I've come to a decision...

• @dipset I have tried the Ocarina and Minish Cap Zelda's before and, again, couldn't get on with them. One big problem I have with Nintendo games(many other developers are guilty of this, too) is the forced tutorial and just the amount of text you need to read before getting to play the game, but I have heard that Breath of the Wind does a better job.

And I will probably give that new Pokemon game a shot, so that may see me keep the Switch into 2019.

• My opinion was always that if you don't like Nintendo IPs, don't bother with Nintendo systems unless you're the type of person who buys a system to play 1-2 (3rd party) exclusives.

• @darthammii said:

I may have worded my comment towards Splatoon incorrectly, but I just thought I would have fun zipping from kid to squid and painting stuff inbetween shooting people, but it feels a lot slower than I was anticapating. Maybe I have to level up but I don't think I'm gonna put the time in to see, if I'm honest.

Yeah, the game is slower than you'd expect base movement speed with the standard Splattershot. Keep in mind some other weapons slightly increase or decrease your base movement speed. There's also weapons like rollers that alter your movement speed when rolling with them. Inkbrush is the fastest when your brush is to the ground and is also a great weapon if you just want to paint more than splat enemies. There's also the Dualie weapon type, which have fast dodge rolls you can use with them. Bamboozler is a good weapon for run and gunning as well.

Obviously Hero Mode is good for practicing, but I think if you want a more frantic, fast-paced experience you should hop into Salmon Run. It gets nuts and really challenges you to optimize your movement to dodge things, reach enemies or recover eggs in time, revive your teammates, meet round quotas, etc. Outside PvE, I think you might also enjoy the Rainmaker or Clam Blitz Ranked modes as the objectives of those both require you to keep moving and planning out routes.

So I understand you might not want to put a ton of time into figuring out the intricacies of movement and wanted something more generally fast paced, but I do think you should try some of the above as it might really do it for you, particularly Salmon Run, the Inkbrush and Carbon Roller, and the Dualie weapon type.

And the games I like is many, I love The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest Builders, Pokemon Yellow, Yakuza, Ratchet & Clank.

The only thing that stands out as obvious from that list is Pokemon Yellow since Pokemon Let's Go is basically a Yellow reimagining sequel thing, so I'd recommend that when it comes out. Builders is on Switch, but if you already have it you probably don't want to double dip. [insert joke Minecraft recommendation here]

I have tried the Ocarina and Minish Cap Zelda's before and, again, couldn't get on with them. One big problem I have with Nintendo games(many other developers are guilty of this, too) is the forced tutorial and just the amount of text you need to read before getting to play the game, but I have heard that Breath of the Wind does a better job.

First off, Minish Cap is an awful game that's just tons of fetch quests in a row. Worst Zelda I've ever played. Breath of the Wild pretty much breaks all the Zelda conventions. If you like open world games at all, you should give it a shot. Way different than Ocarina of Time.

• Just a quick update, then the post can be ignored/deleted: I have returned the Switch. It just isn't for me, and reaffirms that other than Game Boy, Nintendo isn't for me.

• @darthammii Shame, curious about your complaint with odyssey's controls. considering that its probably the easiest platformer to control. Maybe you dont play that many? idk

• @bigdude1 I've never liked how Mario controls, he always just seems to fast and doesn't seem to go where I want him to go, for me at least, obviously I'm a rare case.

As for platformers, post having my Game Gear, I've never really played many 2D ones. I did enjoy the first Little Big Planet, mind. I love 3D platformers, Ratchet & Clank being my favourite.

• @darthammii yeah but from my experience ratchet isnt really much about its actual platforms and more about its weapons(from what i played, admittedly isnt much). LBP is a great platformer but it being mainly physics based usually off puts a lot of people from playing it more seriously . 3d Mario is way more mechanically complex and that might be ultimately why it doesn't break into the mainstream as much as the 2d ones. You'd probably like 3d world more.

• @bigdude1 Doubt it, I tried 3D Land and Galaxy and couldn't stand them either.

• @darthammii Do you like Smash?
    Because if you don't like Smash you may be allergic to fun.

• @el-shmiablo he's probably a Waluigi supporter...

• @el-shmiablo Never played it, but I don't like/have an attachment to any of the characters apart from Solid Snake. I love PlayStation All-Stars though, but I prefer the characters in that.

I think it's safe to say Nintendo just aren't for me, lol. A lot of the games that they make and people view as classics or masterpieces, I just get bored when watching or trying them. Didn't like Odyssey, got bored of Ocarina, HATE Animal Crossing, and found Splatoon 2 slow. But you can't say I haven't tried.

• @darthammii how can you say that Snake is the only character in Smash bros you like?

you listed a total of 3 Nintendo franchise's that are in Smash bros.

there aren't even Nintendo only characters in Smash Bros. but from all of video gaming

There's Mario
    There's Snake, as you already mentioned
    There's Sonic
    There's Megaman
    There's Street Fighter
    There's Castlevania
    There's Pac Man
    There's Final Fantasy, and not just Final Fantasy, but a fucking Final Fantasy 7 character that's from a Playstation exclusive game.

to say you don't like any of these other franchise's that are represented in Smash is like saying you hate video gaming as an Entire Medium. i don't think Smash Bros is the problem, i think you're just determined to hate it because Smash is a Nintendo exclusive game.

• @yoshi
    You can be attached to those franchises without really caring about there inclusion in Smash. As a FF fan, there are plenty of things with FF characters in them that I don't really care about. It can be for any number of reasons from not like the genre of game, to not feel the FF present is strong enough or a combination of those and other things.
    You're being overly defensive here.

• @sacred-arfaid even if i am i still highly doubt that he's ever even played a Super Smash Bros game in his entire life before.

i mean aside from a 1 time only Smash Bros clone game on PS3.

• Why does everyone have to like Smash, or Mario, or Zelda, or any other Nintendo franchise? I mean I love me some smash and I've got no gripes about Mario but it takes a lot to get me to care about a Zelda game and even then the only one I have any real attachment to is Wind Waker.

As for not feeling attached to any smash characters I totally understand that, until the Inklings were shown for Ultimate I never felt any kind of personal attachment to someone in the game. Even as a born and raised sega guy Sonic was never "my" character in brawl or 4.

• @hanabi said in I've come to a decision...:

Why does everyone have to like Smash, or Mario, or Zelda, or any other Nintendo franchise?

did i say everyone has to like Smash? no i didn't
    did i say that every has to like Nintendo franchise's either? no i didn't.

@hanabi said in I've come to a decision...:

As for not feeling attached to any smash characters I totally understand that, until the Inklings were shown for Ultimate I never felt any kind of personal attachment to someone in the game. Even as a born and raised sega guy Sonic was never "my" character in brawl or 4.

i never said he has to feel a personal attachment to someone in the game either.

I've never played a Castlevania game or a Final Fantasy game before and i suck ass at Street Fighter. but that doesn't mean i can't recognise how important and significant those franchise's are to the industry and videogaming culture as a whole and it certainly doesn't mean i can't find things to like about them either.

you can still find things to like about a game, especially in a crossover game as massive as this one is, even if you don't like the gameplay much (or in this case haven't even tried the gameplay of it)

playing Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon and then simply going "that's it i don't like Nintendo games at all. they just aren't for me" and blowing off Smash Bros without even trying is just being a negative nancy.

he even said he like's Playstation All Stars. you know, the Super Smash Bros clone?

ok he likes the characters in that game more than the ones on the Nintendo roster? that's fine. but if he likes Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, why wouldn't he like the actual gameplay of Super Smash Bros? the gameplay is pretty much the same. forget the characters.

• Attachment is the key factor in this and one of the major draws to a crossover type game. You need to be into a good chunk of the characters in the game and he doesn't feel like he does. He has an alternative to Smash that he has the attachment to in the form of All Stars, so Smash isn't of high value to him.

• @yoshi bro, chill

• @yoshi said in I've come to a decision...:

@darthammii how can you say that Snake is the only character in Smash bros you like?

you listed a total of 3 Nintendo franchise's that are in Smash bros.

there aren't even Nintendo only characters in Smash Bros. but from all of video gaming

There's Mario
    There's Snake, as you already mentioned
    There's Sonic
    There's Megaman
    There's Street Fighter
    There's Castlevania
    There's Pac Man
    There's Final Fantasy, and not just Final Fantasy, but a fucking Final Fantasy 7 character that's from a Playstation exclusive game.

to say you don't like any of these other franchise's that are represented in Smash is like saying you hate video gaming as an Entire Medium. i don't think Smash Bros is the problem, i think you're just determined to hate it because Smash is a Nintendo exclusive game.

How is saying that I don't like Megaman, Castlevania, ect, in any way saying that I hate video games? Also, implying that I bought Nintendo systems and games with the intent of reaffirming my love for PlayStation is idiotic, you may have that much spare time and money but I don't.

• @darthammii said:

Never played it (Smash)
    I love PlayStation All-Stars though

You should love Smash then, even if you aren't familiar with or into a portion of the characters. There's characters in Smash people didn't even know at all as a kid like Ness, Marth, Captain Falcon, etc. who they found out about through Smash, and it would probably be the same for you if you gave it a fair shake as you've admitted to liking the worse imitation knockoff clone of Smash. Assuming you're not just a fanboy who only loves Playstation All-Stars, solely because you love Playstation and the characters.

All that said, obviously you wouldn't want a console for ONE game, although I'd still argue there's got to be some sick indies and stuff on Switch you'd be into if you were willing to look. That's the key though. If you aren't even willing to see what's on the table, then of course you'll walk away feeling disappointed as you apparently have. Now if your intention was simply to test which first party Nintendo franchises you might be into, instead of buying a Switch, I would've recommended buying a SNES Classic. That way you could have a taste of Mario RPG (now Paper Mario), Yoshi, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Punch Out, Metroid, Mother, etc. and see which of those you're into, plus there's plenty third parties also on the SNES Classic if you're somehow into none of those. Sure you don't get the modern franchises like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, ARMS, and Splatoon, but you've already tested Animal Crossing and Splatoon, and those other two are pretty niche anyways to the point where I'd safely say you probably aren't into them if you didn't see them and immediately have interest or love RTS games in the case of Pikmin.

It is a shame you didn't hold onto the Switch until the end of the year as you said before, because Smash would've also been a great way to expose yourself to many franchises you're not familiar with and see which ones you like.