What is/was your favourite online multiplayer game?

• I don't play a lot of multiplayer, mainly due to the fact that I'm ultra crap at games, even the ones I am best at. but some games have made me get stuck in, get past the learning curve and let myself get drawn into the community of the online playerbase.

No game did that more than the fantastic Metal Gear Online, the multiplayer component found in Metal Gear Solid 4.

The maps were brilliant, some were based off of level from previous games in the series, the modes were great, but the best thing of all was the ranking system. The ranking system wasn't based on time spent or XP earned, it was purely skilled based. If you were level 4 and had a streak of winning games you might get promoted a level or two, but if you performed poorly you may have been demoted. It was brilliant.

There are a few other games like Call of Duty 4, The Last of Us, Destiny and Split/Second that I have enjoyed, but none have come close to MEtal Gear Online.

Youtube Video

• Battlefield 3 on the PS3, it's my first time playing an online multiplayer game aside from shitty free-to-play games. Since it's on consoles it was limited to 12v12 but it's still tons of fun... except for the Armored Kill expansion which had ridiculously big maps. Got addicted to it, bought the Premium Pass the minute it got announced, and i absolutely didn't regret it. Played for a total of like 100+ hours, memorized all of the maps.

My love for that game also started my routine of watching Youtube, there's a lot of BF focused channels i used to watch like LevelCapGaming, and of course the Battle Field Friends (BFF) animated series on Machinima.

I also made my first online friend here. i sniped him off a high-speed motorcycle, he DMed me (which takes some effort to do on the PS3) and challenged me on a sniper duel, and the rest is history. That's on my old PSN account though, so i lost contact with him/her.

I still remember how OP the M16A3 is on that game, the intensity of Rush in Operation metro (the points near the elevators in the middle are so chaotic) and how everyone started using KOBRA sights instead of regular RDS just because of LevelCapGaming's video about it.

I loved it so much back then that i made a dumb gameplay video about it, it's a cringe worthy material filled with old dead memes that's made by a 13 year old so keep that in mind :D
    Youtube Video

• Tribes and Tribes 2. Some of the best multiplayer mayhem ever conceived. Nothing quite like getting a blue plate special or dinging somebody a quarter mile out with a green egg.
    Ascend was even a decent successor, but unfortunately Hi-Rez ruined it by limiting flag speed and subsequently abandoned it for Smite

• I really liked Uncharted 2's multiplayer back in 2009. The climbing and the verticality did wonders to that experience. Played quite a lot with 3 and 4 as well, but the OG 2 remains my favourite. Really good maps.

• The original Call of Duty will always have a special place in my heart as my first and possibly favorite online game. I played regularly up until a few years ago when I was wrongfully banned from the server I played on >:|

I played a ton of Call of Duty 4 as well like most and in college went through a CSGO phase, racking up over 1000 hours before deciding it was enough haha. I also enjoy the Battlefield games and Red Orchestra/Rising Storms for something a little more authentic/team based

1. SOCOM II
    2. Warhawk
    3. Metal Gear Online (MGS4)
    4. Battlefield Bad Company 2
    5. Team Fortress 2
    6. Halo 3
    7. The Last of Us

That is my all time list. I generally favour the tactical and slow learning curve games that have a big reward once you understand the systems. These games are all but dead today. Sure, online games require tactics but more twitch based muscle memory as opposed to strategy. I’ll never forget the fun I had playing SOCOM II back in the day. They called it SoCrack for a reason.

• Global Moderator

So if we exclude MMO's, where I have spent A LOT of time in, there are a couple console shooters that have really bonded with me.

The game that really got my eyes opened for online shooting were Killzone 2 on my PS3. Here I start to spend a lot of serious time online and joined a clan, which some of its members Im still in contact with today.

Also the Battlefield series have given me some great memories, especially Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 where I've been lolling around and played with some close friends.

Most recently though, the game that have had most dedication from me without a doubt are Titanfall 2 which is just so so solid. This game is so good and I am still upset it didnt do better sale wise. Nothing will quite compare to the fluent gameplay. Wall run, slide jump and bounce onto a titan, rip out its battery and jump off as you blow it up, call in your own titan, push in the battery and go crazy on the field. It is simply beautiful.

• @dipset Did you ever try Socom Confrontation on PlayStation 3? I tried it but it was during my Call of Duty 4 phase and I could't get used to the gameplay, but I like to know if it was any good or not.

• @lotias I had the beta demo for Killzone 3 and I put hours into that just playing against bots, that was frigging brilliant.

• Global Moderator

@darthammii Yeah I played a lot of KZ3 as well! but 2 will always have a special place in my heart as it kinda helped kick off my console multiplayer life. Guerilla has become one of my favourite developers.

• Team Fortress 2 was my life for a while in 2010-2013ish. These days though if I want something multiplayer I'll either boot up 100% Orange Juice and play with some guys I know or I'll play Splatoon 2, depending on my mood.

• Definitely World of Warcraft, which I played solidly until the end of The Burning Crusade. I don't touch multiplayer games anymore though.

• I spent a lot of time playing CS 1.6

• I guess either Halo 3 or Mario Kart Wii which were the only games I played online for more than a few hours.

• Halo 3 is probably my favorite online game of all time, it had an incredible effect on me and gaming around the time it came out and years after.

My current favorite online game is probably Fortnite, me and my friends started playing BR games back in 2015 when H1Z1 released the real ''first'' BR game and I quickly accumulated around 700 hours in 2 years before the game took a turn for the worse. Also bought PUBG at launch but I only got 100 hours or so clocked, it was pretty...meh? Fortnite is fun, it brought its own spin to the BR genre and they're constantly releasing content for it.

• @lotias Killzone's slower and heavier feel of the controls works wonders for it's multiplayer, i played a lot of KZ3 especially. Getting that eye gouge execution in multiplayer is super satisfying.

• City of Heroes, I played that the full 8 years until it shut down. I've never liked the fantasy setting, its fine but so overdone. COH was a fantastic game brought down too soon. Also used to love any online FPS before stuff got hyper-competitive.

• MGO2, while I didn't get to spend much time playing it, and my internet back then was a total shit show (I remember the Brutal Legend demo taking 4-5 hours to download) it was my first real taste of online gaming filled with plenty of good and bad, same with Burnout Paradise. (that took even longer to update back then)

• Ultimately, the winner for me is FIFA. The way you progress up and down divisions is really smart as it mimics real life football, and you find your level and play against players of similar skill levels. Also, unlike shooters, which are all pretty much team based, my success or failure is all on me. That being said, big shout out to TLOU, which had no business being as good as it is.

• I put in a stupid amount of time to each of the Motorstorm games multiplayer.
    Really sad they didn't make a new one for this gen, instead choosing to make an actually decent simcade that was instantly forgotten about when GT Sport came out. Wacky high speed racers are in serious deficit this gen.