, I'd welcome in an instant. WD2 was really good.

• @sentinel-beach Yeah Ubisoft has been pretty against series annualization since AC Syndicate shit the bed. Clearly making the push into games as a service.

• Renaissance Italy still blows my mind from AC II. Now I really want to try Ancient Greece. I don't know what else I could want more than those two settings. Glad it's happening at a time when the developers are crafting a more interesting game than they had been in the past.

• @sentinel-beach
    I'll give WD3 a shot, was pleasantly surprised by WD2 as it basically improved on everything from the first game and I feel that it gave the franchise a bit or of a identity then the first presented.

Although I'm calling it now the 2020 game will be Assassins Creed Ragnarok and be about Vikings.

• @dmcmaster said in Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PS4/XBO/PC):

@sentinel-beach

Although I'm calling it now the 2020 game will be Assassins Creed Ragnarok and be about Vikings.

Until this moment I would have said I wanted the next game to be Japan... but now I will be disappointed if you aren't right. I'd love to play a stealthy viking.

• @dipset Been listening to the Ezio trilogy soundtrack lately. Jesper Kyd is godlike. The soundtrack for those games really elevated the experience.

• Recently watched some game play of this and I am really excited for the RPG elements in this. I am glad that they decided to change their model for the AC games. I heard Origins was amazing, but never had the time to play it. Should I skip Origins and go straight to this since it releases so soon? I love ancient Greece and the history behind it.

• @cptcobblepot These games are so huge that I wouldn't play them too close to each other. And the way you're writing about Greece makes it sound that that should be your next goal, Odyssey that is.

But do keep Origins in your mind as well! I loved the Egypt there and the new approach to the whole series it provided. It's my GOTY 2017, essentially, I've come to realize. It's a shame EZA didn't warm up to it too much. The way they reacted to Odyssey's many intricacies during E3 made me yell in my head "that was already in Origins, guys!". Well, better late than never, I guess, if Odyssey is now what gives the series a new spark in many people's mind.

• @sentinel-beach That was the issue I was debating. The games take a lot of time to invest in, which isn't a bad thing, but I have other games I want to play.

It is a shame that people were 50/50 on this. From what I hear, Origins is the game that truly redefined the AC games. Watching game play shows that Odyssey takes the majority of its mechanics from Origins. I will probably give it a shot once I play/finish Odyssey. I heard they are skipping releasing a game next year, so I could always go back.

• @cptcobblepot Origins is amazing. Tons of fun, and tons to do.

But I would say at this point to just wait and play Odyssey. Once you finish that, and you want more, then there's always Origins for later.
    Assassin's Creed games are so much about the location, so go with the one that appeals to you the most.

• @faaip From what I've been reading, it seems like that might be a mistranslation, that what was intended to be said is that a completionist route through the game will take around 100 hours - which to be fair is still a lot, but it sounds way more reasonable than the thought of an AC's game story lasting that length.

• @sabotagethetruth Yeah I was wondering that. A hundred hours to completion makes more sense for sure

• Yeah I was thinking about that as well. That there will be 100 hours worth of story, not the main story. Meaning all the (side) quests around the Greek Islands included etc. This sounds really intimidating, but I think I'm up to the challenge. The completionist in me is like standing on the foot of a giant mountain, looking up, way up. And then there's a smile.

• A really great preview from Bloodworth:
    Youtube Video

I really like those dialogue choices, the fact that there seems to be so many of them, no matter how tiny, even. It makes things immediately much, much more personal. (I'll let them kill that sick family. Sorry!) And the new special powers with the four face buttons in combat seems cool, choosing the ones you like.

This'll be an enormous game, but I'll first play RDR2. Odyssey for Christmas, then. Or from Black Friday sales.