The Naughty Dog Agenda

• @hazz3r said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

the Hainly Abrams character in Mass Effect Andromeda comes to mind.

Was this character not handled or written well? From reading that article... No.
    Her being trans isn't inherently bad. Her being trans as a token trans character in that clumsy way isn't great.

Did her character ruin the game? Considering I just finished a 107 hour play through of that game last week and I don't even think I saw this person - no? And comparing this to Ellie is kind of ridiculous. Ellie is clearly not a token character with poorly written dialog. So, doesn't really apply.

• @tokyoslim said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

@sheria Then you're failing to either understand the issue, or you're purposefully obfuscating it.

There's nothing forced about Ellie that isn't also Forced about Nathan Drake. If you're holding up her sexuality as being forced, then so is his. Both of them are fictitious characters that were written. One of them is not "more natural" than the other. All heterosexual characters who have relationships in games are written, just like all the gay ones are.

You continue to focus on individual games and characters and seem to have completely missed that that the video focuses on it all as a bigger picture, you're clearly also unaware of things Druckmann as happily admitted himself.

I could happily write a lesbian or unsexualised female for my next game, that doesn't mean I think there's an underline diversity or female objectification problem within gaming that needs to be addressed, nor does I mean that in allowing that to influence my artistic choices.

• @sheria said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

doesn't mean I think there's an underline diversity or female objectification problem within gaming that needs to be addressed.

Here we go... why do you suppose you "believe" that? Do you have any counter-evidence for the math that while roughly half of gamers are female, most games are made by men, with male protagonists?

• Banned

@tokyoslim That last paragraph reminded me of the outcry over the announcement you can have same sex relations in the new Assassins Creed. Homosexual relationships were so common in Ancient Greece as to be the norm. Warriors believed that true love could only be found on the battlefield with other men, and women were used primarily to propogate the war machine.

Sigh.

Personally I blame Jordan Peterson for this sudden resurgance in lazy Christian conservatism. He's turned babby's first social darwinism into some sort of fundamentalist movement.

@sheria said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

doesn't mean I think there's an underline diversity or female objectification problem within gaming that needs to be addressed.

Here we go... why do you suppose you "believe" that? Do you have any counter-evidence for the math that while roughly half of gamers are female, most games are made by men, with male protagonists?

I'm fully aware of how everything is thanks. That actually being a problem that's in need of rectification however is a very different question. Everyone here seems pretty adamant that it doesn't matter who or what you play as, as long as it's good. It would seem an imbalance in diversity never was an issue that needs to be fixed.

• Banned

@tokyoslim said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

So your argument is that media should only reflect the majority?

Yes that's totally what I'm saying.

No I'm saying that people won't think twice when straight people kiss because it's the norm in every society.

then it's also ok for videogames to have non-straight protagonists in them

I never said otherwise, I don't know why you're assuming so much.

or the people like me who don't define a person's whole worth and motivation based on who they kiss.

Give yourself a good 'ol pat yourself on the back.

@axel said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

I think that's the thing right there.
    How does Ellie being a lesbian feel forced or not a natural choice? Why can't a character be gay or a girl or black just for the hell of it? Why are white straight male characters the norm, but any other character type has to justify its existence somehow?

I don't know why you're grouping all of these things together but to answer your question, I don't care what gender/sexuality my character has unless the developers are being really tryhards about it

''Hey guys, wamen can be STRONK and cool to, did u know that?!''

''Did I mention I was BLACK?''

''Don't forget that I'm LESBIAN guys!''

It can be done right. Lee Everett from TWD is one of my favorite vidya characters of all time, the only time I think his race was brought up was in a comedic conversation during episode 2. I also like nu-Lara Croft better than the douche Drake from Uncharted.

I have no idea why they even included that dancing and kissing scene in the E3 trailer, they could've cut it and no real information would've been lost. I just think it was weird and weirdly cut, but that's just my opinion.

• @sheria How would you know if it's a problem or not? Have you polled a large number of women gamers to find out if they'd like more representation?

Or is it just a matter of you believing something based 100% on convenience for you?

• Banned

while roughly half of gamers are female

If you include mobile games, maybe. According to most of those statistics my 52 year old mother who plays candy crush on her phone is a gamer, why does she need more representation in actual video games?

@sheria How would you know if it's a problem or not? Have you polled a large number of women gamers to find out if they'd like more representation?

Or is it just a matter of you believing something based 100% on convenience for you?

It's based on something that's established itself just fine. If there's a call for new things, they will come naturally as and when publishers see a market for it. Ideology pushers all of a sudden, I don't welcome.

If it's of any interest to you, I prefer female leads in games. My top 5 favourite characters of all time are April Ryan, Kate Ryan, George Stobbart, Victoria McPherson and Shion Uzuki.

• @mcgeezaks said in The Naughty Dog Agenda:

So your argument is that media should only reflect the majority?

Yes that's totally what I'm saying.

Seems like that's your underlying point, yeah.

No I'm saying that people won't think twice when straight people kiss because it's the norm in every society.

People shouldn't think twice about lesbians kissing either. They do it a lot. Pretty normal.

Give yourself a good 'ol pat yourself on the back.

Thanks, I will!

It can be done right. Lee Everett from TWD is one of my favorite vidya characters of all time, the only time I think his race was brought up was in a comedic conversation during episode 2.

Are you aware that it sounds like you just said that the right way to handle black people is to not to acknowledge their race unless you're making it funny? That seems... ill worded.

I have no idea why they even included that dancing and kissing scene in the E3 trailer, they could've cut it and no real information would've been lost. I just think it was weird and weirdly cut, but that's just my opinion.

Strange, I learned more about the current situation in the game from that scene than I did from the first two trailers combined.

If there's a call for new things, they will come naturally as and when publishers see a market for it.

Ideology pushers all of a sudden, I don't welcome.

In this case B is a clear example of A - and you're just stubbornly refusing to believe it

while roughly half of gamers are female

If you include mobile games, maybe. According to most of those statistics my 52 year old mother who plays candy crush on her phone is a gamer, why does she need more representation in actual video games?

Agreed. But most of the main publishers know that, even so that they still said they see a female lead as possible risk to profits. But there's another recent "problem" pulled out of the air all of a sudden, that there's actually a problem with specific gender dominated hobbies. (or careers, or studies, or …)

If there's a call for new things, they will come naturally as and when publishers see a market for it.

In this case B is a clear example of A - and you're just stubbornly refusing to believe it

I'm sorry but simply standing up in defence of something is not the same position.

• Banned

Seems like that's your underlying point, yeah.

Then you should practice your reading comprehension.

People shouldn't think twice about lesbians kissing either. They do it a lot. Pretty normal.

But people do because it's not the norm.

Are you aware that it sounds like you just said that the right way to handle black people is to not to acknowledge their race unless you're making it funny? That seems... ill worded.

The best and right way is to not acknowledge their race at all, because being/having a black character shouldn't be painted up to be a big deal.

Strange, I learned more about the current situation in the game from that scene than I did from the first two trailers combined.

That doesn't say much since they told us absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry but simply standing up in defence of something is not the same position.

They are not simply standing up in defense. That's the entire point. This is what "it coming naturally and when publishers see a market for it" looks like man. TLOU2 is gonna sell like 8-10 million copies. lol

But people do because it's not the norm.

That's called prejudice

The best and right way is to not acknowledge their race at all, because being/having a black character shouldn't be painted up to be a big deal.

Yeah, that's not how it goes though. It might have been right for that character, but unless you're writing all black characters to never bring up or discuss or acknowledge that they are black - kinda seems like you want a silent token black guy.

• Banned

That's called prejudice

It's called seeing something you normally never see.

They are not simply standing up in defense. That's the entire point. This is what "it coming naturally and when publishers see a market for it" looks like man. TLOU2 is gonna sell like 8-10 million copies. lol

Ahh I see, sorry, misunderstood. Well, time will tell. It will sell well, no arguments there, but I personally disagree it will make any difference to the so called "issues" these few are concocting. But the thing is, if the games are such sure fire hits, there's actually no need for the underlining agenda push. Unfortunately, the fact that these are high profile and wanted games means Druckmann sees it as a nice little platform to try and give the industry a little nudge to see things in the way he wants it.

That's called prejudice

It's called seeing something you normally never see.

I see people kiss all the time. Lesbians even. I have a television and the internet. Welcome to 2018.

I personally disagree it will make any difference to the so called "issues" these few are concocting

If the issue as stated was a lack of games with women or queer protagonists, then by making exactly that kind of game, he's "making a difference" to the issue. :)