Shooter Reccomendations

• Hello!

I haven’t ever really played shooting games. I have trouble with motion sickness so I tend to avoid first person games, and I never played shooters growing up, so I never really got into them. I also have always thought that I just have bad aim, but I’ve learned that once I get used to a game, that isn’t necessarily true.

I started playing Splatoon 2 a few months ago and absolutely love it!!! I know that Splatoon isn’t really a typical shooter, but I imagine that the shooting itself probably isn’t too dissimilar from some other games. I’ve heard such good things about a lot of different shooters and I’d like to explore the genre now that I know I might enjoy it, but I’m not sure where to start.

3rd person shooters would obviously work best but I think some first person ones might be ok. I think it comes down to the steadiness/responsiveness of the camera when moving. Games like Metroid Prime make me super sick, but I recently picked up Fallout 4 and it’s only made me a mildly queasy, enough for me to handle at least.

I already own the Mass Effect Trilogy, but haven’t played it yet. I also own Bioshock Infinite and I made it in a few hours before I had to quit. Though I do own the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I’m reluctant to give it another go after my adverse reaction last time. Any shooters you would recommend or advice for mitigating motions sickness would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: Just found out I can play Fallout 4 3rd person so that’s a big plus.

• It all depends what you're ok with in terms of violence. If you don't mind violence/gore/etc., then Gears of War, Resident Evil, or Dead Space are different mechanically from one another, but are still third person. If you were looking for more online, The Division, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Warframe, or Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (1 or 2) are other potential options.

You my also want to clearly define what you're looking for from the third person perspective. What I mean is, things like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto and Hitman technically have third person shooting, I don't consider them third person shooters. But if those things fall into what you're looking for, those are good picks.

If you care at all about Star Wars, the Battlefront games allow to choose between perspectives, so you could play those in third person.

It's difficult to recommend games at such a base level when I'm not aware of your particular tastes, but I think I provided a diverse set of options. I hope this helped and there is at least one listed appealing to you.

Regardless, I hope you find games that you enjoy and are able to play.

• I would naturally recommend Uncharted and The Last of Us (not really shooters but have a lot of gunplay in them), they have pretty responsive cameras (Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy have more extensive camera settings too) although the camera in TLOU is intentionally a bit shaky in some situations.

It's not really a shooter but the Infamous games have a lot of shooting combat similiar to what you would find in regular shooters. I think it doesn't have much camera shakiness, maybe during explosions or when you're hit by a melee weapon.

Wolfenstein New Order and New Colossus are very solid FPS games. The camera movement is very responsive, but some of the weapon animations might give an impression of shakiness which could be a problem.

Doom (2016) is also very good, but it might be way too intense for you. Same could be said for Titanfall 2, it has a lot of wall running and dodging which might hit you hard.

I recommend you watch some gameplay videos of the shooters you're interested in first, might help you gauge your sickness. I unfortunately don't have any other advice since i'm not really in the know about motion sickness, i never had the problems you have with FPSes.

• I think Mass Effect would be a fine place to start, since you already own it

• Since you are already considering Mass Effect, I would throw in Alpha Protocol into the mix, it's really more of an RPG but the shooting in it can still be alright if that's the route you take and if you don't like it you can take other approaches, a great game really.

Aside from that I would recommend The Last of Us to anyone really.

No idea about motion sickness really, but most FPS I can think of are too hectic and I would think wouldn't be ideal for you case, but maybe something like STALKER or even the Metro games might work.

• Just throwing this out there because it's kind of out there, but I had tons of fun with Just Cause 2, that's third person. I don't know if the grappling would cause the quease though, but hopefully not? The shooting itself is pretty slow though so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't. I don't remember if Just Cause 3 was supposed to be better or worse, but I would bet you can get JC2 on the cheap nowadays.

I think Fallout 4 is a good choice. If you like that then I would maybe suggest Fallout New Vegas, I think the story is better and it still has some of the interesting mechanics like weapon mods, and also has the 3rd person option.

• Vanquish
    Stranglehold
    Hard Reset
    Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose - I hope you have a PS2.
    Evil Within 1 & 2
    Dead Space 1 & 2
    Max Payne 1 & 2. 3 might make you motion sickness due to the graphical effects, but luckily they can be turned off.
    Bullet Storm
    Serious Sam HD Collection
    Doom 4
    F.E.A.R

• @brawlman I have every PS console from P2 onward. So I’ll keep a look out.

• I personally prefer Bioshock Infinite (I'm in the minority) but you may want to give the OG Bioshock a try. It has much slower combat that is easier to digest and you're not ziplining through a floating city.

• As someone who always prefers 3rd person over 1st person I would not recommend playing Fallout in 3rd person.

If you're into online games you could give Fortnite Battle Royale a try, it's free.

• I hate TPS genre beside Max Payne and Mafia 1 as most of them are boring cover based shooters. and that also include vanquish.

as for FPS

DOOM
    STALKER SoC/COP
    Metro 2033 and Last Light
    Half life
    Deus Ex 1 and HR
    System Shock 2
    FEAR

• Honestly if you can handle Splatoon, you can probably handle almost anything except the fastest twitch shooters like Quake, Unreal Tournament, and such.

• I adore Mass Effect, so I would recommend that series but... it's not the shooting that stands out but the characters and story.
    Overwatch is pretty great, but I don't know if it would work but they do free weekends occasionally so you could try it out.

Otherwise I'd say Uncharted and Fallout 3 (not the biggest fan of 4)

• @black-cell said in Shooter Reccomendations:

I hate TPS genre beside Max Payne and Mafia 1 as most of them are boring cover based shooters. and that also include vanquish.

0_1530049320305_Girls.png

But thanks for reminding me of Vanquish.
    Play Vanquish. It is one of the best third person shooters in existence. Some of Platinum's best work in my opinion. Calling it a cover shooter is like calling Super Mario a puzzle game. You'll spend the majority of your time Sonicing around on your rocket knees at F-Zero speeds. The only time you should ever use cover is to immediately leap over it and headshot some alien scum in slow motion.

• @el-shmiablo said in Shooter Reccomendations:

@black-cell said in Shooter Reccomendations:

I hate TPS genre beside Max Payne and Mafia 1 as most of them are boring cover based shooters. and that also include vanquish.

0_1530049320305_Girls.png

But thanks for reminding me of Vanquish.
    Play Vanquish. It is one of the best third person shooters in existence. Some of Platinum's best work in my opinion. Calling it a cover shooter is like calling Super Mario a puzzle game. You'll spend the majority of your time Sonicing around on your rocket knees at F-Zero speeds. The only time you should ever use cover is to immediately leap over it and headshot some alien scum in slow motion.

I spent a lot of Vanquish in cover, because of how little health there is (because that's the only way to make health regen challenging). I agree with Black-Cell. The rocket slide looked dumb and didn't relieve the monotony much. The game was largely a disappointment for me. The world, characters and story were boring too.

• @el-shmiablo said in Shooter Reccomendations:

And to add to this, Vanquish is dirt cheap on the Steam Summer Sale right now. $8 CAD.

Sure you can probably find it $5 used somewhere in a bargain bin, but why actually leave the house? Vanquish is awesome. It aesthetically reminds me of MGS. Story is nothing to write home about. It's just super fun. Well worth $8.

BUT, if shooter games gave you motion sickness... idk about this one.