What is your opinion on Neo and Scorpio

• Well as we know, both MS and Sony are preparing to introduce a smartphone like business move to their consoles. In that old compatibility of games and apps will remain on early console models. But more robust gaming and other improvements, will be brought to newer hardware.

How do you feel about this. Now were also aware of the NX. But I personally can't say much about a product with information that is lacking. Although the NX being said to not being a sequel console, suggests something similiar to what sony and MS are doing.

• In my mind, Neo and Scorpio are two different things. Neo is clearly (spec wise) not intended to be a huge upgrade, it's being called the Playstation 4K because that's what it's for, playing 4K blu-ray disks and upscaling video to the 4k standard. It's not going to give you much, real life performance upgrade. Maybe something like going from locked 30 (when the game can hit 50 unlocked) to 60fps with occasional drops. Which is still a nice improvement, but it's not a generational leap, more like an overclocked edition. The main function is 4k compatibility with newer format Blu Rays and televisions. I feel like It's unlikely that we'll see a major hardware revision from Sony until the PS5. I don't believe they are adopting a "cell phone model" where there will be a "new" PS4 every few years.

The Scorpio, on the other hand, is seemingly a pretty big leap in hardware power. If they're serious about tethering it to the XBO, and making sure all the games play similarly, it might be massively wasting the capability of the new hardware. I'd be curious to see if the XBO scales like a PC, with the Scorpio versions of games being clearly superior, thus devaluing the current generation of hardware. This feels more like a generational leap with backwards compatibility to me than the PS4K does, and it think MS is moving more to a PC based system where there might be several kinds of Xboxes available of different power levels and all the games are essentially PC games that will play across any of them at varying framerates and graphics settings.

I could be wrong, but that's my thoughts on it.

• People keep telling me this isn't like the DSi or New 3DS, but that's all I see when I see these systems.

Maybe when they're actually out, and I can buy one at a store or see a demo of the actual differences, then I won't write it off quite like that, but for now I just don't see the big deal.

• I just hope they don't press their luck with price points. The cheapest iPhone in Canada is around $600 roughly and that's for like 8GB or whatever. We let that smartphone slope get really steep.

• I think if you don't care about 4K, like me, they are rather worthless, I will not make that jump for a good while. I mean I only jumped on this gen, besides Wii U which i bought at release, last year when I bought XB1 and PS4, not gonna replace them anytime soon.

• Neo's announcement is not out yet, even with the leaks, so it's hard to say what Sony has in mind because it could change quite a bit.

I'm not sure what Microsoft is going for. It's clearly a graphical separation between the two, supposingly, since the graphic fidelity should be massive. It's like releasing a brand new console generation. MS clearly lost, so they're just trying to find a new slate to cling to. Unfortunately, they still don't get it with their recent showing of the Scorpio. Sony is winning not because they have a slightly better spec console. They are winning because they have the games.

Microsoft release the Xbox S, which is a mistake. It clearly shows that the Scorpio is definitely going to be more expensive. I think Sony is probably going to release the Neo at PS4's launch price of $399. Neo is going to be like the Xbox One S, where it's going to be the refresh in terms of replacing the PS4 as opposed to Microsoft wanting to have two consoles at the same time. The thing with in PS4 and PS4 Neo is that PS4 already started out slim, sleek, with a nice form factor and at a nice price. Xbox One was ugly, big, a giant VCR, a hundred dollars more (because of Kinect), so the Xbox One S is just shedding off that original shell. PS4 Neo doesn't need to do that because PS4 was already that good, so I really think PS4 Neo is just going to replace the original PS4 at the launch price point.

Sony gets it. They don't want you to spend hundreds of dollars on a PS4 slim and PS4 Neo. They want you to use that money to buy games, not consoles, so they are just going to launch one update to the PS4 line. That's my take on it. I definitely don't like Microsoft's strategy.

• Pointless to me, I'm not in any hurry to spend money on a 4K TV when I could upgrade my PC instead.

• I've always prefered playstation. From time to time Xbox shows something that interests me but its never been enough for me to own a second console. With the news of Cross platform games, I instantly lost all interest in Xbox. The reason for this, is that recently I've been dipping me feet into PC gaming. I have a competent PC that isn't amazing but is still has higher specs than my PS4 and is still technologically relevant. This now means that if I ever feel like playing a Microsoft game I can just get it on my PC.

I will say I still prefer console gaming and this is where the Neo is relevant to me. I enjoy the playstation environment and its first party games. I still prefer gaming on a console and I would definitely enjoy a more powerful upgrade to PS4 that won't take 6 years.

With the Neo Vs Scorpio I think Neo has the advantage. This is of course only based on rumours and my opinion but from what I've heard, the Neo has an efficient way for games to work efficiently between the two systems engineering wise. This is the reason why the architecture is still so close and not a crazy jump like the Scorpio. its been communicated that the Neo is still very much a part of this generation and it's not trying to out grow it to fast. The issue that I see and I'm curious how it plays out, is that the Scorpio is a next gen leap. What do third party studios do? Now they're making games for the One, PC and ps4. Optimizing games for Neo (which based on rumours has been said to be a clever approach and is made to be easy) while now optimizing for a next gen Scorpio. This is also not mentioning the fact that Sony has a 2-1 market share. In my opinion the Scorpio is to soon. It's going to suffer from underutilizes power and lack of true support if not cared for properly. But only Microsoft knows how they plan to utilize it. I could be wrong and the Scorpio blows Sony out of the water and devs and consumer both prefer it. But we will see.

• Global Moderator

Personally, I'm not planning on getting either machine refresh as I already have the previous models. The only thing that could make me budge would be something along the lines of an insane insane killer app.

In terms of the Neo vs Scopio, I think it's safe to say VR is the main reason they're both going for an additional refresh. Sony has their own VR platform, while Microsoft is likely to just use oculus rift as their supported VR set. Broadly speaking I'm not too fond of incremental upgrades to consoles as it has gone mostly badly in the past due to the fairly closed architecture of consoles (ram on a PC can be easily swapped out so long as it's the right kind for example, but good luck trying to see if the modules can be swapped on consoles)

Having to buy a whole new machine is going to be a difficult swallow for most consumers, but I understand the motivation for the refreshes in terms of trying to future proof themselves as best they can.

Looking back, Sony tried for a while to hop on the 3D train with the PS3 and while it didn't take off there was a lot of chatter implying it could have, conversely the original wii chose an overly conservative technology approach by not including HDMI as an output prioritizing existing technology vs future HD tvs.

Time will tell if people adopt the premium models (or if Sony or MS eventually force the older models off the primary market) or if they just end up being curiosities for collectors etc due to low adoption.

• I'm dismayed by them. If Neo and Scorpio are reasonably successful, it seems obvious to me devs will optimize first for the most powerful console versions and then "back port" for the base machines. This is in fact how mobile development often works now. You run on the best device you have and then deal with older devices later – if at all.

Those back-ported games could suffer in a way they wouldn't have had they been targeted for a single console. I'm worried that if I don't pay up, I may see performance in future titles decrease.

• @iconmaster mmmm mobiles are like an annual or bi-annual release for an upgraded. These consoles are nearing their 4th year, which makes sense for a slim refresh to come out, except, this time, they're attempting graphical upgrades along with any physical upgrades.

• Seems to be some legitimate concern if Scorpio may just be too much of a leap. And apparently MS hasn't ruled out Scorpio exclusives, although the user base may not be there. But the real problem is potentially having a console that's very underutilized. Or potentially being priced too high. But that's probably why its being pushed to next year.

I was interested in nabbing Scorpio as I don't have an X1. But I may reconsider since its not going to be out till next holiday season. And may be out of my preferred price range. Meanwhile I can afford to get a nice bundle this holiday season. But I could pass since my avaliable gaming time, may decrease in the coming months.

• I'm fine with the idea of a shorter cycle if this plays out a bit like it does with iPhone 6 vs 62 or Samsung Galaxy S6/S7. If we get a mid-term bump in specs like PS4 and PS4k then, ideally, nobody should lose out on gameplay.

Don't think people will mind that a PS4 and PS4k or XBox One S/Scorpio exist at the same time if both parties can enjoy the same gameplay. There shouldn't be any features reserved for the more powerful ones, except actually using the horsepower these consoles bring to the table.

One upside from this might be that we'll see more graphics options in console games. If developers can optimise a game for PS4 and PS4k in that you have a choice of fidelity vs framerate, then that's an option that could be made available to users in general.

• I'm fine with 6 year cycles with a refresh after 3 years, i.e. PS4 > PS4K > PS5 > PS5K, etc. but backward comparability is a must, especially since they're essentially PC's now, there's no excuse.

Presumably PS4 games couldn't play PS5 games, but would share a library with PS4K.

• Global Moderator

I like the idea of the Neo and Scorpio simply because I think we've reached a point with technology where it is aimed at several groups of people.

I imagine eventually we'll get to the stage where we'll have our high end console, mid tier console and low console which will all keep iterating.

On top of that it should finally put an end to the issue of backwards compatibility and being able to play all old games too. I'm genuinely not as well versed on Xbox's past games but Sony need to get their act together and allow PS1 games on the PS4.

• To me it seems like a sign that this generation will last much longer then that last, which could be a good thing for developers.
    At the same time, I have to wonder will Neo and Scorpio offer enough benefits for people without 4K TV's/Monitors to warrant the price. I mean ill gladly upgrade to either so long as the benefits seem worth it, things like better framerate or framerate options (Locked 30, or Unlocked reaching 60), Better resolution (locked 1080p for everything), faster load times for everything all around (kinda a no duh), things of that nature.

At the same time we also have the NX a literal wildcard at this point and time, with nothing but rumor and speculation of what its capable of. Going off the rumors alone it seems its slightly more powerful then a PS4, some kind of hybrid Home/Handheld console, and is going to use some kind of custom cartridge (which honestly Id be excited to see Cartridges come back)