Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned

• @el-shmiablo said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

@yoshi With the exception of Family Guy, I would say that the smart and nuanced political commentary of shows like South Park and Rick & Morty is sliiiightly different than somebody yelling racial slurs over a microphone.

i was talking about all vulgar language. not just racial slurs.

and no, a cartoon character yelling things like "asshole" "you bastard" or making political commentary about Trump etc does not make it anymore intelligent than when 2 normal people say that EXACT same kind of stuff to each other.

South Park and Rick & Morty shouldn't get a free pass just because they are cartoon tv shows.

it's either ok or its not.

• @yoshi

@yoshi said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

it's either ok or its not.

I'm sorry but that isn't how the world works.
    I never said that Rick & Morty get a free pass because they are cartoons. I said their humor is smarter and more nuanced than people who are just yelling stupid shit into a microphone because they suck at a game. South Park and Rick & Morty usually aren't offensive for the sake of being offensive, and are actually quite progressive with how their humor is presented.

So like I said, exposing the character of Jerry on Rick & Morty as a beta male sexist because of his opinions and actions towards women on the show is slightly different than somebody calling a person they've never met a faggot because they got shot in the head in a videogame.

There is such a thing as meaning and context.

• I gotta say, the quality of the game has gotten better because of this. There's less trolls on now.

• @yoshi said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

@el-shmiablo said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

@yoshi With the exception of Family Guy, I would say that the smart and nuanced political commentary of shows like South Park and Rick & Morty is sliiiightly different than somebody yelling racial slurs over a microphone.

i was talking about all vulgar language. not just racial slurs.

I wouldn't use a racial slur myself. But yeah, we know there's a much bigger picture to it all and this is but one more little piece of it. The range of words/comments that may or may not upset someone these days is so vast, I honestly don't know how they think they can draw lines with things like this. The policing of language is such a troubling move as a whole and unfortunately, it all starts with things like this.

• @sheria You are free to say whatever you want.
    That doesn't mean others need to entertain you or give you a platform.

• @el-shmiablo said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

@sheria You are free to say whatever you want.

Unfortunately, I've heard from many that want to challenge you on that.

• @sheria I know that it goes against your narrative, bit please read the rest of my post as well.
    Nobody is saying you can't use those words, just that they don't want you using them on their platform.
    Say whatever you want wherever you want, but don't pretend to be all shocked when your discover your actions have repercussions.

@sheria I know that it goes against your narrative, bit please read the rest of my post as well.
    Nobody is saying you can't use those words, just that they don't want you using them on their platform.
    Say whatever you want wherever you want, but don't pretend to be all shocked when your discover your actions have repercussions.

Umm, no. It's their game, they can do with it what they please. I don't even play the thing. I commented however because I am interested in the principle behind it and the larger picture it represents.

I wouldn't use the word shocked, that doesn't really fit at all. Some things that stand out for me about it all though are 1. How somewhat recent/sudden a bunch of things like this are being pushed as genuinely problematic and 2. How much cotton wool we are wrapping people in these days, how pretty & pathetic it all is and ultimately, the repercussions that I know come with it.

• @sheria Why did you bold that text specifically? I was just pointing out how you chose to ignore the rest of my post because it would be difficult to argue what you had been arguing had you actually replied to my post as a whole instead of cherrypicking from it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by how "suddenly" things like common decency being "pushed" on us are problematic. Games are becoming the most popular form of entertainment in the world from both a commercial and competitive standpoint. Games as big as Rainbow 6 want to distance themselves from trolls and vitriolic behaviour because of this. It isn't anything new at all. The same thing has happened in sports for decades.

• Global Moderator

@el-shmiablo said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

It isn't anything new at all. The same thing has happened in sports for decades.

Sports, movies, TV shows, anything with a wide audience.

The anonymity of the internet is a scourge on civil discourse. 99% of the people spouting off online wouldn't dream of doing it to someone face to face.

Things like this are becoming more 'problematic' because the consequences of things like online bullying, targeting people on social media is a relatively new thing. When people can be racist, homophobic or whatever else, with no real comebacks, bullying people to the brink of mental health issues and literal suicide, then of course companies are going to respond by trying to cut this type of stuff off.

I grew up in an era before Twitter or Facebook, it was nothing like it is today. If you said something nasty to someone you had to face the consequences. Like El Shmiablo said, it's about common decency.

• @mcrmj Unfortunately the Christian Conservative Right has gained a foothold recently thanks to people like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro excusing closeted bigotry under the guise of "fighting for free speech", so INCELs, MGTOWs, and various other right wing idealogues think because babby's first social darwinism is being pushed by some charismatic but ultimately misguided talking heads, being told to "be nice or go away" by some videogame peoples is some personal afront to them in an effort to appease an SJW bogeyman they've made up in their minds.

• I don't have a ton to say on the issue because I don't play the game but I don't see any issue with it. A lot of the arguments against it on this thread have involved slippery slopes/what ifs but I've never been one to buy into those too much. If a company does try to destroy our "free speech" then sure, rally against them, but if they're just targeting racial and homophobic slurs, is that really the sort of thing we should be defending? I think the most important comment was made here -

@bobbytrizzle said in Rainbow Six Siege players who use slurs are now getting instantly banned:

I gotta say, the quality of the game has gotten better because of this. There's less trolls on now.

Someone who plays the game is saying it feels better to play now. That's really the main thing we should be focusing on.

• I tend to swear at myself when I play, would this bot ban me or is it only for racial slurs?

• @el-shmiablo alt text

Mate, that is some first class reachin'. I am honestly so astounded that I can only give you the greatest slow clap I can muster. You truly are a first rate comedian.

• @luka Care to explain exactly what about it is reaching, or is a passive aggressive non-reply all I get?

• @sabotagethetruth Same here. Anyone trying to use a a bunch of what ifs and buts are mindlessly decieving themselves and defending assholes ruining the game. I don't like Siege, but I am glad Ubisoft is doing something right for once.

• @tokyoslim said:

I mean, you can be critical of the specifics or actual unintended consequences of any automated regulatory system such as dealing with false positives

@BrawlMan said:

Anyone trying to use a a bunch of what ifs and buts are mindlessly decieving themselves and defending assholes ruining the game.

Exactly why I stopped discussing this. If we can't talk about it maturely without resorting to "anyone who express concern for this is defending people using hate speech" finger pointing, then it isn't worth talking about at all. You're shutting down the potential for healthy discussion by saying anyone who disagrees for any reason is part of the problem, and that's the sort of unhealthy, extremist attitude I'm not willing to deal with. It is no better than tasteless political slander, and you can't expect anyone to want to hold a civil conversation on the topic when not agreeing with one side completely automatically labels them.

• @mbun weeeeellll, and on the other hand, I have not seen any particularly compelling arguments about how this is being poorly implemented. Outrage videos that you're not allowed to change the N word slightly to avoid detection are not really showing me it's not working as intended.

In fact the anecdotal evidence in this very thread shows that it's working well.

• @el-shmiablo Literally everything you stated in the post I had replied to.

This is the kind of dumb stuff that I would expect to find on some random conspiracy site. Honestly, I thought you were joking/trolling at first. However, it is clear that you are being completely serious and I just... I haven't been able to stop laughing at the sheer idiocy of it all. Thank you for the laughs.

• @luka So the latter. Cool.