Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak"

• Shane is just upset that siftd hasn't taken off and probably thought this would have helped.

• @mbun Why show it it all then?

• @musou-tensei To build anticipation for your big project and to have something to backup the CG Trailer you show at the Press Conference so people understand that "it is real".

• He's a member of the press and it a behind closed doors event, what else was he expecting?

• @ochi said in Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak":

That said I personally think Shane made a mistake listening to the internet and releasing the recording in the manner he did.

I totally forgot that's how it happened. Really good point.

• @crepe said in Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak":

@ochi said in Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak":

That said I personally think Shane made a mistake listening to the internet and releasing the recording in the manner he did.

I totally forgot that's how it happened. Really good point.

But we can’t use that as an excuse. We and especially he, cant say that he is both a vet of the industry but someone who gave into peer pressure. Not saying this is Shane’s excuse but I warn against that line of thinking.

• Tricky situation. I understand that he wasn’t told not to do that, but recording audio of a gameplay demo isn’t really profound, it’s just kinda cheesy.

Like if he figured he wasn’t doing something wrong, then why not just record the whole thing on video? It’s not news breaking when everybody else has enough sense to not record and you are the only person dense enough to test your luck.

It’s annoying cause I’ve been to early access film events and stuff and they make you take your bags off, keep your phone in your bag, etc etc and you wonder, who is going to record the kids movie Coco at an industry early screening event, then you read stuff like this and realize that people will push their luck.

• Wait he didn't sign an NDA? Why is this bad then? Like, no one in a few years when the game actually comes out will think "Oh this looks cool... wait I remember when audio of this game leaked a few years ago, nah not buying this", leaking this did no harm to the game, the demo should have been shown to the public in the 1st place.
    I have to accuse CDPR for bribing journos with this exclusive showing of an anticipated game for favorable coverage (and if they think that's necessary, it doesn't really speaks well for the game). If you can show it to journos, you can show it to everyone.

• @musou-tensei

I think it goes two ways. Not to bolster academia or anyone's "credentials" but the general public is pretty inept in using proper language and descriptive words to accurately portray a product or experience. YouTube is a total mess of hyperbolic "reporting" and most of the time I find the professional journalists to be able to articulate themselves so much better than the rinky dink websites or YouTubers.

With that said, everybody else is going towards a public first approach and these media only events are slowly dying off. I see both sides. But I don't think having a closed doors demo is bribing.

• I heard about this today. I watched his response video and he came across as a real douchenozzle.

• @musou-tensei said in Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak":

Wait he didn't sign an NDA? Why is this bad then? Like, no one in a few years when the game actually comes out will think "Oh this looks cool... wait I remember when audio of this game leaked a few years ago, nah not buying this", leaking this did no harm to the game, the demo should have been shown to the public in the 1st place.

Of course no one signed an NDA, we got impressions of the demo. It’s bad because he’s just taking advantage of a situation trying to get some clicks. Everyone was asked not to record the demo, as an industry vet, you’d think he’d be aware of how a presentation like that works.
    And honestly, it’s not really a bad thing for us, it’s just a dumb thing for Shane. He’ll probably be blacklisted by the majority of the industry now. Whatever good faith he had with developers, he’s lost that now.

I have to accuse CDPR for bribing journos with this exclusive showing of an anticipated game for favorable coverage (and if they think that's necessary, it doesn't really speaks well for the game).

This makes absolutely no sense. Bribing journalists… my understanding is anyone at E3 could go and check out that demonstration. Clearly CDPR doesn’t feel like it is in a state to show to the public and I think that’s totally fair. Everyone still points to that Witcher demo and comparing it to the final product. Why would you show that to the public again, so early, just so they can scrutinize it and call you out on it later. The public doesn’t understand that things change, optimization is a thing that happens.

If you can show it to journos, you can show it to everyone.

The Days Gone coverage that Game Informer had the other month actually shows that isn’t the case at all. All the raw footage was down as pre beta or alpha and most people commented on animations, technical aspects of the game and frame rate… all things which the general user just isn’t used to seeing. This is why you show it to journalists who actually see games in this state quite often and at least have some idea of how worried someone could be on a game build before release.

• @tokeeffe9

I agree with you. The public has time and again established that they do not understand how the internal structure of development works. I've experienced this from the inside as well.

• Banned

@musou-tensei Yeah, a dozen pollacks in a tent bribed the entire industry to gush about their game with potato vodka and sausages.

• @musou-tensei
    Might want to take a second and look up the audio, at the very start clear as day they are told "No Recording of any kind"
    Youtube Video

• @el-shmiablo Wait... I thought I'm supposed to be the bigot here?

@DMCMaster Like I said CDPR is absolutely in the right to copyright strike his uploads.

• Global Moderator

This seem like a grey area - if there arent a NDA. However, when its behind closed doors I would say that there would be somekind of unwritten rule that it remains "hidden" unless the developer/publisher goes out and openly says "its ok to post". Just putting it out there are, at least in my eyes a kinda dick move. I understand that he is a journalist and he needs stories to survive and do his job. Yet I find this wrong, just as much as I hate normal leaks, let the developer show off their game when its ready. They have worked hard on it for a long time.

• Banned

@musou-tensei I'm polish.

• Also wanna add, Shane is a pretty good Editor In Chief last I checked. His era of GT was one of the coolest websites I've ever used. I remember the users of GT back in the day being baffled by a lot of his hot takes which were usually pretty vocal. I've disagreed with him numerous times but I think he has made a pretty solid career out of what he does, for better or worse.

• This happened because he gave RE6 a 9.3

• @iboshow said in Thoughts on Shane, Sifted and the CyberPunk 2077 audio "leak":

This happened because he gave RE6 a 9.3

I mean obviously