Days Gone (PS4)

• Seems like Sony is starting to push this game more. This weekend they had IGN do a bunch of sponsored videos from PAX South. Personally I would have waited a bit closer to release but think they want to keep the game in people's mind.

• Jim Sterling raised a good point in a video he did reviewing the latest video for the game.
    If this had been released closer to the start of the gen when Zombie Mania was at it's absolute peak and nobody had really seen a game with such fluid horde kinematics, it would have blown people's fucking minds to bits.
    Now we're approaching the end of the gen, people don't care about zombies anymore, and there are, like, 4 other games that have already done/are doing the gigantic horde thing.

I'm predicting 75-80 meta and topping out around 5 million sales. This game is surprisingly popular with normies.

• @el-shmiablo
    What other games are doing the horde thing, only thing that comes to mind is WWZ.

• @el-shmiablo What game calls a horde of 300 zombies small and Zombie Mania peak has never reached, it keeps rising.

• @dmcmaster Does State of Decay 2 count? Obviously wasn't as impressive numbers, and the game itself felt like it flopped, but that's what came to my mind. Dead Rising 4 is another failed attempt, even though I'm pretty sure those zombies don't travel in packs in any intentional way, but you can't really deny it being a horde of zombies. Dying Light is another example, and a sequel is on the way for that. We're a couple years out from when that craze was massive, but Days Gone was also announced what feels like ages ago, off the coattails of the craze if nothing else.

In the case of Days Gone it is more about the supposed way the horde roams with actual AI rather than just having a big ass pile of zombies though. Can't think of anything that's attempted that on the same scale, but how buggy this game has looked might be exactly why nobody else has taken an honest crack at it.

• It's weird the more i hear about the game the more I like like it(pretty deep mechanics etc) but the more I watch the game the less interested I am, many aspects of the shooting and gameplay don't look all that great. I have hopes being a Sony exclusive meaning they likely got the time they needed but yeah.

• I guess people aren't hyped for this or Resident Evil 2. No one cares about Zombies anymore.

• @iboshow i think people are hyped for both games, maybe more for RE2, but it depends where you look, also imo both games serve the casuals (gamers that don't watch/listen to gaming podcasts or use gaming forums).

• @iboshow I think the difference is that RE2 is a remake of one of the original zombie games and one of the most beloved entries in an incredibly popular and long running series, while Days Gone is just that other zombie game Sony makes.

• @el-shmiablo Sony's second zombie game after their first one is considered to be the best game of a generation. If it's another Zombie game then it's the 50th Capcom zombie game.

• Also, zombies in Resident Evil are meant to scare you, catch you off guard. Turn the corner, the camera changes and BAM! 12 zombies.

It's a shooting target, a plot device, a cinematic fear tactic as well as a fear tactic based on ammo, health, and how you manage resources. Very few games do zombies like Resident Evil does. Horde zombies can be great. I think of Dead Rising 1 and 2, or Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, but those games don't provide scares, cinematic moments, or fear based on survival skills.

What Days Gone has going for it is that it might merge open world survival sim and horde zombies well to create tense and scary moments. I personally, don't see it based on the gameplay demos where the player mows down hundreds of zombies and has unlimited ammo essentially.

I'll fess up if this turns out different than I expect.

• @dipset The point is people talk about that people are sick of Zombie games when 2 of the most desired games so far are TLOU II and RE2.

• @iboshow

I hear you but zombies aren’t like “the game”. I tried to explain it in my last post but it’s not coming out right. It’s like they compliment the game moreso than being the point.

I would say regardless, I’m less sick of zombies and more sick of literature, films, games, attempting to say something about the human condition all the while the world is quite literally falling apart at the seams. TLOU, Days Gone, Bird Box, Walking Dead, etc, etc.

It’s totally possible to convey these things without the world being apocalyptic. I think of classics like “The Sun Always Rises” by Hemingway. In film, I find older Italian films from directors like Antonioni or Fellini do an amazing job of this while taking place in regular society.

But that’s just me.

• 2nd video. All about the bike. I hope they learned from Mad Max and make collecting gasolines an actual necessity, and make fast travels cost gasoline or something to prevent it bypassing said necessity. That bear kill is dope though.

Youtube Video

• Part 3 of the World Series videos. Different types of Freakers, weapons, and all other things that's crucial in survival. I'm totally down for that Farcry 2 style weapon system (guns dropped by enemies suck, basically). I would love to see all the weapon types and customization available, that lever action rifle looks 10/10.

Youtube Video

• Well, this is kinda neat.

At the website it says:
    Please join us on this site
    Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 at 6:00am PT
    to watch the wedding of Deacon and Sarah

• New trailer, I don't think it's a good one. I wish that i can hear what the characters are saying, the music is too loud, you can just use a instrumental piece of the song and that would work better. Can't say I'm sold on the story yet. It'll probably work better if they just show the wedding scene first then switch to the present time at the very end.

Youtube Video

• I wanted to see more of the wedding.

• @bam541 Yeah seriously, I was really hoping they could finally convince me with that trailer, especially since they've been hyping it for days. And like you said, I could barely hear what she was saying, and it just didn't sell me enough on their relationship when the whole purpose of the trailer was to make feel something, anything.

I don't think there's anything they can do at this point to sell me on this game.

• I just realized that's Sam Witwer. Not used to seeing him with a beard. (as he is usually shown in Days Gone). But clean shaven, it's unmistakably him. Guess I haven't been paying attention.