Games get no respect

• I remember watching Troy Baker on one of the Kinda Funny shows and he said that what separates games from other mediums is that there is an element of skill involved. I'd never thought about that before, but I think he has a good point. I think a lot of people probably turn their nose up at games because they aren't any good at them.

• I'm not sure that video games getting no respect is a bad thing. When people write off something like video games, you aren't going to win their respect without having to live up to their standards, and to do that you'll probably have to lie to yourself.

I can only speak for myself, but I respect video games a lot more when they don't lie to themselves.

• @SeanMcGowan I agree to a certain point. There are many games that really don't require much skill, as they put forward story or some other feature far above skill. The Journey and Minecraft come to mind. So there's a game for all skill levels.
    Also, to read a book you must first learn the alphabet and an entire language. And even if you did that as a child, that doesn't mean it's easy or that it doesn't require any skill. Try to learn a new language and writing like Russian or Mandarin. It's really hard (unless you have extreme talent for languages). I would say that most games are easier to learn than a new language, that is needed to absorb content from other mediums like books, movies and music.
    It is also possible that he just didn't use the best word for it (skill). Games require for you to make certain actions and accept some decisions, unlike with other mediums, where you usually just passively absorb it. It is that activity that separates games from other mediums in my opinion.

• Cracked used to have good thought provoking content and even rather interesting write ups on obscure things like odd jobs, but it's gotten beyond awful. It's juvenile at this point.

• Global Moderator

@GoTaco said in Games get no respect:

Cracked used to have good thought provoking content and even rather interesting write ups on obscure things like odd jobs, but it's gotten beyond awful. It's juvenile at this point.

The biz of getting hits and clicks on written material has gotten so warped that it's likely many of the better writers probably moved to other outlets. Social media, content production and clickbait is a dirty and lean business without a lot of room for sustaining many talented writers.

• This is one of the worst opinion pieces I've ever read.

• I'm sure Cracked picks articles like this purely for the controversy. It probably gets them a lot of views

• Citizen Kane is the definition of style over substance. I personally consider Seven Samurai to have the best balance of of art and accessibility.

By accessibility, I mean entertaining to a wide audience. Many games that people consider art are either interactive movies, walking simulators, or hardcore RPGs that the average person will probably find boring or too obtuse.

Games that I've played that I consider to be the "Seven Samurais" of their genres:

Myst (Puzzle)
    Banjo-Kazooie (Platform)
    The Legend Of Zelda; Majora's Mask (Adventure)
    Halo 1 (First-person shooter)
    Super Smash Bros. Melee (Fighting)

I don't think any of these can possibly be compared with coloured blocks...

• I was really hoping this thread would relate to Rodney Dangerfield in some way.

• Banned

Cracked is the Newgrounds of this generation.