I've come to a decision...

• I recently bought a Switch, which I bought with Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2, and after spending about 4-6hrs in each I've decided that if N64 and GameCube games are still not available on it by the end of the year then I am going to get rid of it.

I have been wanting to play Splatoon since the reveal of the first game but it's just not the game I thought it would be. As for Mario, it has highlighted an issue I have always had with Mario games, and that is that Mario is way too fiddley to control, it's the same reason I can't stand Mario World.

I really wanted to get into the Nintendo catalogue, but every one I've ever tried, from Mario Kart to Animal Crossing, I have never had any fun in them.

I may keep it if Dragon Quest Builders 2 gets a release date, though.

• I'm getting it for Smash, Kart, Party, and that is probably it.
    Hoping Nintendo pulls up their pants and gets to worj on some games like a new F-Zero or Custom Robo.

• @darthammii said:

I have been wanting to play Splatoon since the reveal of the first game but it's just not the game I thought it would be.

More details please. What did you want from it, and what let you down?

I really wanted to get into the Nintendo catalogue, but every one I've ever tried, from Mario Kart to Animal Crossing, I have never had any fun in them.

What kind of games do you like? My favorite first party Switch games are Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. My favorite third party ones so far are Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania. None of that means you'll automatically like them though. All depends what you like. If you like Xcom, go for Mario+Rabbids. If you like Harvest Moon, pick up Stardew Valley. Don't be afraid to dip into those indies. They play great on Switch and don't drain the battery as fast in handheld mode as most the first party stuff.

• I agree with everything you've written in your post, especially the camera and control of Mario, but I don't regret the Switch. I just wish Nintendo dropped prices after a year or half year and had more options for the back catalog. I was very sick the other day and had to still hop on a phone call for work. It wasn't important for me to be actively in discussion and I turned on Mario Odyssey and had such an a-ha moment with how useful a portable console can be.

I don't think Nintendo can compete with the variety you can get with PC/PS4 but the exclusive Nintendo stuff can be really fun to play. Imagine how fun it'll be playing Super Mario Party and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate with a group of friends or bringing multiple Switches to work and having a sweet Mario Party game during lunch?

• @mbun

I may have worded my comment towards Splatoon incorrectly, but I just thought I would have fun zipping from kid to squid and painting stuff inbetween shooting people, but it feels a lot slower than I was anticapating. Maybe I have to level up but I don't think I'm gonna put the time in to see, if I'm honest.

And the games I like is many, I love The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest Builders, Pokemon Yellow, Yakuza, Ratchet & Clank.... I could go on all day really, lol. I like to think I'm open to try almost anything, for example I tried Corpse Party on the PSP on a whim - because it was Halloween and on offer - and I loved it. And I'm very interested in trying Kingdom Hearts 3, even though I've only ever played about two traditional JRPS. It's just something about the mechanics, the characters and the world/level design that feels shallow and/or awkward in the Nintendo games I've played.

All that being said, I very much enjoyed Luigis Mansion on the 3DS and would like a sequel :D

• I’m trying Zelda next week for the first time. I think Mario has been pretty gassed up and Zelda probably is gassed up too but don’t sell your Switch by end of year just because N64 isn’t on there. Give it a little bit more time.

PS3 was a mess at first but now it’s still worth having hooked up to your TV in 2018 because of the PS1 and PS2 back catalog. Switch might do the same.

• @dipset I have tried the Ocarina and Minish Cap Zelda's before and, again, couldn't get on with them. One big problem I have with Nintendo games(many other developers are guilty of this, too) is the forced tutorial and just the amount of text you need to read before getting to play the game, but I have heard that Breath of the Wind does a better job.

And I will probably give that new Pokemon game a shot, so that may see me keep the Switch into 2019.

• My opinion was always that if you don't like Nintendo IPs, don't bother with Nintendo systems unless you're the type of person who buys a system to play 1-2 (3rd party) exclusives.

• @darthammii said:

I may have worded my comment towards Splatoon incorrectly, but I just thought I would have fun zipping from kid to squid and painting stuff inbetween shooting people, but it feels a lot slower than I was anticapating. Maybe I have to level up but I don't think I'm gonna put the time in to see, if I'm honest.

Yeah, the game is slower than you'd expect base movement speed with the standard Splattershot. Keep in mind some other weapons slightly increase or decrease your base movement speed. There's also weapons like rollers that alter your movement speed when rolling with them. Inkbrush is the fastest when your brush is to the ground and is also a great weapon if you just want to paint more than splat enemies. There's also the Dualie weapon type, which have fast dodge rolls you can use with them. Bamboozler is a good weapon for run and gunning as well.

Obviously Hero Mode is good for practicing, but I think if you want a more frantic, fast-paced experience you should hop into Salmon Run. It gets nuts and really challenges you to optimize your movement to dodge things, reach enemies or recover eggs in time, revive your teammates, meet round quotas, etc. Outside PvE, I think you might also enjoy the Rainmaker or Clam Blitz Ranked modes as the objectives of those both require you to keep moving and planning out routes.

So I understand you might not want to put a ton of time into figuring out the intricacies of movement and wanted something more generally fast paced, but I do think you should try some of the above as it might really do it for you, particularly Salmon Run, the Inkbrush and Carbon Roller, and the Dualie weapon type.

And the games I like is many, I love The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest Builders, Pokemon Yellow, Yakuza, Ratchet & Clank.

The only thing that stands out as obvious from that list is Pokemon Yellow since Pokemon Let's Go is basically a Yellow reimagining sequel thing, so I'd recommend that when it comes out. Builders is on Switch, but if you already have it you probably don't want to double dip. [insert joke Minecraft recommendation here]

I have tried the Ocarina and Minish Cap Zelda's before and, again, couldn't get on with them. One big problem I have with Nintendo games(many other developers are guilty of this, too) is the forced tutorial and just the amount of text you need to read before getting to play the game, but I have heard that Breath of the Wind does a better job.

First off, Minish Cap is an awful game that's just tons of fetch quests in a row. Worst Zelda I've ever played. Breath of the Wild pretty much breaks all the Zelda conventions. If you like open world games at all, you should give it a shot. Way different than Ocarina of Time.

• Just a quick update, then the post can be ignored/deleted: I have returned the Switch. It just isn't for me, and reaffirms that other than Game Boy, Nintendo isn't for me.

• @darthammii Shame, curious about your complaint with odyssey's controls. considering that its probably the easiest platformer to control. Maybe you dont play that many? idk

• @bigdude1 I've never liked how Mario controls, he always just seems to fast and doesn't seem to go where I want him to go, for me at least, obviously I'm a rare case.

As for platformers, post having my Game Gear, I've never really played many 2D ones. I did enjoy the first Little Big Planet, mind. I love 3D platformers, Ratchet & Clank being my favourite.

• @darthammii yeah but from my experience ratchet isnt really much about its actual platforms and more about its weapons(from what i played, admittedly isnt much). LBP is a great platformer but it being mainly physics based usually off puts a lot of people from playing it more seriously . 3d Mario is way more mechanically complex and that might be ultimately why it doesn't break into the mainstream as much as the 2d ones. You'd probably like 3d world more.

• @bigdude1 Doubt it, I tried 3D Land and Galaxy and couldn't stand them either.

• @darthammii Do you like Smash?
    Because if you don't like Smash you may be allergic to fun.

• @el-shmiablo he's probably a Waluigi supporter...

• @el-shmiablo Never played it, but I don't like/have an attachment to any of the characters apart from Solid Snake. I love PlayStation All-Stars though, but I prefer the characters in that.

I think it's safe to say Nintendo just aren't for me, lol. A lot of the games that they make and people view as classics or masterpieces, I just get bored when watching or trying them. Didn't like Odyssey, got bored of Ocarina, HATE Animal Crossing, and found Splatoon 2 slow. But you can't say I haven't tried.

• @darthammii how can you say that Snake is the only character in Smash bros you like?

you listed a total of 3 Nintendo franchise's that are in Smash bros.

there aren't even Nintendo only characters in Smash Bros. but from all of video gaming

There's Mario
    There's Snake, as you already mentioned
    There's Sonic
    There's Megaman
    There's Street Fighter
    There's Castlevania
    There's Pac Man
    There's Final Fantasy, and not just Final Fantasy, but a fucking Final Fantasy 7 character that's from a Playstation exclusive game.

to say you don't like any of these other franchise's that are represented in Smash is like saying you hate video gaming as an Entire Medium. i don't think Smash Bros is the problem, i think you're just determined to hate it because Smash is a Nintendo exclusive game.

• @yoshi
    You can be attached to those franchises without really caring about there inclusion in Smash. As a FF fan, there are plenty of things with FF characters in them that I don't really care about. It can be for any number of reasons from not like the genre of game, to not feel the FF present is strong enough or a combination of those and other things.
    You're being overly defensive here.

• @sacred-arfaid even if i am i still highly doubt that he's ever even played a Super Smash Bros game in his entire life before.

i mean aside from a 1 time only Smash Bros clone game on PS3.