Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC)

• @sheria said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

@b-cell said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

@sheria said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

I've put a good 4 hours in now and I must say, they have done a really good job here.

Better than RE7??

Maybe, or at least on par.

atleast its better than RE4. a game i hate alot.

• Finished Claire's 1st run. Surprisingly hard game though I played really badly at times since I didn't try the demo.
    About 90 handgun and 8 magnum ammo and 2 herb mixes was what I have left on my consume inventory
    C for Claire since I saved a lot and took time to finish. 2-3 rooms left unfinished checking.

• Just finished Leon A scenario, gonna take a small break before hopping into Claire B.
    Afterwards should be able NG+ a Claire A/Leon B Scenario

• Scenario B felt a little...rushed to me. Disappointed with the few differences, reused puzzles and the overall lack of influence the first scenario has on the second.

3 hours 14 minutes and 1 save for Claire B. Played easy difficulty this time, but still got an S+ (not sure what the plus indicates yet) and also unlocked Hunk. Going by the original and other RE games, I shouldn't be able to get the highest rank playing on easy, let alone unlock 4th survivor. Oh well.

I want to speed run the exact same scenarios on Standard next, maybe even twice to get a solid and effective route along with committing all the puzzle solutions to memory. I'll try Hardcore difficulty then. I'm not really that interested in seeing Claire A/Leon B, I'd rather work on perfecting the ones I just did.

• Haven't started Claire's B scenario yet, but just sitting and thinking on the game. This feels more like the breath of Life RE needed when compared to RE7.
    Tension is high and hardly ever let's up except for the sparse few safe rooms, enemies are almost always a threat and reinforces picking what enemies are worth keeping alive, and which ones are worth killing.
    No cheap tactic with the enemies (molded couldn't open doors)
    The only part of the game that drags it down a bit is the big flesh room.

• @b-cell Why do you hate it?

• @dmcmaster said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

No cheap tactic with the enemies

All mine seem to work 95% of the time. All zombies on my second run now have been a simple pop to the head with the handgun while running in order to stun them, and then just going straight past them. Mr X lost all his threat when I realised it's just a case of running at him to bait the right hook, step back and then run past every time. The Lickers have their old tactic still work and will never follow you through a door, if you have a room with both zombies and lickers, you shoot the zombie and go through a door. The zombie will slowly burst through allowing for an easy kill or avoid and then your just free to walk on by.

RE2 is more my type of game, it retains way more of the traditional elements than either RE4 or RE7, that said RE7 was different and good enough in its own way that I have a hard time comparing them directly in terms of quality. In terms of tension, unfortunately both RE7 and now this lost it all once it came my second playthrough. I'm paused on the last boss at the moment, but this run had zero tension for me outside a little chaos on the bosses still.

• @el-shmiablo
    "It be follow trends, it no good shooty shoot game "

• Managed to get both S ranks today

Leon A - 2:46
    Claire B - 2:19

Managed to snag the trophy for less than 14000 steps too. Really disappointed to find out that it's only time taken now that counts towards your end ranking though, I was still deliberately not using first aid sprays as well. I want to try either Hardcore or a no healing run tomorrow.

• Resident Evil 2 is an amazing game let alone remake. The formula of Resident Evil needs to exist more in today's landscape. Some critics call its systems dated but I tend to mostly disagree. The Metroidvania style games are popping up around every corner but few 3D games are doing backtracking, unlocking new areas, intertwined world. I think of my favourite 3D games and they all do it: Resident Evil, God of War, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Riddick, Batman Arkham Asylum. RE2 is what I wish more games were.

With that said, somebody at Capcom needs to have a better sense of quality control in these boss battles. Resident Evil 7 and now RE2 have atrocious boss battles that are fine on paper but the game does play as tight as the developers think. They aren't the worst thing in the world but I'm surprised back to back RE games have bad bosses. I think back to the first battle with Jack Baker with the chainsaw in RE7. The game is so slow and sluggish that he's stuck to you like glue. The system for beating him is fine but the movement is horrible and is what gets you killed.

Now I see in RE2, we have the boss battle with

Birkin in the sewers where you need to hit him with the shipping container three times.

Easy enough on paper but dodging him is nearly impossible because of how slow Leon moves. Same goes for zombies in doorways when you don't have ammo. You essentially MUST take a hit and lose 1/3 of your health. This game desperately needs a dodge or roll mechanic because it is just unfair that you NEED to take hits at times.

You get into scenarios sometimes where you can asses where you are, where you need to go, how much ammo you have or don't have, how much health you have, how many green herbs you have or don't have, then look at a map and know where enemies are and how you physically cannot get past them without getting hit. This means you can actually see on a map how far you can go before dying and there is nothing you can do about it.

A dodge or the ability to turn on a dime like The Evil Within 2 would be a great thing to patch in.

Still haven't completed my first playthrough. Hardcore mode with Leon has taken me roughly 7 or 8 hours so far and I'm still not done. Tyrant made me spend and hour in one section just moving the book shelves because of bad luck and lack of health. Still wouldn't trade that time spent for an easier mode. I like survival games to feel difficult. The Last of Us Part II, please be this hard on Hard mode.

@dmcmaster said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

Kinda hate to say it but RE3Make might need a dodge mechanic like RE6 or Revalations 2.

Ah there we go! Somebody else who agrees. Resident Evil 3 Remake is inevitable (in my opinion) - FYI, the EB Games near me sold out of the game on XBO and I got the third last copy on PS4. This EB Games had GTA V, MGS V, and Monster Hunter World in stock day 1 with no shortage of copies, so I like to think this series is gonna keep being remade. But anyways, I hope they add this into RE2. Leon's movement is mostly fine except near stairwells, ladders, and small rooms with furniture, and especially doorways. I don't think they'll patch that in tbh.

• @dipset said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

A dodge or the ability to turn on a dime like The Evil Within 2 would be a great thing to patch in.

Wait...
    Did they take quick turn out? Like you can't just hit down+X anymore?

• @el-shmiablo

No you can do the 180 degree quick turn like RE4, 5, 6, 7. I mean more like, sprinting or zig zagging. Not that I want my survival horror games to replicate Ezekiel Elliot's ability to run with a football, but they need to meet me somewhere in the middle. You should be able to run past without getting bit all the time.

• Global Moderator

This sounds much cooler than I expected

• @dipset said in Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4/XB1/PC):

Now I see in RE2, we have the boss battle with

Birkin in the sewers where you need to hit him with the shipping container three times.

Easy enough on paper but dodging him is nearly impossible because of how slow Leon moves. Same goes for zombies in doorways when you don't have ammo. You essentially MUST take a hit and lose 1/3 of your health. This game desperately needs a dodge or roll mechanic because it is just unfair that you NEED to take hits at times.

You get into scenarios sometimes where you can asses where you are, where you need to go, how much ammo you have or don't have, how much health you have, how many green herbs you have or don't have, then look at a map and know where enemies are and how you physically cannot get past them without getting hit. This means you can actually see on a map how far you can go before dying and there is nothing you can do about it.

I can't say that fits in with my playthroughs at all, especially my current one (no healing items) as I literally just took down G-3 and haven't taken a single hit yet. All the bosses have well telegraphed attacks, it's usually telling you which arm/side you want to choose to run past it, or it's telling you to make distance, something that's actually extremely easy to do in this game as you actually can immediately turn, and all the while keeping the camera on your target as well, in fact the actual 180 turn by pressing circle and back seems useless as it's really not your friend here.
    G-2 is a little annoying, agreed, mainly because your space is so limited, but he also goes down on his knees really easy and it also gives you another flash bang and knife right there in the room which are a great help for stunning him for the crate.

There's no corridor or room I can look at where I know i'll get hit. Zombies are really easy to bypass with either one or two pops to the head to stagger them for a moment, Lickers you just walk slowly past, dogs take a little while to learn, but you soon see patterns in their movement you can zig zag them quite easily, and Ivy's? well they are just a matter of one pop to the weak spot and run on by.
    There are also those fleshy monsters in the sewers, but they are really easy to manipulate. If they are floating in front of you, you just shoot them once to wake them up. You then have a number of options: if they do their charge/grab, run backwards until you see it finish and then you're free to run on by, if you see the arm suddenly sprout to fire creatures at you, again that's a free pass to run past, or you can just use a ledge. Any ledge you get up on will cause it to sink back in, lure it to one and it's another easy pass.
    Zombies in doors are also very easy to manipulate, just slowly open the door a bit to alert it and then go back in, you know then that it's going to rattle the door a few times before bursting in, just line up the headshot ready, take one shot and run past. No ammo? just use the space in your current room to kite the damn things and waltz on by.

Most frustrating part on my first playthrough was admittedly the library puzzle with Mr X on your ass, but that doesn't happen anymore, the room can be set up & prepared in such a way to make it a breeze for when the time comes.

• I'm going to post a really unpopular opinion.
    I wish that RE still had coop. I loved playing RE5 coop with my pals and have always wanted a more horror focused game to experience that again.

• @sheria

I hear what you're saying but you kinda sound like you're at virtuoso levels here. I'm only human. But one example that I can't avoid are the doorways. If a zombie is banging on a door, there isn't a kick to push him away. He bites you cause you can't get through otherwise, then the camera spazzes out cause it can't decide on hallway or the room you're coming from, then Tyrant stands there waiting for you to get up after being chewed on and swings on you.

I've also had experiences with getting bitten and immediately getting grabbed by the same zombie. I didn't even have enough time to go anywhere. Based on this game being survival and having only one save, there are a million and one scenarios that can play out differently for everybody and sometimes, I don't have ammo, a zombie chases me one way, the Tyrant the other way, and I'm stuck behind a shelf and have nowhere to juke or dodge.

It isn't bad bad. I just wish the movement was tighter. Resident Evil 7 was worse. I had to crank the sensitivity in that game.

• To be fair, I can't really say what my first playthrough would have been like playing on hardcore right off the bat, who knows. I do however believe that if you played it all the way through a few more times, you might actually see how some of your initial points aren't necessarily the case.

It's true though, you can easily get chased or backed into a corner where you're kinda … screwed. I'm not sure if I'm all that on board with more abilities though as I don't really want to see it more action orientated than this already is, I'm more into the forward planning than on the spot tactics.

If a zombie is banging on a door, there isn't a kick to push him away. He bites you cause you can't get through otherwise,

If he's banging, he's going to burst through so isn't he? Unless Mr X is right on your tail, I can't think of many scenarios where you can't assess and manipulate the room in order to get by without getting into a fight.

• @dipset
    I'm pretty positive RE3 is coming, possibly even next year if the time frame of development I've heard is true (RE3 having been greenlit early 2017)
    And considering between RE7 and RE2 they've probably got enough assets to get RE3 out next year.
    It's also the only game left not made on Criware or some version of MT Framework

• I actually think bossfights are pretty fair in this game so far. Even playing on normal and easy you can see there are definitely some pro strats you could do. Lure your enemies work well and sometimes running can save you from a grab but it is hard. And prepping can save you from other situations. Crowded zombies are probably worst situations you can end up with and grenade is super effective in those situations. I almost always go for headshot but aiming for limbs is viable especially to gather them in a pile to blow them all away. I was surprised plant monsters were easy to kill with handgun too. Also knife is good...really good.

I would love to have RE3 because it showed much more of Raccoon City and dodge button was really clutch. I do hope it has a separate button instead the same as shooting like in original.

• 3 hours in... 0 bullets for the guns i have and had to kill a licker with a knife, i love this game.