Fallout 76 (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Noticed we don't have a topic for this game yet so I figured I'd get the ball rolling.

Like a lot of the world, I'm a little weary with the game taking a more multiplayer focus but I can't help but be excited with the prospects that could potentially open up. I've just finished watching a playthrough of the first game and decided to look into the timeline of Fallout, which is known for being pretty dense. This game is set in 2102, the earliest in the timeline for any Fallout game. Something that I find really fascinating about that year is that is the year the Master, the main antagonist of the first Fallout and creator of Super Mutants, is "born". Geographically, he's becoming a menace near Los Angeles and 76 takes place in West Virginia but.... I feel like the game taking place in that year has to be more than a coincidence. Who knows though, the plot in this one might be extremely minimal.

So what about you all? Thoughts, impressions?

• Also, it's rare we get a high quality doc about a game before it's released, so here's something to celebrate.

Youtube Video

• The Noclip documentary is top notch, if you haven't watched it you might want to because they talk a bit more about what's the game going to be like, and from the sound of it, it's a pretty interesting game.

Anyway, my hype of all things Fallout naturally drew me into this game, but i'm kinda worried about the plot too. I'm probably going to play lone wolf the whole way through, so i'm counting on that to make my experience enjoyable. Since it's a rural environment, there's probably going to be a less amount of terminals, which provided the best stories in Fallout 4, so i don't know how they going to pull off the story this time. I guess if the story does disappoint, the encounters with other people should be interesting too.

• @bam541 I've got a bunch of friends on board, so I imagine I'll be playing alone and with friends (when schedules permit). For me, I've always found the main plot of most Bethesda games to be pretty forgettable, but some of their side quests are great, so I'm curious how much "motivation" they provide there, beyond just wanting to get better gear. What I truly hope is they focus on storytelling through location, like finding a vault and uncovering documents and audio logs stating what happened there.

I also think it's super important how much they're emphasizing the size of the map. Normally, I don't care when a developer mentions "this is our largest game yet!" but I feel like it's integral to the flow of this particular game. Doing a quick check online, you can cross the map in Fallout 4 in about 41 minutes. If 76 is 4x as large, that's nearly 3 hours in real world time JUST to cross the map, provided you don't get distracted by anything along the way. That should make player encounters rare and intimate and makes me wonder how exactly I personally am going to handle interactions. Do I go the Huber route and mention I have no quarrel? Or do I murder everyone mercilessly for fun? Outside of the MMO realm, those sort of decisions don't really exist in games right now.

Watching that excellent Noclip documentary, one thing that really resonated with me is how much Todd said they want to take chances instead of playing it safe. Listening to the team working on this game, their heads are in the right place and I just hope they can maintain their philosophy as the game launches, grows, and new content begins to hit.

• @sabotagethetruth Now that you mention it, i think i'm gonna go the Huber route, let's see how long i can last lol.

That's my favorite thing about Todd and crew, their desire to take chances. Fallout 4 took some chances too, like the voiced protagonist. Many of those changes obviously turned out not so well, but i figure it's much interesting this way. I just hope they can learn from their mistakes properly.

• I'm super excited for it! I just like to explore these worlds and rarely interact with npcs or story anyway so this might be better for me :P

• I'm always excited about new ideas. I would love to see how this turns out... I would love to see RP servers as well. That'd be so cool.

• Here's the live panel Bethesda did at QuakeCon days ago about Fallout 76. I haven't watched it myself but i did catch some little things they talk about from other sources and it sounds very cool.

Youtube Video

Also, they released a fun video about their card-based perks system. Don't worry, it has been confirmed that the card are not going to be obtainable through microtransactions.

Youtube Video