E3 Demos

• Anyone have any sort of idea what the overhead for releasing a convention demo to the general public might be?

Just looking at things like the Mega Man 11 demo EZA reported on and wondering why we all can't have a go? I know devs are worried that a demo might not be that stable, but early access games seem to do alright and people pay for those!

• Global Moderator

I imagine it just totally depends on the game really. We could still see a Megaman 11 demo but generally I imagine it's exactly what you mentioned. The stability of the demo and the cost of making sure that demo is in an excellent state. Putting more resources into a demo over the main game might not be worth it for exposure or making sure they hit the release date.

• I know the the E3 demos for Smash Bros, Soul Caliber 6, and Fighting Layer EX will be at CEO next week

• More often than it's not really a demo that you play at conventions. Most of the time you're demoing a build of the game with a set level. It doesn't need the same work to produce, it doesn't have to pass the standards for publishing that Microsoft and Sony set. It doesn't have to have anything removed from it that might spoil the game, because it's being played in a controlled environment, someone can't data mine the build.

In layman's terms, quite a lot of overhead is required, because you'll need developers, and QA testers just to put the demo together, and that's time taken away from putting the actual game together.

• @hazz3r said:

It doesn't have to have anything removed from it that might spoil the game, because it's being played in a controlled environment, someone can't data mine the build.

That's starting to change. I remember two E3s ago there was a coordinated attempt to datamine the BotW demo at the show, but the people responsible stupidly bragged about it on Twitter, and people who saw the tweets contacted Nintendo so they kept an eye out for it and caught them in the act. Of course part of that was that the demo was thirty minutes. I don't think the usual much shorter demos would even have time to get copied onto a flash drive.

• Usually demo's are released 2 weeka before a games release