Unskippable cutscenes

• cannot stand them. and as a matter of fact, if i encounter one, it's immediately back to the store with whatever game it is im playing

im sorry: if im forced to sit through a cutscene, am i not instead watching an animated movie?

video games as we once knew them are largely dead. what exists today is a form of hybrid partially-interactive entertainment

in a game today you might:

• play the game
    • watch an animated movie in the form of a cutscene
    • read text as if the game were a book through dialogue or one of those pick-up journal entries like in the resident evil series
    • listen to what is essentially a podcast of one or more voice actors delivering their lines, like in the car rides of the GTA series, roaming about in TLOU hearing Joel and Ellie speak, or picking up an audio log in some RPG
    • do something completely different from what the game is supposed to be about. having fun with an action game? can't progress until you solve this puzzle. enjoying your cover based shooter? too bad finish this vehicle mission first drive over there

what are we doing here? does a board game need a story to be fun too?

do you guys also hate it when you're playing a video game and then realize that someone left their animated movie in it

or do you acknowledge that you aren't actually playing a video game, but instead are enjoying this new combination of art forms we call video games

• Some of my favorite games are highly cinematic and narrative driven. For instance, I don't mind losing control in God of War for a minute to watch Kratos crack mountains in two. I'm also really enjoying playing Detroit with my fiance. Really neat seeing the changes in each of our stories.

You sound like you are real fun at parties

• See, I am the exact opposite. When a friend starts clicking through cut-scenes or mashing their way through text, it drives me up a wall. at least, if its the first time they are playing the game. If I've played a game a few times and am already familiar with the story I'll just click on through or if its unclickable, go make a sandwich. For me, story is intrinsically linked to video games, it's why i play them, and no matter how that story is delivered (cut-scene, audio drop, notes, or even QTEs) if I enjoy the story I'll stick it out.

For some games; Overwatch, PUBG, Dark Souls, etc some light lore is enough but if you've got a big game with a big narrative then I'm gonna need some context before I go adventuring. Even the original Mario had a paper-thin narrative, you're helping Mario rescue a Princess and it came complete with psuedo cut-scenes in the form of Toad telling you that "The princess is in another castle."

Without a story, whats the point of a video game? To Win? I'll play tic-tac-toe with my 6 year old nephew if I just want to win at something. So I'll watch my animated movie and be happy, worked in Xenosaga. But to each their own and FYI some board games do have narratives or stories to them, maybe not all but some.

Side-note: what ticks me off about cut-scenes is when i absolutely destroy a boss and then they do a cut-scene where I lose anyway. What the hell is the point of that? Just do a cut-scene where i lose and lets move on.

• They suck for further playthroughs when you just want to go trophy hunting or unlock something, but on my 1st playthrough of course I watch them all, they are part of the game.

• Sounds to me like you hate any game with a story, which frankly means you don't like 90% of games. Games like The Last of Us and God of War are so critically acclaimed because of their brilliant stories.

Also, I wouldn't say games as we once knew them are dead. They simply evolved. I'm sure there are plenty of indie or multiplayer games for you to enjoy, such as Stardew Valley or Fortnite.

• @musou-tensei said in Unskippable cutscenes:

but on my 1st playthrough of course I watch them all, they are part of the game.

Hard disagree with respect. the game is the interactivity. the cutscenes are a movie, a separate entity within the disc

• Doesn't bother me too much these days as most cutscenes are skippable or you only have to watch them once. Back in the PS2 days is a different story. Many a time you have to sit through a 15 minute cut scene fight a boss that wipes you out in seconds only to have to repeat until your controller gets thrown across the room. PS fuck you Onimusha water puzzle.

• @david-berishaj said in Unskippable cutscenes:

@musou-tensei said in Unskippable cutscenes:

but on my 1st playthrough of course I watch them all, they are part of the game.

Hard disagree with respect. the game is the interactivity. the cutscenes are a movie, a separate entity within the disc

True, but that interactivity without the context those "movies" provide the game is pointless. Sure they could deliver those story beats another way: Bioshocks audio logs, Dark Souls notes,...etc. But I think with a big game, to deliver exposition, you gotta have cutscenes.

• @david-berishaj This is just incorrect... well with a few exception like some Metal Gear games maybe that really overdo it, but the definition of a movie is

According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the American Film Institute, and the British Film Institute, a feature film runs for at least 40 minutes, while the Screen Actors Guild holds that it is 80 minutes or longer. Most feature films are between 70 and 210 minutes long.

That's why we call them cutscenes. Also today's cuscenes really are just advanced versions of the ones from the 16 bit era that many JRPGs had for example.Ever played Final Fantasy VI? That had some lenghty cutscenes, this is nothing new, just the way how it's done has changed due to advances in technology.

• @musou-tensei all of the cutscenes combined are a movie is what i meant musou. and game devs shouldn't force you to watch their fruity little movies in order to play the game

• @musou-tensei lol this guy defines movies. The cutscenes these days are too much! Need more authentic gameplay.

• There's no good reason cutscenes shouldn't be skippable. I know people like them, but not everyone does. For example I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Freedom Planet as much if it didn't have a mode that explicitly skipped them. Why shouldn't developers give more options to the players? You wanna watch all the cutscenes in one go like a movie, that's cool. You wanna skip them all and just do the gameplay, sure.

What really boils my piss though is less the normal cutscenes and those "walk and talk" ones that are clearly just masking loading screens. Cut that shit out, nobody likes it and it's blatantly obvious what you're doing.

• @david-berishaj No, if you would put together all cutscenes from a game and watch that like you'd watch a movie, in most cases you would have a very different feel since there will be many jump cuts and the stuff that happens between the cutscenes wouldn't be explained, it would be a confusing mess is many cases.
    Don't get me wrong, I do think all cutscenes should be pausabe and skippable, I just don't get why people who don't care about the story just play storyless games. Like I always enjoy the gameplay of the Yakuza games (which give you the option to pause and skip btw), but it's the story and characters and how it's protrayed in the well acted cutscenes that really makes them memorable. Still, playing Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan kinda proves my earlier point, since the game is only in japanese and I used subtitled custcenes on youtube I still didn't got everything from the story because I still missed a lot of stuff that happens during gameplay, just watching the cutscenes like a movie simply doesn't work well because they are only a part of a bigger experience that is created to be consumed as a whole.

• @david-berishaj thats the sony template
    3rd person, over the shoulder cutscene experiences
    its always pretentious western devs that do this, don't know why

• I love good cutscenes, and i love good gameplay parts. A bad cutscene is the same as a bad gameplay part for me, so i don't mind that game developers show off their cinematography skills as long as it's meaningful and entertaining. Games are a very unique medium, where reducing it's playability (which separates games from other mediums) doesn't necessarily means reducing it's quality, at least for me. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that.

Unskippable cutscenes suck though, i agree on that.

• Global Moderator

This seems like a very strange take as this has essentially been the case since consoles existed. There were an insane amount of text adventures, point and click games, JRPGS etc and they have everything they you mention you hate. The only difference now is you have an abundance of choice to avoid them if you dislike them that much.

You mention being forced by devs to watch their movie. You could just not play that game. There are more than enough impressions and reviews out there that this shouldn't really be an issue.

• Back in my day, we used to walk to school in the snow and our games didn't play themselves!

I'd point to examples like Bioshock where the story is mostly told through the characters you interact with and the audio logs you find (which I believe was the first use of this device?) but that was compared to.. a podcast. I'd mention the Fallout series and how it uses items in the environment to paint a picture of what happened in that particular area, but they always open with a cutscene so... guess those fly out the window too.

It's honestly odd to me to look at context and say that's somehow ruining your experience of something. I could sit here and play Kaboom! on Atari and marvel at how quick and frenetic the gameplay is, how the difficulty ramps up, how I've got to hone my reflexes. Once I turn that system off, what am I left with? The impression that I had fun. Cool, what else? And there lies the problem to me, story makes anything have more meaning, even if the story isn't too great. Ellie talking to Joel isn't a podcast, she's talking about a thought she had in her head, a memory that just resurfaced, she's becoming a character that is relatable. If The Last of Us was "kill as many zombies as you can and maybe end up on a leaderboard," why would any of us care beyond the initial fun factor? How many people have felt an emotional impact at the beginning and ending of that game (during cutscenes)?

I'll just come out right and say it - thinking games should be strictly gameplay and nothing else is very short-sighted and undersells what the medium can accomplish as an art form. I think there's still a lot of room for growth in the realm of storytelling and how that intertwines with interactivity, but to completely dismiss entire games because you didn't control anything for a few minutes? Patience is a virtue, so they say.

Also, board games with stories are immensely more engrossing, hence why that particular market continues to blow up.

• I'm okay with them as long as CHECKPOINTS ARE AFTER THEM.

Don't make me watch your unskippable cinematic everytime I die (looking at you Metal Gear Solid)

Note: Maybe I should just get gud and not die after unskippable cinematics

• to keep this brief for now, I'm ok with them so long as they are not before a boss battle, or if they are they are relatively brief. I remember Kingdom Hearts having some 10-15 minute cutscene before one of the later battles with Rikku

• @dmcmaster Luckily they fixed that in Final Mix and added a skip function.