The Naughty Dog Agenda

• @tokyoslim said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

If there's a discussion in here, you're gonna have to stop throwing around code words like "PC nonsense" and "SJW agenda" and say what you mean. If you're so comfortable in your beliefs, just say them out loud and own it.

Are you mad that Ellie is a woman? Are you mad that this woman character happens to be a lesbian, and is therefore not expressly created to sexually titillate you? Are you mad that she kills men? Does that bother you? What is the ACTUAL issue? Must all games and all developers cater to the tastes of you specifically? Let's have an honest talk and unpack aaaaallll the gross shit we're dancing around here.

Spit it out!

Political correctness is just that, political correctness. Nothing really to elaberate on that, not in this case anyway.

I simply shared what I considered to be an interesting video for those interested, there was never any interest in sparking a huge debate, though I have enjoyed some of the responses to what was said in the video. The video says everything I have to say, any issues presented there are things I just happen to also agree with.

Sadly though, some people just can't help but hurl the personal insults, I'm glad I didn't engage further to be honest.

I'm a sad, lonely man-child who hates women and needs to grow up. I also get off to lewd anime apparently. I'm happy leaving it at that.

• @tokyoslim Fair point, it was a bit much. I was shit with women until my wife took pity on me.
    But as you said the world owes you nothing there is no point taking it out in other people. As for answers everyone got to find their own path.

• @dmcmaster said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

With that said there are times where I feel that focusing on one single aspect of a character or person that I think people start to miss the point.

None of which Naughty Dog has shown to be guilty of doing. Ellie's defining characteristic is not that she's gay, or a woman. In that trailer, her defining characteristic is that she's become so hardened by her experiences that she's a violent monster so bent on revenge that people should fear being on the wrong side of her. Anyone focusing on the kiss over that is reaching, imo.

As I mentioned to a friend on facebook the small controversy over the Freddie Mercury movie with people basically saying he wasn't gay enough in the ONE single trailer that has been released for it was pathetic, since 1. its a 2 minute trailer meant to get you amped up for a biopic about one of the greatest musical talents that passed on way too soon. (off topic, seriously hope they release a album of mashed together Queen music, as that was awesome) and 2. There was far, far more to Freddie then just him being gay, completely forgetting he was one talented artist, with many, many more amazing things about him and his life then he was gay.

This is kind of ignoring the whole continuing saga about this film starting off as a Freddie Mercury bio pic and some of the other members of Queen allegedly pressuring the film makers to not talk about his gayness to the point where Sacha Baron Cohen left the project over creative differences and it turned into a movie about Queen as a whole . And I'm a huge Queen fan. Freddie Mercury's queerness was a huge force of inspiration in his life and a factor in his death. I think that's where a lot of the backlash comes from. Not specifically from the 2 minutes you see in the trailer.

• @sheria

So basically: "I'm not actually making threads and posting on this forum (definition: a public meeting place for open discussion) to actually discuss things, i'm just here to post garbage to rile up people and then piss off when i'm called out on my bullshit!"

• @sheria said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

The video says everything I have to say

I don't think the video says anything cogent or well thought out. It's just a bunch of politely coded excuses. Sorry.

It's as politically "correct" as whatever it is you think it's against.

• @tokyoslim
    I'm aware that she is hardened, that is pretty clear from the first game, if anything the trailer showed that she is far, far more hardened to the world around her, possibly far more so then Joel is, and ND has done nothing but a fantastic job at fleshing out their charcters

As for the backstage drama on the Queen movie, I was actually unaware of that, I knew Sacha Baron Cohen left, but I thought it had something to do with one of the producers of the film.

And yes, I am aware that Freddie's queerness was a major inspiration in his life, but what I was seeing at the time were a bunch of people boiling his life down to that one aspect, forgetting or seemingly being unaware that there was far more to his life (or anyone's really) then that one aspect.

Also after watching the video (because this family gathering is pure pain, and if you cant say something nice, completely ignore them till you can feign nice) he really doesn't have a point, its just well presented nothingness

• @dmcmaster said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

ND has done nothing but a fantastic job at fleshing out their charcters

Yup

what I was seeing at the time were a bunch of people boiling his life down to that one aspect, forgetting or seemingly being unaware that there was far more to his life (or anyone's really) then that one aspect.

They may have been, but I think it was in the context of the rumors that it had been sanitized out of the story. I wasn't there though, so I don't know. :)

• @exist-2-inspire said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

@sheria

So basically: "I'm not actually making threads and posting on this forum (definition: a public meeting place for open discussion) to actually discuss things, i'm just here to post garbage to rile up people and then piss off when i'm called out on my bullshit!"

I discuss plenty here, but don't try and give me that sorry. There's plenty of things that are posted here which are more for sharing than sparking a big discussion. It's why I read all the reports/ videos in the weeb thread, the news thread is also another example.

Obviously I don't feel the video is garbage and if I had any wish to rile anybody up, I can assure you id be engaging.

• @el-shmiablo well for Last of Us 2
    Ellie is still infected
    The girl she just kissed will also probably get infected and then that entire camp will die
    That or knowing Druckman, there'll be some stupid asspull or retcon to make it so that doesn't happen

• @siegeh essentially
    It doesn't ruin gameplay (that's already been ruined anyways)
    It ruins stories in games, most lgbt characters are either written too forced in or serve no purpose in the game
    Like the DLC for Last of Us
    Out of everything you could've done to flesh the world out or at least see the story of another character like Marlene or Tess, we got a DLC that served nothing but say "btw Ellie plays for the same team"
    Chimon bruh

• @siegeh CBI is only contracted by inhilation or contact with spores. By the end of The Last of Us, Ellie has already been infected for over a year. Her wound did not sporulate.

I find it funny that the people who complain about this stuff most loudly clearly don't know what they are talking about in the first place.

Also if all you got from the DLC was "hurr ellie a lesbo" than I am perfectly fine with you not enjoying these games.

• @siegeh So your best example is of something you're predicting?

Just for arguments sake, let's just say it's a man that Ellie kisses instead, causing the same outcome. It being a woman has no impact on the conclusion you came to which just goes to show it has neither a positive or negative effect.

It's amazing how much you'll complain about things that you don't actually have any interest in.

• @tokeeffe9 2 things

1. She's still infected, spores or not its still gonna infect another person
    2. It's blantantly obvious what ND is doing anyways (and every other Western dev)

• @siegeh

1. I just explained to you how the virus in TLOU works. You are wrong.
    2. Considering less than 9% of games shown at E3 has a female protagonist, you literally have to ignore real life to imply what you are implying.
      The narrative you are trying to push is incorrect and very transparent.

• @siegeh said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

@tokeeffe9
    (and every other Western dev)

Thankfully no, I don't agree with that at all. Yes Druckmann seems quite keen to not just make the games he wants to make, but also try and hammer home to others that there's some kind of fundamental issues that apparently needs to change/be addressed in video games, but I don't see a lot of people truly listening thankfully.

• @siegeh said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

1. It's blantantly obvious what ND is doing anyways (and every other Western dev)

Shit, now I feel bad, I was never invited to the big Western dev conspiracy meetings!

• @siegeh Why are you addressing me with these points, I said let's assume your story.

• Banned

First page and the guy's already been called sperglord weirdo who has no life.

alt text

OT: It's very obvious that they have an agenda, they even said it themselves. I don't like when they bring in politically charged topics into video games, that's not why I play them. It's not a deal breaker when it comes to me buying the game, if it's good then it's good but I hate the fact that everything has to be about genders, race, and politics, I'm just tired of it all.

With that said I'm sure TLOU2 will be a great game even if it oozes ''Look how progressive we are!!'' from the developers.

• @mcgeezaks said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

I don't like when they bring in politically charged topics into video games, that's not why I play them.

That's the thing I find hilarious.

What "politically charged topic" is being brought into TLOU 2? If you're referring to the fact that Ellie has a girlfriend, how is this having a political agenda? Naughty Dog aren't the ones making a big deal out of it, you guys are!

The main character of this game just happens to be a lesbian girl. It's not supposed to be revolutionary, it's just a normal thing that's part of our world. Homosexuality isn't the theme of the game, is it? That's just a character trait she has, among many others. She could be heterosexual and kissing a guy in this trailer and the rest story would be exactly the same.

They had Nathan Drake who was very much a generic gung-ho straight white dude as a lead for 4 games, now they want to mix things up with a lesbian white girl. That's all there is to it. It's not even a matter of diversity but merely of variety.

The only people making it political are the people complaining about it.

• Man, the Yoshi and Birdo relationship in Mario Tennis must really piss you guys off.