Days Gone (PS4)

• Stumbled on my first horde (death train), it's pretty terrifying seeing them run out of the train doors, especially since I didn't expect them at all. I would have died if I didn't have so much ammo and molotovs. So intense.

Also, I'm surprised by how engaged I am with the story so far. Deacon's an entertaining character, very well acted. His responses each time I skip Radio Free Oregon broadcasts (which is all the time) is on point. The other characters I met so far aren't shabby either, it's a "fun" bunch. This game gets better as it goes and I'm having quite a blast.

• So I'm starting to see a pretty big divide in the reception of this game between review scores and how regular users feel.
    I'm not saying one or the other is right or wrong, but that I haven't seen such a strong divide in reception over a game in a while.

Still not super interested, but what I've seen and heard from friends who have played the game is at least a lot more positive than I had expected.

Either way GG for getting over a 70 on Meta and winning me that bet, Days Gone. I'll be playing some Wolf 2 today because of you.

• Global Moderator

I don't know. I think something like Detroit was a far more divisive game.

From what I've played of Days Gone and seen from opinions and reviews is that it's a solid all round game that doesn't do anything particularly exceptional. Hitting that 7ish mark in reviews seems pretty reflective of that stance I think.

• Played for an hour and i like it but i can see the "swimming in 7" feel of the game.

• Beautiful skybox.
    0_1557178400248_s_compressed.jpg

Came across this, I must say it's a kinda more disgusting than the severed bodies I've seen so far.
    0_1557178463423_DAYS GONE_20190506125059_compressed.jpg

Also, the frame rate issues getting worse randomly. Granted, my PS4's been running all day, so I'll see if it's still as bad after letting it cool off.

• Japan's feeling it.

• That's kinda surprising, seems like something that would flop pretty badly in Japan.

• @dmcmaster Right? I was curious about this so I went to look for Japanese comments about DG in twitter and youtube. Overall sentiments are pretty positive. It seems that many people is excited for it because it's similar to TLOU, which is funny. I'm just using google translate though, I could be reading it wrong (it took me a while to realize that Google translated "freakers" as "free cars", I was so confused by this lol). Also, I found the video below, Sony's definitely doing some marketing for the game there.

Youtube Video

• Have to give Sony some credit on the sales of the game, they really did ramp up the marketing on Days Gone a ton right before release. I don't watch TV so I don't know how hard they pushed on that platform but the week or so leading up I was seeing Days Gone ads on Hulu all the time. Not to mention on every gaming site I'd visit.

Glad Sony pushed it, I think this game will appeal to a lot of the more casual fan base that isn't burned out on Zombie and Open World games. Still surprising to see it doing so well in Japan though. Hope the game sells well, I'm glad Sony is letting their first party devs get to make what they want, even if it doesn't always pan out (see The Order 1886)

• This is a really cool revelation if it is true, a bit of a spoiler warning first though:

https://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone-easter-eggs-suggest-its-really-a-syphon-filter-sequel-where-gabe-and-lian-failed-to-save-the-world/

• Went ahead and got it after realizing I had a shit ton of points via gamestop , and got it for $10.

So far it's not bad although I do wish the blue question Mark's stayed on the mini map longer .

• @dmcmaster I 100% agree about the blue question mark, I'm so tired of trying to head towards one only for it to disappear once I get in the general area.

• @themarcv
    It almost gives that weird "I came here for something feeling" you get when you go to the kitchen for a drink or something then forget till your back in your living room or whatever

• @dmcmaster I don't think it helps that the question marks sometimes represent a clue. I'd think im in the location of the question mark, but then I don't see anything around me, I often don't think to use the Witcher sense so I often just think I missed it.

• Video hits on a few good comparisons with Days Gone and The Order
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster Tried watching that video with no sound (im at work), doesn't come across hahah, I'll check it out when I get home.

I did just want to state, I normally jump from one game to another as they get released. Meaning Days Gone was going to get replaced with Rage 2 last week. Tried Rage 2, wasn't resonating with me as much and I'm back to Days Gone. This is a big win for Days Gone in my personal book, chances of me completing this game increased significantly. With a fairly light rest of May (Trover Saves the Universe being my only game on the horizon) I just might see credits on this one, I very rare feat for games in my collection.

• @themarcv
    Yeah the first few minutes are like trying to make DMC combat style videos using Days Gone as a joke.

• @dmcmaster Watched the video last night, its a good laugh but I don't really agree with stance they take. First after the play Days Gone like a DMC game their argument is that Days Gone and later The Order weren't critically received well because they were games in genres that were falling out of favor with the critics and public. While there might be some truth to that, the failings of Days Gone and, to a large extent, the Order have much more to do with design then genre.

The Order doesn't have a good gameplay loop, if any at all really. There's no consistency to how you progress through the Order. Sometimes you end up watching 2-3 CGI movies before your giving any control of your character and often movies are only divided with linear walking sections. In the rare cases you get to do some shooting those segments are too and far between. Add in one boss type they repeat throughout the game, short length, cliffhanger ending and you have the trappings of a poor game. It being a linear third person shooter is really not the reason its not a good game (though personally I enjoyed the Order, had a very cool world and fun idea. Shooting wasn't half bad either, just wanted more of everything).

Days Gone's issues are a bit different from what I can tell having played maybe 10-12 hours so far. The game has technical issues from frame rate drops to bugs. I've gotten a handful of fun bugs and have felt the frame drops but these haven't really deterred my enjoyment at all. The other big issue I've seen in reviews is the game is too long and gets repetitive. I haven't felt that yet either not being super far into the game yet.

I think these games genres may have been a factor but their failings go far beyond just that.

• 0_1558540048655_1558500103003.jpg