Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video

• Youtube Video

A very nice video showing how gaming evolved. a same game that release 20 years ago is now releasing in few month.

• As one of my all time favourites, I'm torn. The game does look really good, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm still not happy with the degree they've diverged from the original.

Even to this day, REmake has been heralded as possibly the best example of a video game remake, and that was one that actually changed very little at its core. It kept the camera angles, it kept the ink ribbons, it kept the same story beats and dialogue, just tried to make it all a little better; never in any of the praise back in the day did I read disappointment in how close they played the remake and that it lacked new surprises. Now it seems like people want it to shake things up as much as possible.

It looks good, as I said, but I have a lot of doubt I'll enjoy it more than replaying the original.

• I was really pleased by the use of fixed camera angles in Until Dawn, an expensive modern console game. Nobody does that anymore. It did a good job of showing what needed to be shown and captured the environments beautifully. The environments were also 3D instead of pictures, so the camera could move around more, which is even better.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

Why would you want these scenes to be shown with the usual zoomed in over the shoulder view? Modern third person games all play the same.

• @sheria said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

As one of my all time favourites, I'm torn. The game does look really good, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm still not happy with the degree they've diverged from the original.

Even to this day, REmake has been heralded as possibly the best example of a video game remake, and that was one that actually changed very little at its core. It kept the camera angles, it kept the ink ribbons, it kept the same story beats and dialogue, just tried to make it all a little better; never in any of the praise back in the day did I read disappointment in how close they played the remake and that it lacked new surprises. Now it seems like people want it to shake things up as much as possible.

It looks good, as I said, but I have a lot of doubt I'll enjoy it more than replaying the original.

if it would be same exact game. same fixed camera but with HD graphics it would be called remastered not remake.

my friend, this is proper remake and fixed camera donot work today. having OTS or first person means control and camera system is now much much better.

• @black-cell said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

@sheria said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

As one of my all time favourites, I'm torn. The game does look really good, and I'm looking forward to it, but I'm still not happy with the degree they've diverged from the original.

if it would be same exact game. same fixed camera but with HD graphics it would be called remastered not remake.

my friend, this is proper remake and fixed camera donot work today. having OTS or first person means control and camera system is now much much better.

Neither sentence is true.

@black-cell said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

@sheria said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

Neither sentence is true.

How it is not? its not a remaster but proper remake. RE2 has tons of problems not just graphics and updating only graphics would not justify full price.

now this looks like complete proper remake. using RE7 engine and gameplay in third person prespective the result in it can become best in series easily.

• I saw a similar, unfortunate debate with regards to Shadow of the Colossus. Please can people learn what constitutes a remaster and a remake. SotC is a remake btw.

• A remake is redesigning new assets from the ground up and putting it through the whole development pipeline. RE2 with fixed cameras would still be a remake. The 3D camera isn't the "remake" deal breaker here.

• @dipset said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

. The 3D camera isn't the "remake" deal breaker here.

It disappoints me, but it's true, it's not a deal breaker. I think I've actually seen enough to say this Is going to be good.

• @sheria

I meant it in the sense how Black Cell said fixed cameras would make it a remaster. That isn't true.

I personally prefer these kind of remakes. If a remake is very similar to the original I'm prone to nitpicking. Small changes will bother me a lot and in the end I will most likely prefer the original and never replay the remake again.

• Global Moderator

@black-cell REmake exists and very much does work today with fixed cameras. It's arguably the best remade game out there.

• @neocweeny said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

Small changes will bother me a lot and in the end I will most likely prefer the original and never replay the remake again.

Well, that's me too. though larger changes still result in the same preference. It's true though, I have more desire to play each one the more different the two are. I've always said that I enjoy REmake and RE1 equally; for me, the one doesn't replace the other.

• I see that a cacophony of others have already pointed out why BlackCell is (as usual) wrong, so I won't bother there.
    With that said, for those arguing that REmake didn't change much besides the graphics, I think you should revisit the original version and then try to say that again.

Also, as somebody already mentioned, I too thought it would be terrific if future RE games had basically pulled an Until Dawn with their presentation, but having seen RE2 I am quite happy with the direction they have taken.

• Yeah, I'll probably play RE2 either way. It does look nice.

• @el-shmiablo said in Resident Evil 2 original vs Remake comparision video:

I see that a cacophony of others have already pointed out why BlackCell is (as usual) wrong, so I won't bother there.
    With that said, for those arguing that REmake didn't change much besides the graphics, I think you should revisit the original version and then try to say that again.

Also, as somebody already mentioned, I too thought it would be terrific if future RE games had basically pulled an Until Dawn with their presentation, but having seen RE2 I am quite happy with the direction they have taken.

No no no. RE2 remake with fix camera maybe remake if it has todays graphics. but the thing is fixed camera means bad control atleast on PC.

for PC player like us. you cant play game with fixed camera by KB/M using wasd keys. by having OTS view it now work perfectly fine on PC with KB/M.

• @black-cell Not every game is (or should be) suited to mouse and keyboard. REmake controls just fine, especially since they offer non-tank options now, which admittedly makes the game a bit too easy.

@black-cell Not every game is (or should be) suited to mouse and keyboard.

why not? im a PC gamer. and i can only play games with KB/M.

• @black-cell I also play games on PC, but that doesn't mean I want to play Dark Souls, Ori and the Blind Forest, Street Fighter V, etc on keyboard and mouse.
    For shooting games there is objectively no better control scheme, but for a lot of other games it is downright abysmal.

For shooting games there is objectively no better control scheme, but for a lot of other games it is downright abysmal.

Usually depends on how it's done, to be honest.