Do FPS have better story than RPG games?

• Hello friends,

So there are 2 myth.

myth 1: FPS have bad story

myth 2: RPG have best story.

here we analyse that do FPS games have better story than RPG or not?

so here we have most popular RPG franchise like elder scrolls, fallout, mass effect and witcher.

witcher story is debatable but its based on book and its story is not very good. elder scroll and fallout story are crap even their fans believe both games story suck. mass effect story is also generic space story. compare them to single player story driven FPS like Half life, Metro, FEAR, System shock, Deus Ex have much better story than average RPG. some could argue that System shock and Deus Ex are not proper FPS but they are hybrid and they have better story than any of pure RPG. Half life pioneer how to tell the story without interrupting a gameplay when most RPG tell story thought lengthy dialogues system that can get very boring.

even DOOM has pretty good story if you pay attention to it.

im not saying that RPG have bad story. they have not. but the way i observe FPS do have better stories than RPG.

• Neither need to tell a bad story. I do feel that Non-FPS RPG's have the leading edge though.

• @sheria said in Do FPS have better story than RPG games?:

Neither need to tell a bad story. I do feel that Non-FPS RPG's have the leading edge though.

the problem with most RPG is they rely too much on quantity and dialouges as a result gameplay mechanics suffer.

the budget also spent alot on story and dialouges and choices but story still suffer. compare to games with no choices or dialouges system. they can deliver much better story. customizable character also suck because good story need full fledge protagonist.

• Global Moderator

I'm not sure I follow this at all. I haven't heard any myths that FPS games have bad stories and RPG games have the best stories. Both genres have good and bad stories like any other.

Also using hybrid examples like System Shock and Deus Ex as examples in comparison to 'true' RPGs is a bit weird since you could easily argue those games are far more like RPGs

• @black-cell said in Do FPS have better story than RPG games?:

so here we have most popular FPS franchise like f.e.a.r.,metro, doom and half-life.
    metro story is debatable but its based on book and its story is not very good. doom and half-life story are crap even their fans believe both games story suck. f.e.a.r. story is also generic horror story. compare them to single player story driven RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Witcher have much better story than average FPS. some could argue that Mass-Effect and Witcher are not proper RPG but they are hybrid and they have better story than any of pure FPS.

It is the sign of a particularly bad argument when you can take any part of it, change the names of things, and have be used against you just as effectively.

• Seriously how many variations of threads do you need to say the same thing. We get it metro, deus ex & f.e.a.r rule ( I agree) & every other game sucks.

• Global Moderator

Ya, I'm in agreement with FutureCorpse. These threads are constantly being created by you and mostly seem to be used to aggravate other people who like the games you don't. I don't really see why you have such a need to crap on other games that you don't like just to emphasis how much you like these games. Maybe create a blog post on the games you really love but this seems like another repeat of topics you've already created.

I'm locking the topic. If there is a lot of interest to reopen it, I will but I get the impression that a lot of members think the same way.